Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: WiFi connection/ipconfig/ip change/etc

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Beginner
30-Oct-2012, 10:42 AM #1
Solved: WiFi connection/ipconfig/ip change/etc
Sorry about the title... I struggled with that a while. My problem was one thing, but now I think it's two. I will explain here.

I was trying to connect via wifi to my cousin's network which has both ethernet and wifi, but everyone could connect except for me. It just would not connect no matter what. I have had no other problems at a friend's house or McDonald's, etc with their wifi connections, only this one. So, I thought maybe that LogMeIn Hamachi was creating the problem because that is the one thing that was different on my laptop from the others involved. Some time ago, someone helped me change my laptop's network or IP so that it would recognize my Hamachi IP as my laptop's main IP so that people could connect to my Minecraft Servers without any port forwarding. However, I cannot remember who helped me or how we did it. I have memory issues due to a stroke some while back, so I really can't help this lack of memory. Thus, I have decided to apply for help here.
If anyone can help me to undo this change, I would be most appreciative.

Now, to compound my problem, I did the thing that was most logical to me and a friend... I uninstalled Hamachi and removed all the registry keys for it thinking that would fix the problem. I believe it made it worse though, because while the Hamachi "Network 2" did in fact disappear, the laptop still will not connect to the network.

I have searched for help on many forums and have tried many solutions, none of which have worked. I will however, give what information I can here based on what I have found while searching.
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the network adapters (everything in the Network Adapters section of the Device Manager)

I tried ipconfig /release and it said:
No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection 2 while it has its media disconnected.
It says the same thing for Local Area Connection and Wireless Network Connection. Then it says:
An error occurred while releasing interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1 : The system cannot find the file specified.
I don't even know why it is still showing 2 as that was the Hamachi one and it disappeared in my Network settings when I removed Hamachi.

Then I did ipconfig /all and got the following: (Please forgive the lack of formatting as I'm typing it all out not pasting)
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name ....... : Becca-Laptop
Primary DNS Suffix ..... :
Node Type ........... : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled ...... : No
WINS Proxy Enabled ..... : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:
Media State .......... : Media Disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix........ :
Description ............. : Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
Physical Address ........ : AC-81-12-3F-32-39
DHCP Enabled ................. : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled ........ : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Description ............. : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Physical Address ........ : 78-E3-B5-47-B5-E6

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Description ............. : Broadcom 4313 802.11b/g/n

Tunnel adapter isatap.{ABAF93FD-33DA-465E-BB2D-ED4C9C4AB660}:
Description ............. : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
Physical Address ........ : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled ................. : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:
Description ............. : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Tunnel adapter isatap.{6294F14C-A0A6-4348-AA23-181AA32E5DD1}:
Description ............. : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #4

I'm guessing those Tunnel adapters are my problem, caused by whatever I did when I changed stuff for Hamachi, because those are not found in my Device Manager.
Again, any help at all would be fantastic. Thank you so much and please let me know if there is anything I forgot to put in here to help.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,887 posts.

30-Oct-2012, 11:26 AM #2
Can you connect by ethernet?

Make sure you have the latest wirless driver from the laptop manufacturer's web site.

What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the machine?

What encryption is being used? Can you detect the network? If so, what exactly happens when you try to connect?
Computer Specs
Member with 7 posts.

30-Oct-2012, 11:45 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
Can you connect by ethernet?

Make sure you have the latest wirless driver from the laptop manufacturer's web site.

What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the machine?

What encryption is being used? Can you detect the network? If so, what exactly happens when you try to connect?
I can't really try the ethernet right now because my cousin isn't down here and I don't want to mess with his wires. I can try that later,if necessary.

I always keep my drivers updated, so they should be fine unless any new ones recently came out.

I only have the standard Windows Firewall and have already checked it. I don't think it's blocking anything, but if I should look for something specific, please let me know.

The encryption is TKIP and the security is WPA2-Personal.

Thank you for your response!
Computer Specs

30-Oct-2012, 11:54 AM #4
Reinstall the wireless driver (in case the installed instance is corrupted).

