Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Samsung printer offline - I've tried the usual

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Oct-2012, 10:27 AM #1
Samsung printer offline - I've tried the usual
Hi,

Bought a new Samsung SCX-3400 B&W laser printer. After working fine for a day, it now won't come online, says offline on the computer. When I wake it up by pressing power button on printer it looks ok on the printer (green light status, solid blue light wps). Troubleshooting just says can't connect to printer. I've tried reinstalling but that hasn't worked either. Please help! I have 100s of pages to print!

Many thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

03-Oct-2012, 11:01 AM #2
UPDATE

Finally managed to reinstall but every time I try to print it prints a couple of pages then says port error and stops the print job. Please help!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,770 posts.

03-Oct-2012, 11:12 AM #3
Since you posted in Networking I guess we are supposed to assume the printer is network connected. Ethernet or Wi-Fi? Is your laptop connected by ethernet or Wi-Fi? Have you checked to make sure the PC is not losing its network connection? Have you check to make sure the printer is not losing its network connection?
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

03-Oct-2012, 12:02 PM #4
Hi thanks. Yes networked via wifi. I have removed the printer from the pc two times now and reinstalled. A printjob will get part way before saying port is not connected and sometimes comes back on but more often than not it goes to 'offline' as far as pc thinks although it says its fine on the printer. Which means uninstalling and reinstalling. I've been trying to print for hours now please help! Many thanks!

The network connection has not failed on either machine as far a I can tell.
Member with 3,477 posts.

03-Oct-2012, 12:04 PM #5
Can you ping the printer?
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

03-Oct-2012, 12:12 PM #6
How do I ping in Windows 7? I go to run then ping and the system screen only comes up for a split second then closes so I can't see the result.
Member with 3,477 posts.

03-Oct-2012, 12:14 PM #7
Run the Command Prompt as Administrator (Right Click Run as Administrator)
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

03-Oct-2012, 12:48 PM #8
Can't ping at the moment, which is just after printing about 20 pages then it goes port not connected.
Member with 3,477 posts.

03-Oct-2012, 01:33 PM #9
Can you login to the web interface, which would be the IP Address of the printer? Sounds like there is an option that is putting the device to sleep.
Computer Specs

03-Oct-2012, 03:49 PM #10
If you can ping the printer before printing and then the ping fails when the print job fails either the PC or printer has lost network connection.
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

03-Oct-2012, 04:16 PM #11
can't access web interface, does it exist? Terrynet yes that is the case but at no point does my laptop nor my printer say it has lost network access. What do I do? Thanks
Computer Specs

03-Oct-2012, 04:58 PM #12
In the trouble condition can you ping the router from the PC? Can you ping the printer from the router or another computer?

Usually there is a web interface for a network ready printer. If there isn't, I would guess there is a powerful interface directly on the printer.
Member with 3,477 posts.

03-Oct-2012, 05:05 PM #13
If you can manually print out a configuration page from the controls on the printer, this may also help in seeing any setup issues.
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

04-Oct-2012, 07:51 AM #14
Well for some reason it started to work again, no idea why. Now that it is working I can access web interface and every time it failed to work it printed out a config page. But if I can somehow prevent this from happening again that would be good. Any ideas? It started to work again after about fourth reinstall.
Member with 3,477 posts.

04-Oct-2012, 08:19 AM #15
How is this device connected to the router? Wireless? If so, I would directly connect with a cable becasue it sounds like either one it has a bad connection or another signal is interfering.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!