Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Connected but no Internet

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Sep-2012, 03:04 PM #1
Exclamation Connected but no Internet
I have a netbook Acer Aspire One with Windows XP. The problem is that when I try to connect to the internet through the Ethernet cable (directly), I get the message of "limited or no connectivity". When I try to connect wireless though the router, the laptop apparently connects to the Internet, but when I try open any webpage I can't, like if there is no internet connection. I called to my internet connection company, they tried to fix the problem, looking if there was something wrong with its service or the connection. But, they ended telling me that everything it's ok, that's it should be a problem with the computer. Something important is that I have a desktop that is connected to the same internet connection I was trying to connect the netbook, and I have no problem with my internet. If there is something you could tell me that I can try to get the problem solved, I will appreciated it. Or, if there is a possibility that there is something wrong with any hardware of this netbook that I can replace, please let me know. Anything that you could tell me about this problem, I will be so thankful!

Last edited by zuaniarosario; 13-Sep-2012 at 03:10 PM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,927 posts.

13-Sep-2012, 05:49 PM #2
Do you have service pack 3 installed? If not, please do so.

What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on this system?

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:
IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.
Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Sep-2012, 01:45 AM #3
I already installed Service Pack 3 for Windows XP. My computer just has Windows Firewall. I don't know what do you mean with NETWORKS PAGE, please let me know to submit this info.

Here are the results from the command window:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\CELE>IPCONFIG /ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : CELESTE
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR8132 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-23-5A-9A-5C-57
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.34.71
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-2C-8B-24-5D

C:\Documents and Settings\CELE>IPCONFIG /ALL
Member with 100 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Sep-2012, 02:48 AM #4
Hello Zuaniarosario

The networks page being referred to can be found in the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector software that TerryNet referred you to in his number 2 post above. Please follow the instructions and paste the screenshot for our reference.

Could you also take this opportunity to check that you do not have any issue with your drivers for your network adapter? This can be done by checking in your device manager. Instructions are as below:
-------------------------------------------------

Device Manager
Post back the results in device manager
You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC.
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the screen shot and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

how to access device manager for different windows versions
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000833.htm

Hold the Windows key and press Pause key, should open to allow device manager to be seen

on a laptop you may need to use Hold the Windows key and press FN key + the pause key

if this does not work then -

Windows 7 or Vista
Click on the Start Orb
In the Start Search box type
device manager and then press enter

-------------------

Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
windows 7
start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager

network adaptors, click on the + > post back the devices listed there
are there any ! ? or X

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window.
1) hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
OR
2) if you are using Vista/Windows 7 you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_...g_a_Screenshot
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,927 posts.

14-Sep-2012, 06:21 AM #5
A typical cause of your ethernet problem--not getting an IP configuration assigned--is a firewall. Could also be that the router's Dhcp server is disabled or its assignable address range has been exhausted or a defective cable or NIC.

The following was put together mostly by etaf with a little help from me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Atheros Wireless Adapter - AR5007EG & AR5007
Over the last couple of years we have been seeing a lot of problems with the above adapters, mainly concerning WPA and WPA2 encryption and mainly on windows Vista.
We have seen just a couple of issues on other windows operating system, windows XP and windows 7.

Windows XP:- A driver update has resolved the issue
Windows 7 :- No conclusive results for a fix

The wireless adapter gets an IP configuration, and shows as connected, but communication is non-existent or sporadic.

Log into the Router and disable the wireless security and see if you are now able to connect to the internet and surf OK.
Please post back a reply here, and let us know if that works or does not work.
If you post back the make and exact model of the router - we can advise how to disable the wireless security

Here are a number of possible solutions

--- 1) In Device Manager right click on the wireless adapter and "update driver."

--- 2) Download and install the latest wireless driver from your laptop manufacturer's web site support section,

If you post a reply here with the Make and EXACT model of your PC, along with the windows version you are running. we will see if we can find a link to the driver and will post a reply with the link here.

--- 3) On one occasion re-setting the router back to factory default and re-configuring the router settings has resolved the issue

--- 4) The majority of members, have now used the drivers from the atheros driver site, which has resolved the issue.
- see below for direct links for windows vista and the link for all Atheros adapters and supported operating systems

AR5007
Vista 32 / 64 Bit
Direct link Drivers for Atheros AR5007 and Windows Vista 32 / 64 bit
You only need to click on the green download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started

AR5007EG
Vista 32 / 64 Bit
Direct link Drivers for Atheros AR5007EG and Windows Vista 32 / 64 bit
You only need to click on the green download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started

Drivers for the other windows operating system
http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-drivers.php
You need to look down the page for your particular adapter model and then look across the columns to find your windows version.
Now click on the blue tick mark in the column under your windows version.
This will open another page for that particular adapter and that windows version.

Now click on the download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started

Assuming that after all the above the wireless still does not connect to the internet, all I can suggest is to use wireless security of WEP or to get an external USB wireless card.

Please post a reply here , and keep us informed of the situation and how you finally resolved the issue.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
connected but no internet, limited or no connection

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!