Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

I can't connect to my Netgear router with my computers wifi?

(!)

Member with 3 posts.

05-Dec-2012, 10:47 PM #1
I can't connect to my Netgear router with my computers wifi?
I recently switched internet service providers from AT&T to Time Warner and ever since I have been unable to connect to my Netgear router with my computer's wifi. However, I have successfully connected my TV wirelessly to said router. One other note, my computer's wifi seems to recognize that the netgear router is there but it just refuses to connect me to the internet. Please help me rectify the issue, much appreciated!
TheShooter93   (Cody) TheShooter93 is online now TheShooter93 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 9,364 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Dec-2012, 12:34 AM #2
Hello cairo237,

Your initial post is a little confusing for me, since I think you're getting some terminology mixed up.

Let's see if we can clear things up.

---------------------------------------------------------------

You recently switched ISP's, and now you want to set up your home network.

You have a modem from your new ISP and a wireless router.

The wireless router should be connected to the modem via Ethernet cable, and then your computers should connect to the wireless router via the wireless signal given off by the wireless router.

Where in this is your problem? Please try to be as specific as possible.
Member with 16 posts.

06-Dec-2012, 10:59 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShooter93 View Post

Where in this is your problem? Please try to be as specific as possible.
the problem is in the title

"I can't connect to my Netgear router with my computers wifi?"

ensure you haven't typed the wrong password in for the router.

Pass usually located on bottom of the router, if it's all caps, put it all caps etc.

connect with Ethernet cable, and try opening 192.168.1.1 in your browser and check the wifi settings.

failing all that, just reset your router (small button at the back, you'll need a needle/toothpick to do it)
TheShooter93   (Cody) TheShooter93 is online now TheShooter93 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 9,364 posts.

06-Dec-2012, 12:49 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgey View Post
the problem is in the title

"I can't connect to my Netgear router with my computers wifi?"
Computers don't have Wifi - they have network adapters to pick up wireless signals given off by wireless routers.

Based on the wording, this could be a situation where the TS is trying to bridge a wireless access point to another wireless router to increase signal strength throughout their home.

I'm just trying to clear up with the TS what exactly the issue is so it can be resolved.
Member with 3 posts.

07-Dec-2012, 01:16 AM #5
Hey there TheShooter93, thanks for getting back to me so soon. I apologize for the terminology mix up, my mistake if it was misleading. My router is indeed connected to the modem via ethernet, but my computer cant seem to connect to the router wirelessly. My computer shows the router is there on its list of wireless networks but when i attempt to connect to it i get the message "connected with limited access" and I'm unable to use a web browser to do any internet browsing.
Computer Specs
Member with 9,364 posts.

07-Dec-2012, 01:45 AM #6
Hello cairo237,

Sorry for this long-winded reply, but I will be busy tomorrow and don't know if I will be on TSG very much.

On the back of the wireless router, there should be a very small RESET button.

You'll likely have to use some sort of tool to press it properly, but once you've done so, hold it there for 40 seconds then release.

This should set your wireless signal back to default.

Note: This means you will have to reconnect all devices that use the wireless signal.

------------------------------------------------------------

Next, you'll want to Remove Wireless Profiles on your computer.

After you've done this, restart the computer and try connecting to your wireless network.

Assuming you've connected successfully, launch your web browser.

In the URL box, type 192.168.1.1 and press enter.

A prompt should appear asking for a username and password. Try the following combinations:

admin Password
comcast 1234
admin admin
(none) (none)

After this, you should be able to go into your wireless security settings.

You'll likely want to change the name and add a passkey for protection.
Member with 3 posts.

07-Dec-2012, 02:56 AM #7
Hey shooter,
After doing a bit of tinkering with a website called "routerlogin.net", which my netgear tech showed me, I was finally able to connect wirelessly to my router, but I am concerned because i had to change some security settings and now my network connection is "unsecured". To be specific I have changed my wireless security settings from WPA2-PSK[AES] to none on this routerlogin.net site, as well as change my security type from WPA2-personal to none and encryption type from AES to none on my network wireless properties. Is there any way i can stay connected to my router and get a secure connection? Thanks!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,383 posts.

07-Dec-2012, 08:32 AM #8
If you adapter supports WPA2 you should be able to re-enable that and reconnect. Else try WPA-PSK TKIP encryption.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!