Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

New Toshiba laptop won't connect to home internet

(!)

Member with 7 posts.

03-Dec-2012, 05:03 PM #1
New Toshiba laptop won't connect to home internet
Hi, I just got a new Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5357. It's running Windows 8. I can't get it to connect to my home wifi--it just says "Can't connect to this network" and nothing else. I did unplug and plug back in the router (does that count as resetting?) and it didn't change anything. I just went to the library and it connected to that wifi without a problem. While there I uninstalled all Norton security products and installed AVG Free 2013. Still not working. Can anyone help me? I'm not hugely knowledgeable about computers but I should be able to follow directions.

I followed the advice of some other threads and did the ipconfig/all thing, and here it is. Hopefully it helps:

Windows IP Configuration

Host name: Emily
Pimary Dns Suffix:
Node Type: Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled: No
WINS Proxy Enabled: No

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Media State: Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
Description: Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Physical address: 24-EC-99-AC-CE-AE
DHCP Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Description: Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PC I-E NIC
Physical address: 24-EC-99-AC-CE-AE

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Description: Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Physical address: 00-26-6C-1E-2E-9D

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description: Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter
Physical address: 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled: No

C:\Users\Me>

Let me know if you need any more info to help! Thanks in advance.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,604 posts.

03-Dec-2012, 05:21 PM #2
can you log into your router and remove the wireless security - now see if the laptop will connect- if it does , put the security back on

did you use the norton removal tool
--------------------------------------------------------------

Norton Removal Tool
I would recommend that you restart the PC and run the removal tool for a second time - I have found instances where the removal tool needs to be run twice to fully remove all traces of norton and symantec from the PC
https://www-secure.symantec.com/nort...ersion=current

All Versions - The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2010/2009/2008/2007/2006/2005/2004/2003 products, Norton 360 and Norton SystemWorks 12.0 from your computer.
http://majorgeeks.com/Norton_Removal...NRT_d4749.html

--------------------------------------------------------------
Member with 7 posts.

03-Dec-2012, 05:52 PM #3
How would I go about doing that? I tried typing the ip address into Internet Explorer on the laptop I'm currently using, and got "Internet Explorer cannot display this webpage." Do I connect my new laptop to the router with an ethernet cord? I have access to the router but not to the main computer for the network (I'm living in an apartment connected to someone else's house, and I'm allowed in their house but I don't have their computer password. I want to be sure not to mess up their internet, though).

To remove Norton I just went to uninstall/change a program and individually removed each Norton program. It did use Norton to remove itself, but I didn't use one single removal tool.
Member with 7 posts.

03-Dec-2012, 05:53 PM #4
Also, the router is a SonicWall TZ200 wireless-N, if that helps
Computer Specs

03-Dec-2012, 06:11 PM #5
Quote:
To remove Norton I just went to uninstall/change a program and individually removed each Norton program. It did use Norton to remove itself, but I didn't use one single removal tool.
i suggest using the removal tool

have a read here
http://www.sonicwall.com/downloads/S...rted_Guide.pdf
and here
http://www.sonicwall.com/downloads/S...tors_Guide.pdf

any PC connected to the router should be able to log into the router - Recommended to be connected by a LAN otherwise any changes will lose the connection between the PC and router using wireless
Member with 7 posts.

03-Dec-2012, 06:56 PM #6
Ok, I connected with my new laptop through the LAN and I got to the router login screen, but I wasn't able to login. Tried the defult of "admin"/"password" and the WiFi login/passwork, and neither worked. I can try to ask the homeowners for the info but I'm not sure they'll know it. Are there any other methods to try?

While connected I did run the Norton removal tool (twice).

Thanks!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,292 posts.

03-Dec-2012, 07:48 PM #7
Quote:
Are there any other methods to try?
That first time you tried to connect were you asked for the encryption key? If so, you may have typed it incorrectly, and another, but less effective, thing to try is to delete the wireless profile and try again. Of course, Windows 8 has a non-obvious way to do this. From (my poor) memory, I think that you click on the Network icon in the Notification Area and then click or right click on the network name and delete or discard or something like that. Then you try again to connect being ultra careful with your typing.

To help us see what you are up against ...

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.
Member with 7 posts.

03-Dec-2012, 08:35 PM #8
I'm almost positive that I didn't enter any encryption key; the only thing I entered was the wireless password. I tried to follow your instructions to delete the profile but when I'm in what I think is the correct place I can't right click on the network and there doesn't seem to be any option to delete it. I'll keep trying, but in the meantime here are the screenshots you requested. I wasn't sure if I should be connected to the internet or not/if that would make any difference, so I took the first one connected (through the ethernet cord/LAN) and the second one not connected.

Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
New Toshiba laptop won't connect to home internet-screenshot-2-.jpg   New Toshiba laptop won't connect to home internet-screenshot-3-.jpg  
Computer Specs

04-Dec-2012, 05:00 AM #9
------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to remove Wireless Profiles - for Windows 8

taken from here http://www.7tutorials.com/how-manage...iles-windows-8
How to Manage Wireless Network Connections & Profiles in Windows 8

You no longer have to navigate to the Network and Sharing Center, you just have to get to the network list.
To access the list you can click or tap the Wireless Networking icon in the system tray of your Desktop.
You can also move your cursor to the bottom right corner of the screen to activate the Charms. Click or tap “Settings" and then the Network icon.
Locate the network’s name (Security Set Identifier - SSID) from the list of available networks and right-click or press and hold on it.
Click or tap “View Connection Properties."
Locate the network name on the list and right-click or press and hold on it. Click or tap “Forget this network" to delete the profile from your computer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs

04-Dec-2012, 08:08 AM #10
I'm on Windows 8 now and the right click only works for the network to which I'm connected. Maybe would also work for a network previously connected to, but I have none of those on this machine. So, the inability to right click probably means no profile was created.
Member with 7 posts.

04-Dec-2012, 03:54 PM #11
Thank you both for your help. etaf, I followed your directions exactly but I still was unable to get any effect from right clicking or pressing/holding on the network. The only option (and it's from left clicking) is to connect to the network. I think TerryNet may be correct that no profile has been created, since I've never been able to connect to the wifi (I'm connected to the internet now through the ethernet cord to the router, but the network name is different).

TerryNet, did the screenshots tell you anything helpful about what might be my problem?
Member with 7 posts.

04-Dec-2012, 04:11 PM #12
Also, I just went to the Network and Sharing Center and pressed "change adapter settings" which took me to Control Panel>Network and Internet>Network Connections. There was no option to forget a network, but I did "disable this network device" for the wifi and then enable it again. Still no luck.
Computer Specs

04-Dec-2012, 04:39 PM #13
Screen shots didn't help, except to show that we are not dealing with wireless interference from another network.

One thing you can try on your own is to make sure you have the latest wireless driver from the laptop manufacturer's web site.

Otherwise I don't know how to proceed on this except for the first thing Wayne suggested--try with the router's encryption disabled. If that doesn't work then maybe the router owner is also using MAC Address filtering (access control) to lock you out.

Obviously you will need the owner's cooperation to login to the router or to give you permission and the password.

By the way, when I say "encryption key" and you say "wireless password" we are both likely talking about the "passphrase" used with the WPA-PSK security. Isn't it lovely to have so many phrases for the same thing?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!