Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Windows server 2003 and SMB problem

(!)

Member with 72 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Aug-2004, 05:07 PM #1
Windows server 2003 and SMB problem
So far no one can figure this out, so maybe some of the guru's here can help.

I'm using a Canon IR5000 copy machine. It communicates with SMB to the windows network. Previously, with windows 2000 server, it could connect to and save documents to a share folder. Now with server 2003, it locks up when browsing to the server.

Microsoft and Canon both refered me to this knowledgebase article:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=811497

I've performed these steps, but still no luck. The printer can browse all the other servers on my network, just not the 2003 PDC where all the edocuments are stored. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

William
Member with 32 posts.

02-Aug-2004, 05:20 PM #2
Might be a firewall issue.
Member with 72 posts.

04-Aug-2004, 01:50 PM #3
firewall
no, these machines are on the same subnet.
Member with 72 posts.

11-Aug-2004, 12:41 PM #4
smb and wins
This was tricky, but it got fixed. For those interested:

The SMB request was sent to the PDC, which caused the copy machine to lock up. I ran ethereal to watch the transaction and found that the request was fine, but the response was to a 169.x.x.x address. Running an SMB request on another server would respond with the correct address 192.x.x.x.

Turns out, that the secondary nic on the server was used during initial install, and was then unplugged. It assigned itself the exact same 169.x.x.x address that was being sent to the copy machine. How could an unused NIC send a response via the used and functional NIC? Well, the WINS cache had somehow grabbed the 169.x.x.x address and was using it to respond to the browse request. By utilizing the secondary WINS server, the problem went away.

Oh what fun this was to diagnose! Hope this helps someone that may experience the same problem.

William
Junior Member with 1 posts.

14-Apr-2008, 04:24 AM #5
Talking Wins problem on server causing "no response" when SMB scanning
I had a similar problem and found out that the problem was due to the wins config on the server.

Browsing via workstations to the server only tests DNS and the copier uses Wins (Netbios) names to communicate.

To test that wins is configured correctly on the server download the nblookup tool from MS and run it on on any PC on your network.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830578

If you can not communicate with the server via wins then SMB will not work...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!