Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Wireless networking laptop-hotspot problem please help!

(!)

Member with 4 posts.

09-Nov-2012, 10:16 PM #1
Wireless networking laptop-hotspot problem please help!
I've looked around on this forum a bit and can't really find a direct answer to my problem, plus I'm extremely frustrated. I've tried everything to my knowledge (which is limited) for the last two days. I registered with the sprint forums and they are terrible. I couldn't find my answer on the HP forums either. I recently bought a mobile hotspot for my new start-up business (rather than paying for multiple internet locations) but I can't connect with my laptop--I'm really trying to avoid buying a newer laptop because my funds are limited right now.

My iphone and PS3 can connect to the hotspot and run fine without any problems. The laptop can connect to my hotspot BUT the internet wont connect, it just says 'unidentifiable network'.

My hotspot is: Sierra Wireless 4G LTE Tri-Fi Hotspot (it's also 3G compatible)

My laptop is: HP compaq presario A900, the service number is A945US (apparently this is also the product name also?). The laptop runs windows Vista and this laptop is approx 5 years old (but it runs absolutely great still and it's all I need--it hasn't been used much the first 3 years).

I was hoping the problem would be as simple as updating the drivers--maybe it is but it's not working for me and it says the driver is up to date (as the picture states)

Also, at the network screen with the red X (as the picture shows) it says unidentifiable network--this isn't always the case sometimes there is the yellow exclamation point.

I'm including 5 pictures to help explain the problem.

I have 7 days to cancel this contract for mobile hotspot--or buy a new laptop which I really can't afford to do. I open my business the first of December. If you resolve this problem you are literally my hero my eyes are about to fall out from frustration. Please help!!!! Thank you!!
Attached Thumbnails
Wireless networking laptop-hotspot problem please help!-adapter-error.jpg   Wireless networking laptop-hotspot problem please help!-driver-updated.jpg   Wireless networking laptop-hotspot problem please help!-adapter-problem.jpg   Wireless networking laptop-hotspot problem please help!-network-problem.jpg   Wireless networking laptop-hotspot problem please help!-click-x.jpg  

Last edited by Mattdchirodc; 09-Nov-2012 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: making things more clear
Member with 4 posts.

10-Nov-2012, 01:49 AM #2
fixed!
Alright guys after hours of my eyes bleeding from frustration lol I connected the laptop to the internet. The hotspot security settings were set as WPA/WPA2 Personal...I set the hotspot settings to none and changed the computer configuration to WEP without a password. Every device I have is connecting to the hotspot now.

Now hopefully this next question and someone can help me out. I don't need a password when I'm at my house because I'm in the country, no one can get within the signal; however, when I take it to my business I will need security on it. So...

Is there anyway I can configure the hotspot with a security code that is compatible with my computer??

The attached picture is the security settings available on the hotspot. Thanks guys!!
Attached Thumbnails
Wireless networking laptop-hotspot problem please help!-photo-1-.png  
Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,992 posts.

10-Nov-2012, 10:41 AM #3
With those choices use WPA-Personal TKIP/AES.

Make sure the laptop's wireless driver is the latest. If an integrated adapter get the driver from the laptop manufacturer's web site. If an external adapter get the driver from the adapter manufacturer's web site.
Member with 4 posts.

21-Nov-2012, 10:33 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet View Post
With those choices use WPA-Personal TKIP/AES.

Make sure the laptop's wireless driver is the latest. If an integrated adapter get the driver from the laptop manufacturer's web site. If an external adapter get the driver from the adapter manufacturer's web site.
Hey Terry I appreciate the quick response, I have been trying to figure this problem out myself the past few days when I have the time. I have been using no security at home the first week because the hotspot never left my house. It's impossible for anyone to connect because I live so far out in the country, no one can get close to my house even with a cell phone appox a mile away. So, I haven't been concerned with home security and I monitor connected devices.

However, when I take this hotspot to my new business, I will absolutely need security. I've been unsuccessful even with your advice : (. My drivers are the most recently updated.

My laptop connects fine to the hotspot when I have no security. It also connects to the hotspot with security BUT, it won't connect to the internet and is unable to identify the device.

I was considering that the computer was too outdated for the hotspot until I was able to use the internet without security settings. Can you think of anything else I could be doing wrong???

I'm attaching pictures to help:

pic1: Sprint hotspot security settings (I did not list my passwords in this picture)
pic2: My laptop's possible security settings
pic3: Encryption options for WPA-personal
pic4: Encryption options for WPA2-personal

I truly appreciate any help...this is so frustrating. thank you!!

My iphone and ps3 connects to the hotspot just fine regardless of the security settings.
I will attach pictures to help
Attached Thumbnails
Wireless networking laptop-hotspot problem please help!-1.png   Wireless networking laptop-hotspot problem please help!-2.jpg   Wireless networking laptop-hotspot problem please help!-3.jpg   Wireless networking laptop-hotspot problem please help!-4.jpg  
Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,992 posts.

22-Nov-2012, 09:15 AM #5
Nuts. (That's directed at me!) I stupidly responded to your second post without paying attention to the attachments in your first one. Sorry. Here's what I should have posted ...

The following was put together mostly by etaf with a little help from me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Atheros Wireless Adapter - AR5007EG & AR5007
Over the last couple of years we have been seeing a lot of problems with the above adapters, mainly concerning WPA and WPA2 encryption and mainly on windows Vista.
We have seen just a couple of issues on other windows operating system, windows XP and windows 7.

Windows XP:- A driver update has resolved the issue
Windows 7 :- No conclusive results for a fix

The wireless adapter gets an IP configuration, and shows as connected, but communication is non-existent or sporadic.

Log into the Router and disable the wireless security and see if you are now able to connect to the internet and surf OK.
Please post back a reply here, and let us know if that works or does not work.
If you post back the make and exact model of the router - we can advise how to disable the wireless security

Here are a number of possible solutions

--- 1) In Device Manager right click on the wireless adapter and "update driver."

--- 2) Download and install the latest wireless driver from your laptop manufacturer's web site support section,

If you post a reply here with the Make and EXACT model of your PC, along with the windows version you are running. we will see if we can find a link to the driver and will post a reply with the link here.

--- 3) On one occasion re-setting the router back to factory default and re-configuring the router settings has resolved the issue

--- 4) The majority of members, have now used the drivers from the atheros driver site, which has resolved the issue.
- see below for direct links for windows vista and the link for all Atheros adapters and supported operating systems

AR5007
Vista 32 / 64 Bit
Direct link Drivers for Atheros AR5007 and Windows Vista 32 / 64 bit
You only need to click on the green download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started

AR5007EG
Vista 32 / 64 Bit
Direct link Drivers for Atheros AR5007EG and Windows Vista 32 / 64 bit
You only need to click on the green download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started

Drivers for the other windows operating system
http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-drivers.php
You need to look down the page for your particular adapter model and then look across the columns to find your windows version.
Now click on the blue tick mark in the column under your windows version.
This will open another page for that particular adapter and that windows version.

Now click on the download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started

Assuming that after all the above the wireless still does not connect to the internet, all I can suggest is to use wireless security of WEP or to get an external USB wireless card.

Please post a reply here , and keep us informed of the situation and how you finally resolved the issue.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member with 4 posts.

22-Nov-2012, 01:25 PM #6
Thanks for the info Terry, I'll give it a try tonight or this weekend and keep you posted. Happy thanksgiving!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!