Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Medialink router problems

(!)

Member with 1 posts.

17-May-2013, 10:32 PM #1
Medialink router problems
I have to reconfigure my Medialink router frequently- about once a week. It seems to happen at random times, even while I'm in the middle of surfing the internet. I get the Internet Explorer message that I don't have internet access. When I click on my network and sharing center, I see my router listed with excellent signal strength, but when I try to connect there is no access.
So I unplug the router, which seems to completely reset the router, and I have to go through reconfiguring it again from factory settings.
Can anyone help me figure out why this keeps happening, and let me know how to configure it once- and only once?
Member with 231 posts.

17-May-2013, 11:22 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubb View Post
I have to reconfigure my Medialink router frequently- about once a week. It seems to happen at random times, even while I'm in the middle of surfing the internet. I get the Internet Explorer message that I don't have internet access. When I click on my network and sharing center, I see my router listed with excellent signal strength, but when I try to connect there is no access.
So I unplug the router, which seems to completely reset the router, and I have to go through reconfiguring it again from factory settings.
Can anyone help me figure out why this keeps happening, and let me know how to configure it once- and only once?
Another long-shot guess here but I'm wondering if your ISPs lease is expring at certain intervals. Now, I'm not sure how that works specifically but I can tell you that my router has an option where I can set the lease expiration to "never" or is it keep lease "forever." It is one or the other. Anyway, a factory reboot would definitely invoke a lease renewal and start the lease timer again. You might also want to try using a wired connection directly to the modem or (minimally) a wired connection to your router to see if that makes any difference. Good luck.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,563 posts.

18-May-2013, 02:01 PM #3
Quote:
Just in case the firmware is buggy make sure you have the latest firmware update. Then, unless that miraculously fixes the problem, replace the defective router.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
medialink, router problems

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!