Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

What does Password needs to be 40bits or 104bits mean?

(!)

Member with 1 posts.

08-Dec-2012, 05:41 PM #1
What does Password needs to be 40bits or 104bits mean?
I've been looking all over and trying different ways to get this computer to connect.

I have a wireless setup with a linksys router hooked up. I mainly connect with my laptop but now I'm trying to test out a Dell Inspirion 3000 Windows XP.

The Dell picks up the signal of my connection that is secure when I have the proxim router connected. When I go to put in my password I get this message : "The network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters."

Otherwise if I direction plug in the Ethernet cord it 'connects' but I can't do anything.

I'm pretty sure the network key it's asking for is the password I made up for the connection right? Otherwise I have no idea what it would be.
I'm set up as a WPA Personal in security mode when I got into my linksys account.

Any ideas?

Last edited by purplebaa; 08-Dec-2012 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: Including more information.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 67,271 posts.

08-Dec-2012, 07:25 PM #2
Either you don't have the latest driver for the wireless adapter or else it does not support WPA. If it's an integrated adapter get the latest driver from Dell's web site.

EDIT: Do you have service pack 3?
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 4,095 posts.

09-Dec-2012, 12:46 AM #3
I don't know what is going on with your setup, but your description of the passphrase as being 40 or 104 bits means you're setting up WEP and not WPA. The 40 and 104 bit reference is what everyone recognizes as 64 or 128 bit WEP. The 24 bits that are omitted refers to the IV (initialization vector) which is at the heart of why WEP is not an appropriate means of encrypting wireless and also why it's so easy to defeat. You need to double check how you're going about configuring WPA on your laptop. If you can't find the option to set up WPA, then what Terry states about lack of wireless adapter support or driver issue is what is causing the problems.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!