Try w/o encryption. (I understand you may need to wait for your cousin.)

The main purpose of the ethernet connection is to determine if this is only a wireless problem or something else.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.
Computer Specs
Member with 7 posts.

30-Oct-2012, 12:22 PM #5
Quote:
Reinstall the wireless driver (in case the installed instance is corrupted).

Try w/o encryption. (I understand you may need to wait for your cousin.)

The main purpose of the ethernet connection is to determine if this is only a wireless problem or something else.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.
I did the bottom 3 first as they were in my immediate control as I already had the command window open as admin. This managed to delete the two isatap adapters, furthering my notion that it is whatever I did to my ip is being the problem. The remaining tunnel adapter is the Local Area Connection* 11 which I'm sure also needs to be gone... The question is how?

Reinstalling the drivers now....though I have done this twice before already.

Okay, I have done that again as well. Still no change there.
Computer Specs
Member with 7 posts.

30-Oct-2012, 01:12 PM #6
I don't know how important this is, but I feel better updating and it being nothing rather than not updating and missing something important, so here goes.

After I did those netsh things, I did ipconfig /all again and noticed some changes. I can't copy/paste between computers and don't want to type all that out again, so I'll copy/paste from the top post and make the necessary changes there.
ipconfig /all now looks like this:

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name ....... : Becca-Laptop
Primary DNS Suffix ..... :
Node Type ........... : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled ...... : No
WINS Proxy Enabled ..... : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Description ............. : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Physical Address ........ : 78-E3-B5-47-B5-E6

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:
(Note the 2 changed to a 3)
Description ............. : Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter #2
(Added a #2)

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Description ............. : Broadcom 4313 802.11b/g/n

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:
Description ............. : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Computer Specs

30-Oct-2012, 02:32 PM #7
No significant change there. Windows loves to add a useless number to connection "descriptions." I think that the only value is to confuse us.

The Tunnel adapter (Teredo) is causing no problem, but ...

If you'd like to get rid of some of the stuff that shows up under the IPCONFIG, you can uninstall some or all of IPv6.

How to disable IPv6 in Windows Vista/Windows 7

IPv6 is enabled by default. It can be disabled by uninstalling the IPv6, or different IPv6 features may be enabled or disabled individually by setting the following registry value (probably have to add the parameter):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tcpip6\Parameters\Disa bledComponents

The value can be the combination (logical or) of the following values:
1 Disable tunnel interfaces
2 Disable 6to4
4 Disable ISATAP
8 Disable Teredo
16 Disable LAN and PPP interfaces
32 Set preference of IPv4 over IPv6
255 Disable IPv6 completely
If you are using another computer to post here you can use removable media (USB flash drive, CD, etc.) to copy data from one to the other.
Computer Specs
Member with 7 posts.

30-Oct-2012, 08:39 PM #8
Quote:
No significant change there. Windows loves to add a useless number to connection "descriptions." I think that the only value is to confuse us.

The Tunnel adapter (Teredo) is causing no problem, but ...

If you'd like to get rid of some of the stuff that shows up under the IPCONFIG, you can uninstall some or all of IPv6.

How to disable IPv6 in Windows Vista/Windows 7

IPv6 is enabled by default. It can be disabled by uninstalling the IPv6, or different IPv6 features may be enabled or disabled individually by setting the following registry value (probably have to add the parameter):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tcpip6\Parameters\Disa bledComponents

The value can be the combination (logical or) of the following values:
1 Disable tunnel interfaces
2 Disable 6to4
4 Disable ISATAP
8 Disable Teredo
16 Disable LAN and PPP interfaces
32 Set preference of IPv4 over IPv6
255 Disable IPv6 completely
If you are using another computer to post here you can use removable media (USB flash drive, CD, etc.) to copy data from one to the other.
I went all the way to the Parameters, but I don't know how to add DisabledComponents to the folders there. It gives me a lot of options when I right click and hover over New >
Key
String Value, Binary Value, DWORD (32-bit) Value, QWORD (64-bit) Value, Multi-String Value, and Expandable String Value

I put Key separately because there's a little line between that and the others.
Further instruction would be great. I will do this step as well, though I don't believe it'll fix my actual problem above. I do appreciate all the help though!

