Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

DHCD / IP Addresses

(!)

dragonlight dragonlight is offline dragonlight has a Profile Picture
Member with 347 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Sep-2004, 04:25 PM #1
DHCD / IP Addresses
I have a DI 604 router, I have assigned all my computers their own IP addresses and so on. Would I or could I disable DHCP in the router? Looking for some networking tips.
Thanks Chad
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

16-Sep-2004, 04:42 PM #2
If you manually enter all the addresses, it probably doesn't matter much one way or ther other.

I guess I'm curious as to why you go to the trouble to manually assign them, I'm lazy and let them be assigned for me.
Member with 347 posts.

16-Sep-2004, 04:53 PM #3
I manually assign them, cuz I have 4 computer with remote desktop, and remote cams, and the router for some reason likes to switch the ip addresses sometimes.
I have to have stable ip addresses.
Member with 22,468 posts.

17-Sep-2004, 08:15 AM #4
That's one of the reasons I like to use static IP address. Being able to remotely access computers is such an efficient way to set up a network. My customers just love the quick response. Some days I don't even have to leave home and get a decent amount of work done. Cause it's so fast and saves so much driving time, I get lots of time to play. It is also not that hard to keep track of. I just have a spreadsheet on each site's server with the assigned IP addresses. Also like to keep a post-it taped to each computer with the name and IP address (just in case of a reinstall). In the scheme of things this is not that much more to do.

One reason you might want to leave DHCP in place is just in case you occasionally get roving people coming in with laptops that might want to use the network for Internet access. If so then just make sure that the DHCP range is outside of the ones you use for your static IP addresses. Otherwise you can probably just turn it off.
Member with 347 posts.

17-Sep-2004, 09:02 AM #5
That is just it, I don't want anyone comming in and plugging in, I would like to keep this netowrk tight. :-) and I love the remote desktop, they have 5 computers here and I can access them all from where I live. I am about 5 hours away..and when they have problems I just pop in and fix them.

17-Sep-2004, 09:06 AM #6
Just offering it as a possibility but not a necessity. Everyone's situation is different. If you will never need DHCP then there is no reason for leaving it turned on.
Member with 347 posts.

17-Sep-2004, 10:04 AM #7
Thanks for all the help....
Computer Specs

17-Sep-2004, 05:28 PM #8
Many routers, like my D-Link DI-614+, allow you to reserve DHCP slots locked to MAC addresses. This allows my permanent network residents to have fixed IP addresses, and other machines that don't always get plugged in to have DCHP assigned addresses. The beauty of this scheme is that all of the machines are setup the same way, automatic IP addresses, so reconfiguration is very easy.

17-Sep-2004, 05:38 PM #9
From the information provided by dragonlight in a previous post, he does not what anyone to be able to just plug into his network and get an IP address assigned. I'm also not sure why it is so difficult to just assign IP addresses to computers. You certainly don't need to worry about what MAC address each one would have and then configure anything on the router. It is also a solution that would work regardless of the capabilities of any router.
Computer Specs

18-Sep-2004, 10:12 AM #10
Who said it was difficult? However, it's certainly easier to just plug in a machine and have it connected.

18-Sep-2004, 12:44 PM #11
Using DHCP all depends on your requirements. From a previous post from the original person "I don't want anyone comming in and plugging in, I would like to keep this netowrk tight"
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!