Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Why is the computer picking 10.0.0.9 as its IP address?

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-May-2004, 08:43 PM #1
Why is the computer picking 10.0.0.9 as its IP address?
I have 2 computers running XP Home (a desktop and a laptop), each connected to a Linksys WRT54G broadband router (it's a wireless router, but I'm not even using that aspect of the product), which is in turn connected to my Motorola SB4200 Surfboard cable modem. The whole set-up worked fine the past 5 days, but since then ONE of the computers (the laptop) has lost all
connectivity to the Net. The desktop connection has remained fine.

I have isolated the problem to be with the Linksys router. If I bypass it
altogether and connect an Ethernet cable from the cable modem to the laptop, I connect to the Net fine. However, when I insert the router between the two, I lose all Internet connectivity on the laptop. Interestingly, the desktop works fine, so I know the router works. I even tried using the 4 different ports on the router to make sure that one of them wasn't defective.

Can anyone give me some things to check and/or try? I have listed as much
relevant info below. Thanks!
====================================
(from Linksys router screen, DHCP setup screen)
DHCP Server is enabled; the desktop computer is the only client listed in the DHCP Clients Table (the address for the desktop computer is listed as 192.168.1.101)

The laptop is a recently purchased new computer (set up on 5/20, worked until 5/24). When I type ipconfig at the command prompt, I get the following:

IP Address: 10.0.0.9
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway: (blank) (the desktop, which works fine, displays
192.168.1.1 here)

From the laptop, I can successfully ping 10.0.0.9 and 127.0.0.1, but NOT
192.168.1.101 (the desktop computer) nor 192.168.1.1.

From the desktop, I cannot ping 10.0.0.9 (supposedly the laptop computer).

The laptop is configured to use DHCP. Under Network Bridge Properties, I have two adapters checked (Local Area Connection) and 1394 Connection. Both connections are set up to have TCP/IP. When I go into the Advanced section of the TCP/IP properties, the IP address shows "DNCP Enabled", there are no Default gateways listed, all of the DNS and WINS settings are empty, and all checkboxes, etc. match the usual settings.
Member with 22,468 posts.

25-May-2004, 09:14 PM #2
Just as a test, what happens if you enter is a static IP address like 192.168.1.102 with the correct gateway and DNS addresses.

25-May-2004, 09:36 PM #3
Bob -- Not sure exactly where you wanted me to try typing in the static IP address (web browser, command prompt, etc.), but when I type either

http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.1.101

I get the usual white screen message "The page cannot be displayed" in the IE browser.

By the way, when I connect the computer directly to the cable modem (bypassing the router), typing ipconfig yields a meaningful (real world) IP Address and Default Gateway (as one would expect). Thus the problem seems to be a combination of the laptop's network card & settings and the Linksys router. Even more perplexing is that it worked fine for 5 days. Could it have been some sort of IP address expiration that triggered this whole problem?

25-May-2004, 10:02 PM #4
What I was referring to was entering a static IP in the network configuration rather than using DHCP.

25-May-2004, 10:09 PM #5
Also, if the desktop works fine with the router, just not the laptop, I'm not sure at this point it is possible to say that the problem is isolated to the router.
Member with 37 posts.

26-May-2004, 01:07 AM #6
I think i'm having a somewhat related prob.
http://forums.techguy.org/t231153.html
I'm just in the process of adding a router as well.
getting similar ipconfig results heh.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

26-May-2004, 04:15 PM #7
Get rid of the network bridge in network properties, you don't need it.

26-May-2004, 08:12 PM #8
Changing the IP address to 192.168.1.102 didn't help the situation (after the requisite rebooting, etc.). Neither did getting rid of the network bridge.

As I was copying & pasting the various displays from typing ipconfig/all at the command prompt, I did a number of shutdowns and reboots of everything (cable modem, both computers, and router). For WHATEVER reason, after one such reboot, everything worked as it should. The settings on the laptop are identical as they were last night when the problem was there, but now everythign is fine, the laptop appears in the DHCP Clients Table, and I'm back to normal.

What caused this whole thing eludes me, and I fear that it may happen again, and I won't know how to fix it (other than dumb luck).
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!