Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Daisy chain 3 wifi routers

(!)

Member with 2 posts.

16-Jan-2013, 02:32 PM #1
Daisy chain 3 wifi routers
Ok here it is, i have got 3 wifi routers i want to daisy chain. Router 1 is main modem router, which is connected to 2 pcs and 2 wif routers (wired separately), both of these wifi routers have there own ip address and dchp turned off, so they work fine and broadcast wifi nicely. now what i want to do is connect another wifi router to one of these routers (not the main one) but what setting do i need? i tried to connect the 3rd wifi router with the same setting as per the other two ie diff ip and dchp off, but when i plugged it into the port of the second router it would not show as connected or get an internet connection. Its probably quite simple to sort out, but with me being a dimwit i am tering my air out. If i could not use a wifi router for this 3rd connection, is there any other way of putting an extra 4 ports on to my second stage router. Any help would be appreciated
Computer Specs
Moderator with 53,063 posts.

16-Jan-2013, 02:34 PM #2
Quote:
but when i plugged it into the port of the second router
what port ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together
From a John Will Post

http://library.techguy.org/wiki/Conn...uters_together

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member with 2 posts.

16-Jan-2013, 03:25 PM #3
Ok, got that ,but how do I connect another (third ) router to the secondary router as the secondary doesn't have dchp enabled ? Secondary routers are connected lan not wan

Last edited by slaine29; 16-Jan-2013 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: extra info
Computer Specs
Moderator with 53,063 posts.

16-Jan-2013, 03:48 PM #4
3rd should connect to the LAN and not have DHCP and have an IP address of the 1st router range

what is the range of DHCP on the 1st router
what have you set the 2nd router IPs to ?
Member with 40 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Jan-2013, 07:24 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaine29 View Post
Ok, got that ,but how do I connect another (third ) router to the secondary router as the secondary doesn't have dchp enabled ? Secondary routers are connected lan not wan
Enable 'dhcp relay' on the 2nd router and have it point to your dhcp server
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!