Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: unwanted PC & devices showing in my laptop network

(!)

JoeLo   (Joe) JoeLo is offline JoeLo has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 276 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Feb-2013, 06:43 PM #1
Question Solved: unwanted PC & devices showing in my laptop network
Hi folks;

Please help me to remove these items from my laptop. A particular & ungreatful person abused my laptop to the point where I had to install a password. Now he has his own (thank goodness). I had to perform all kinda of removal actions but I just noticed in my network domain that his name followed by "PC" & under "media devices" & "network infrastructure" contains his name again w/ PC & devices called [TV]UNE40ES6100.

I am using the program's wireless service which I am allowed-to. I just want to remove this person from my laptop. It won't delete when r. clicking. I have win 7 and use this laptop mainly for my online school & email. I know, I should've never lent it to him in the 1st place cause I took a big risk of having it damaged or infected with his relentless music & video downloads.

Thanks for any assistance or advice you can provide.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,950 posts.

18-Feb-2013, 04:08 AM #2
Quote:
but I just noticed in my network domain that his name followed by "PC" & under "media devices" & "network infrastructure" contains his name again w/ PC & devices called [TV]UNE40ES6100.
its probably because his on the same network and sharing - so you will see all PCs that are on the network and sharing services

is this possibly the case ?
Computer Specs
Member with 276 posts.

18-Feb-2013, 06:58 AM #3
Yes, it's a shared network just wondering why this items have to show multiple times like in "other devices" showing [TV]UN40ES6100. Can I @ least hide these or hide mine ? I wann'a use caution when it comes to my unit, it's the only one I use for online lectures (long distance learning) and have 10 months to-go.

~ Thanks'
Computer Specs

18-Feb-2013, 07:09 AM #4
this is how mine looks - is that what you are referring to ?
and you can see the router , which also has a shared drive attached and a media server
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: unwanted PC & devices showing in my laptop network-mynetwork.jpg  
Computer Specs
Member with 276 posts.

18-Feb-2013, 06:03 PM #5
Sorry, could not paste my screenshot onto this using the snipping tool "what'a bummer" but yea, it looks very similar to yours except mine is showing this "idiot's (pardon me) PC & devices. I guess it's not a problem, would've liked to remove all others. Thanks for the help tho'
Computer Specs

19-Feb-2013, 04:16 AM #6
This info should only show when he is on the network , if he switches his PC off , nothing should show on yours

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_...g_a_Screenshot
Computer Specs
Member with 276 posts.

19-Feb-2013, 11:58 PM #7
Ah, ok. I guess there's a problem w/ chrome not allowing to insert. Anywho' if you have any suggestions I would
be gratified to read. Thanks Etaff'
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: unwanted PC & devices showing in my laptop network-my-ntwrk-pg..png  
Computer Specs
Member with 24 posts.

20-Feb-2013, 12:17 AM #8
If I understand correctly, the display is properly showing the devices which are connected to the network. These devices are NOT "on your machine", they are on the network to which your machine is connected. While you might not like seeing the guy's name, it is irrational to ask the network display to hide things that are actually there.

The only solution to your "problem" (which is not really a problem or a bug, just a preference on your part), is for you to get your own private router and set up your own network with a password that you do not divulge to your former friend.
Computer Specs

20-Feb-2013, 04:59 AM #9
Quote:
I guess there's a problem w/ chrome not allowing to insert.
Should not be, I have used chrome for years and insert OK
Computer Specs
Member with 276 posts.

20-Feb-2013, 01:17 PM #10
Really ? I have much to research & learn. I sure wish I had all the knowledge you guys have. Thanks'

As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!