Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

[SOLVED] Odd problem with a broadband machine going "offline"

(!)

Member with 52 posts.

09-Oct-2003, 06:53 AM #1
Odd problem with a broadband machine going "offline"
Okay, this is a wierd one...

I've got an XP-SP1 machine on a broadband connection. Every so often (I've been unable to notice a specific time delay or trigger), it will think it's offline. But ONLY with IE or Outlook Express. For example, IE will attempt to connect with a dial-up networking window when I try to fire up a website. Alternatively, Outlook Express will tell me I'm currently offline, and would I like to go online? If I click "Yes", all is well for another undetermined amount of time.

Now, it's not my broadband connection. When this happens, other connection-dependent apps work just fine - just IE or Outlook Express.

I've run an AdAware scan, thinking maybe some spyware is fouling things up, and I've just run a virus scan. Nothing along those lines is coming up.

Also, one other thing that might be connected... A folder that I had on my desktop that was deleted keeps popping back up from time to time. Its not necessarily in time with the above problem, but it started happeneing about the time that the connection problem...

Any ideas, anyone?
Computer Specs
Member with 11,584 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Oct-2003, 07:12 AM #2
Kelt
Strange indeed!
Have you checked the obvious setting in IE\tools\Internet Options\connections and make sure it is grayed out as "never dial a connection" or set to "never Dial a connection".
Also
One would suspect Spyware of sort or a Virus\Trojan as you did.
Double check for a virus\trojan by doing a free online scan at Housecall to make sure something wasn't missed. Also download and setup Spybot S&D per These Instructions making sure AdAware didn't miss something.

Lastly that reappearing folder on desktop has me concerned. What is that folder and what is in it?

Also if none of the above prove positive then download, set-up, run, and post results of HiJack This per Instructions Listed Here

Dave
Member with 52 posts.

09-Oct-2003, 08:15 AM #3
Thanks davey. I'll have to try those ideas out this evening - I'm at work now..

The reappearing folder had some WMAs from a CD I put on the machine, and subsequently deleted. I can't figure out why the folder is coming back, and empty...

I'll post back with results later...
Member with 52 posts.

10-Oct-2003, 09:24 AM #4
Well, it seems that was totally it. I'm kicking myself that I never checked that... Grr..

Thanks a ton!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!