Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

File Sharing wont stay on

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Oct-2012, 11:58 AM #1
File Sharing wont stay on
I've recently had an issue where when I turn on File and Printer Sharing, and click apply, I go straight back to the advanced setting menu and its switched back to off despite me changing it.

I cheked my services menu and I'm not sure what file and printer sharing has a dependancy on, but Workstation, Netlogon, and Computer Browser will not turn on with the error "windows could not start *** service on the local computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start"

I network printers and servers for a living, so this is an issue when I'm troubleshooting problems.

I cant really name everything thats been installed on this laptop, it changes pretty consistently, but no programs should have interfered with my network.

Thanks for any help
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,731 posts.

10-Oct-2012, 12:47 PM #2
What's the "***" service? If it's a three-letter word that got caught by the automatic sensor put spaces between the letters.

Have you tried to determine the dependency that failed to start? (Double click on the service to open the Properties and then look on the Dependencies tab to see upon what the service depends.)
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

11-Oct-2012, 09:42 AM #3
No, *** is what i put in place of all the various services i listed wouldn't start, it wasn't something blocked.

I figure its because the workstation wont start, or the dependancies of the other ones suggest so. The dependancies for Workstation are these:

Browser Support Driver
Network Store Interface Service
SMB 1.x MiniRedirector
SMB 2.0 MiniRedirector.

None of those are listed in my services at all.
Computer Specs

11-Oct-2012, 09:55 AM #4
I do have a Network Store Interface Service, so your missing one is at least a part of the problem.

Maybe SFC /SCANNOW will help.
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

11-Oct-2012, 02:32 PM #5
the scan did bring back the Network Store Interface Service, though it didnt bring back the other three (Browser Support Driver, SMB 1.x MiniRedirector, SMB 2.0 MiniRedirector) and workstation still willnot start with a dependency disable error all the same.

Also I started up in safe mode and i cannot go to the advanced settings in the network and sharing center (which is where you turn on and off the file sharing). If I click it, nothing happens, pretty much. If i click it too much explorer will crash.

In regular startup I can go into the menu the settings just change right back.
Computer Specs

11-Oct-2012, 03:26 PM #6
I have no other ideas.
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

12-Oct-2012, 09:58 AM #7
Its fine, thanks for your help and honesty. Reinstalling the OS will probably be the best solution, I was just trying to stall longer because I hate that process.
Computer Specs

12-Oct-2012, 10:07 AM #8
You're welcome.

I agree about the reinstall. Try for a simpler fix, but don't spend weeks on it.

Incidentally, I eventually got tired of "starting from scratch" so I now make a backup image of my systems to an external hard drive monthly. Theoretically, if necessary I can re-image to one, two or three months ago.
Computer Specs
Member with 5 posts.

12-Oct-2012, 10:19 AM #9
I keep all my important stuff on an external. I used to wipe my computer every week and reinstall because I just like everything to be like new and organized and such. It wont take me more than a few hours I'm sure, I'm just the kind of person thats like "I have no computer.....now what do i do"
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
file sharing, smb

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!