P.S. I also managed to connect via Ethernet cord and that worked fine. So, apparently the problem is in my wifi adapter area, though reinstalling them did not help. I don't know why it's only this network having issues!
Computer Specs

31-Oct-2012, 08:29 AM #9
Quote:
I don't know why it's only this network having issues!
Possibilities include:

a. Wrong driver--which is why I asked you to make sure you have the latest from the laptop manufacturer's web site;
b. Adapter is not working exactly correctly with WPA2;
c. Adapter and router are not playing nice together with WPA2;
d. Adapter and router are not playing nice together even with WPA or no security;
e. Adapter is defective.

DisabledComponents is a DWORD (see attached). I'll fix my canned post; thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: WiFi connection/ipconfig/ip change/etc-capture.jpg  
Computer Specs
Member with 7 posts.

01-Nov-2012, 08:59 AM #10
Quote:
Possibilities include:

a. Wrong driver--which is why I asked you to make sure you have the latest from the laptop manufacturer's web site;
b. Adapter is not working exactly correctly with WPA2;
c. Adapter and router are not playing nice together with WPA2;
d. Adapter and router are not playing nice together even with WPA or no security;
e. Adapter is defective.

DisabledComponents is a DWORD (see attached). I'll fix my canned post; thanks.
Thank you for hanging in there with me. I appreciate it more than I can say.

Well, I hesitate to think it would be a problem with the adapter and WPA in general, because the laptop has no problem whatsoever with any other networks I've been on, both private home networks and public ones. This is the very first time I've come against this problem.

I did the DWORD reg key thing and rebooted my laptop. That got rid of the other thing, like you said it would. I still had no luck connecting though.
I did ipconfig /all again and got one small change to the ethernet adapter which is at
Connection-specific DNS Suffix .......... : PK5001Z

However, all the adapters still say Media disconnected. Perhaps I will have to actually take it to a computer repair shop to undo whatever I did so long ago.
Computer Specs

01-Nov-2012, 11:27 AM #11
Quote:
Well, I hesitate to think it would be a problem with the adapter and WPA in general, because the laptop has no problem whatsoever with any other networks I've been on, both private home networks and public ones. This is the very first time I've come against this problem.
What about WPA2, which is what you said this network is using?

Shouldn't "has no problem whatsoever" be "had no problem whatsoever"? My point is that while the odds are that you will still have no problem with other networks you do not know that positively until you've again tried another network.

There have been other cases where a particular adapter and particular router have not played nice together with WPA2 but have been fine with WPA.
Computer Specs
Member with 7 posts.

02-Nov-2012, 08:52 AM #12
Quote:
What about WPA2, which is what you said this network is using?

Shouldn't "has no problem whatsoever" be "had no problem whatsoever"? My point is that while the odds are that you will still have no problem with other networks you do not know that positively until you've again tried another network.

There have been other cases where a particular adapter and particular router have not played nice together with WPA2 but have been fine with WPA.
First, I want to say thank you for trying so diligently to help me.

I did take the laptop out yesterday and test it elsewhere and it was still fine. Then I spoke to a tech guy at Office Depot who said we have done everything he would have suggested as well. He then told me I should have my cousin talk to his isp about the issue because even though my laptop was the only one not working in the house, it could still be a modem/router issue. So, I came back and did that, and guess what? They had him fiddle with some settings and reset the network via a website of theirs and the issue was fixed.

So, thank you for everything you have helped me with as I'm sure it was not all for nothing and thank you for your patience, which I very much appreciate.

This problem is now solved and I hope others in the future don't have so much bad luck as I did with figuring it out!
Computer Specs

02-Nov-2012, 01:59 PM #13
You're welcome.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
ip change, ipconfig, network adapters, wifi

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!