Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Connection to 2.4GHz, but not 5 GHz, using dual-band gaming adapter for X360

(!)

Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Sep-2012, 01:44 AM #1
Connection to 2.4GHz, but not 5 GHz, using dual-band gaming adapter for X360
Hello everyone, I definitely need some help here.

I have been using my WGA600N Linksys Gaming Adapter to connect my Xbox 360 S to my wireless router two floors above for years now. The main reason I bought it was to give the 360 access to the 5 GHz frequency on my dual-band routers, which I have heard (and experienced) is better for wireless gaming than a 2.4 frequency.

However, after switching routers from the old Linksys E3000 to the new EA4500, I can no longer access the 5 GHz connection through this adapter, or on the Xbox at all it seems. I have tried nearly everything I can think of that worked in the past (which seems to be anything except the lousy setup CD), mainly connecting the WGA600n to my laptop with an ethernet and accessing its setup utility using a static IP address (I hope I said that correctly). For example:
setting the 5 and 2.4 Ghz frequencies to either the same or different SSIDs
setting the password to these frequencies to matching and non-matching passcodes
changing the visibility of the 5GHz network from non-broadcasting to a broadcasting signal
setting the adapter to search for 5GHz only, not mixed 2.4/5
Those are the most obvious that I can think of, but there are probably more in the hours I have wasted on this. The strange thing is...
the adapter can connect to the 2.4 frequency, not the 5.

How do I know this? When trying to connect to a 'mixed' signal, the adapter constantly searches for channels (as far as I can tell). When connecting to a 2.4 GHz channel (3, 6, etc.) the status of the device on the setup utility reads 'Associated with [SSID]'. Then, when the channel switches to a 5 GHz (40, 149, etc.) the status switches to 'Not associated with any AP'. The flashing lights are also indicative of this: when there are clear differences in the lights between 'associated' (connected) and 'not associated'.

I have also tried just connecting to the 2.4 frequency, but the connection is just awful (which I assume is the result of using many wireless devices from the loft to the basement). On a side note, when connected, the 360 typically recommends switching the NAT type from 'Moderate' to 'Open'. On the router setup, there is an option to enable or disable NAT, the latter of which causes the entire network to lose internet connectivity.

I am probably leaving out some other important detail, but that's quite a long read. Any thoughts on this??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,298 posts.

15-Sep-2012, 10:25 AM #2
can we see the adapter connected to a PC and the router broadcasting 2.4 and 5 signals
then post a xirrus screen shot

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and install the program.
You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
Direct link to the program is here http://info.xirrus.com/Wi-FiInspectorConfirmation.html

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil.../download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
if you get an error - You need will need to have NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/cdn/pdf/Xirrus...-1-RevB-6.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running.
if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information.

post which SSID name is yours, its located in the list, under network "Adapter Name" (1st column)

To post a screen shot of the active window.
1) hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
OR
2) if you are using Vista/Windows 7 you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_...g_a_Screenshot

Note:
For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better. "A desirable signal level for a robust Wi-Fi connection will be green".
note: the signal level is a negative number, so for example -88 is worst and -40 is better

If you are using the Mac OS then use http://www.istumbler.net/ or
if you want to optimise base station position and signal strength / dead spots use
http://www.chimoosoft.com/products/apgrapher/ which has a graph function to monitor signal
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member with 7 posts.

15-Sep-2012, 12:46 PM #3
OK, the attachment should be there, as a JPG. The network is CRUZ-NET for the 2.4, and CRUZ-NET5 for the 5GHz (this is the setup we have been using since we got the new router). The others are secondary/guest networks.

Also, I believe these are the wireless connections for my laptop, not the gaming adapter, I could not easily figure out how to display it on Xirrus, and if that's what you wanted, then I apologize for my ineptness...
Attached Thumbnails
Connection to 2.4GHz, but not 5 GHz, using dual-band gaming adapter for X360-xirrus.jpg  
Computer Specs

15-Sep-2012, 01:02 PM #4
as your laptop can see the 5ghz signal can it connect to it with the internal adapter ?
Member with 7 posts.

15-Sep-2012, 04:06 PM #5
Yes, the laptop can connect just fine. Unfortunately, I want the Xbox to connect to the 5 GHz... so the other way around. Go figure
Computer Specs

15-Sep-2012, 04:12 PM #6
can it connect on the PC in the same location as the xbox - can we see an xirrus screen shot from that location
Member with 7 posts.

15-Sep-2012, 08:40 PM #7
Yes, the laptop can connect-- however, the signal is very much diminished two floors below. Perhaps this is the cause?
Attached Thumbnails
Connection to 2.4GHz, but not 5 GHz, using dual-band gaming adapter for X360-xirrus2.jpg  
Computer Specs

16-Sep-2012, 04:29 AM #8
-82 is to low - you need -70 or better (note the negative)
appears the old Linksys E3000 gives a stronger signal to the new EA4500
do you have the old E3000 just to test that theory with the laptop
Member with 7 posts.

16-Sep-2012, 09:26 AM #9
No, unfortunately it stopped working
Computer Specs

16-Sep-2012, 11:43 AM #10
i would try moving the router - even a few feet can make a difference - also does it have an external aerial if so move that by just 90 degress can make a difference

also try different channels
Member with 7 posts.

16-Sep-2012, 02:12 PM #11
Well, we can't really move the router-- it is already as close to the basement as it can get without foregoing the ethernet-desktop connection.

What do you mean by external aerial (antenna I guess?), and how would I go about changing the channels effectively? I thought the router/adapter changed channels automatically anyhow, but please correct me if that is not the case.
Computer Specs

16-Sep-2012, 02:20 PM #12
Quote:
Well, we can't really move the router-- it is already as close to the basement as it can get without foregoing the ethernet-desktop connection.
a movement of a few feet may help - if that can be done and still keep the cable connection
Quote:
What do you mean by external aerial (antenna I guess?),
yes
Quote:
and how would I go about changing the channels effectively?
by logging into the router and going to the wireless configuration pages and changing the channel
Member with 7 posts.

18-Sep-2012, 05:30 PM #13
No luck. I think I might have a spare 5GHz router lying around; would I be able to use it to extend the range of the EA4500? I read somewhere about this but am not sure of its plausibility...
Computer Specs

18-Sep-2012, 05:36 PM #14
Quote:
I think I might have a spare 5GHz router lying around;
switch it on and see what quality of signal you get with that in the current router location
whats the make and model ?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
dual band, ea4500, gaming, linksys, wga600n

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!