Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Wifi/Hard Wired computer issues

(!)

Thee Ox Thee Ox is offline Thee Ox has a Profile Picture
Member with 44 posts.

Experience: Depends on What Day it Is
13-Nov-2012, 03:47 PM #1
Wifi/Hard Wired computer issues
Hello all,
I have an HP hardwired pc and a Dell wifi lappy.

My question: How can I connect the 2 computers so they can see each other, share files, etc.

Thanks in advance!
The ox
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,231 posts.

13-Nov-2012, 04:04 PM #2
If you have a wireless router you can connect both computers to the router, and that is the easiest and most convenient way.
Member with 44 posts.

13-Nov-2012, 05:56 PM #3
If you have a wireless router you can connect both computers to the router, and that is the easiest and most convenient way.

ok, I have my Dell lappy on the wifi ( i have a wireless router) and plug in the PC to the router, thats all I have to do? Will I have to run any Network Wizards or anything?

Thanks a lot Terry!!
Computer Specs

13-Nov-2012, 06:12 PM #4
That's all you have to do to connect them (get them on the same network).

For guidance on how to share files either advise us what operating systems are on the two computers (I'm assuming that a Dell "lappy" is some type of computer) or take a look at PCWorld's Set Up Your Home Network, Windows 7 Edition.
Member with 44 posts.

13-Nov-2012, 06:21 PM #5
The Dell lappy, or lap top is Win XP, the hard wired is Win 7. I shall be getting a newer Dell lap top with Win 7 hopefully this week.
Computer Specs

13-Nov-2012, 07:22 PM #6
A wizard way to enable file and printer sharing on XP:

Run the Network Setup wizard (found in Control Panel of XP). Tell it each of your computers connects to the internet via "residential gateway" and that you want to enable file and printer sharing. Create a disk at the end only if you have a PC with Windows ME or Windows older than ME.

Windows XP firewall (if SP2 or SP3) will be properly configured by the wizard (but make sure it is not set to “No Exceptions”). You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine. Unique computer names and same workgroup, of course.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders (or drives) or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... . When sharing a printer, accept the offer to load other drivers if your other PCs have different Operating System(s).

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (up to 15 minutes) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.

Short description for Windows 7 file and printer sharing:

Go into the Network and Sharing Center from the Control Panel or from the Network icon in the Notification Area. Your network must be designated 'Home' (or 'Work'). Click on Change advanced sharing settings. In the Home or Work section you can configure File and printer sharing, Public folder sharing, and Password protected sharing.

You may want to change the Workgroup name. To check it or change it right click on "Computer" and select "Properties."

You must uninstall or properly configure any non-windows firewall (security suite).
Member with 44 posts.

13-Nov-2012, 10:52 PM #7
WOW!!

Thanks a lot Terry! With all that info, I should be able to do this!!
Wish me luck...
Computer Specs

14-Nov-2012, 01:32 PM #8
Of course I wish you luck; you don't think I want you coming back with more questions do you? Just kidding, of course.

You're welcome.
Member with 44 posts.

14-Nov-2012, 03:34 PM #9
Member with 44 posts.

14-Nov-2012, 03:35 PM #10
Oh...I'll be back!! LOL
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!