Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Wifi doesn't work

(!)

Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
15-Sep-2012, 12:23 AM #1
Wifi doesn't work
I got a new Asus RT-N10E router. Using it over Windows 7.

Router was working fine until someone switched it off once. Now though I can see other wifi signals, my router doesn't show up. I have tried removing the connection and searching for it again. It doesn't work. I tried completely switching off the router and restarting my computer. That too doesn't work.

Strangest of all, I can see the connection over my smartphone, my kindle Fire but not on my laptop.

Please help me out guys.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 49,807 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Sep-2012, 10:36 AM #2
any other PCs with wireless can they see it?

post back the name of your wireless and an xirrus screen shot
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and install the program.
You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
Direct link to the program is here http://info.xirrus.com/Wi-FiInspectorConfirmation.html

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil.../download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
if you get an error - You need will need to have NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/cdn/pdf/Xirrus...-1-RevB-6.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running.
if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information.

post which SSID name is yours, its located in the list, under network "Adapter Name" (1st column)

To post a screen shot of the active window.
1) hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
OR
2) if you are using Vista/Windows 7 you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_...g_a_Screenshot

Note:
For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better. "A desirable signal level for a robust Wi-Fi connection will be green".
note: the signal level is a negative number, so for example -88 is worst and -40 is better

If you are using the Mac OS then use http://www.istumbler.net/ or
if you want to optimise base station position and signal strength / dead spots use
http://www.chimoosoft.com/products/apgrapher/ which has a graph function to monitor signal
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member with 3 posts.

16-Sep-2012, 04:08 AM #3
Sadly dont have another laptop at home. Connection works just fine on smartphone and tablets I tried switching off etc but dint help.
Then I looked up my wifi card: Atheros AR9285. seems it has a history of disappearing connection names.

While was messing around with some setting the connection suddenly started working. Never knew what happened. To see if the issue was permanently resolved or not, I switched off the wifi router. The connection disappeared again. Tried everything, dint work. Even Xirrus dint show the connection.

Then I tried Commview for Wifi. I scanned the connections and found normally my connection within the first 11 bands was in the 12th. I closed commview (cause it changes the wifi to capture mode) and my connection was recognised.

Any tips how to avoid this?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,945 posts.

16-Sep-2012, 08:14 AM #4
I'm not understanding this, but had an idea. Does your adapter or its driver only support channels 1-11 (as in North America), but you have the router set to use additional channels or the router is set to Auto select a channel and sometimes it selects 12 or 13? If so, just change the router to use one of the 1-11 channels is one fix.
Member with 3 posts.

16-Sep-2012, 02:56 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
I'm not understanding this, but had an idea. Does your adapter or its driver only support channels 1-11 (as in North America), but you have the router set to use additional channels or the router is set to Auto select a channel and sometimes it selects 12 or 13? If so, just change the router to use one of the 1-11 channels is one fix.
Exactly. When frequency goes within the upper band ie channel 12 it doesn't show. Strange thing is once I initiate a connection in Commview Wifi (during which the card goes into capture mode) it sees the 12th channel. I guess owing to Commview's driver. When I exit back to my main driver, it suddenly starts seeing the 12th channel.

Whereas when its within 1-11 it works just fine. Now I am confused how to set router to select only 1-11.

Last edited by bvnsskv; 16-Sep-2012 at 03:12 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!