Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can Obtain IP address: No Ping / No Surf

(!)

Member with 4,694 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Sep-2004, 01:00 PM #1
Can Obtain IP address: No Ping / No Surf
I've got a single Windows XP machine connected to a cable modem. I am able to obtain a dynamic IP address from my ISP but I cannot Ping any other addresses (I tried by DNS name and by IP address.) I am also unable to get a reply when I ping ISP Gateway. I am however able to get a reply when pinging the loopback address (127.0.0.1) Both Zone Alarm and the Windows XP firewall are disabled during all my attempts. I have used netsh int ip reset to reset the TCP/IP stack and tried a second network card but neither had any effect. The cable modem appears to be functioning properly and I assume the network cable is OK or I wouldn't be able to get an IP address in the first place. The ISP says the problem is on my end. Norton AV does not detect any problems. I've tried everything! Any suggestions?

Rollin

Last edited by Rollin_Again; 23-Sep-2004 at 01:18 PM..
Member with 168 posts.

23-Sep-2004, 02:20 PM #2
It gets a valid ip? (not 169...)

You are in atlanta... Comcast right? Their level 1 techs are idiots.
That sounds very much like they need to rebuild your virtual circuit(or whatever they call it)... You get dhcp and dns... But can pass no traffic on the network.

A difinitive test of this could use another computer or a router. If a computer, connect it to the cable modem(with a long powercycle)... If the same thing happens, its your circuit. Or with a router, if your computer can connect to it and ping it, its your circuit...
Member with 163 posts.

23-Sep-2004, 02:35 PM #3
ipconfig /all reports what.

If your getting a proper connection to the ISP and being assigned an IP, then you should be able to pass traffic.
Member with 4,694 posts.

24-Sep-2004, 10:00 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtown_onsite
It gets a valid ip? (not 169...)
Yes the IP address is valid and it is a Comcast IP. The computer belongs to my friend so I would have to go back to his house in order to get more info regarding the configuration. I used to have similar problems occasionally with my own Windows 2000 computer but I was always able to resolve it by uninstalling TCP/IP and then adding it back. Windows XP does not allow TCP/IP to be removed so I reset the TCP/IP stack instead using Netsh command but that didn't work. I have always been able to resolve Network issues but this one has me scratchin my head

Could these problems be caused by spyware? He has AdAware and Spybot both installed but neither has been updated in about a year. Without a connection to the internet he can't get the most recent update. I suppose I could add his hard drive to my PC as a slave and scan it but I really don't want to unless I have to. As a last resort I will have to reformat his drive and reinstall his OS.

Rollin
Member with 134 posts.

24-Sep-2004, 10:11 AM #5
Sounds like your winsock got corrupted. Download WinsockXPFix to repair.

WinsockXPFix
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

24-Sep-2004, 10:14 AM #6
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

24-Sep-2004, 10:16 AM #7
Per chance, did they just install SP2?
Member with 4,694 posts.

24-Sep-2004, 12:00 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcaCandy
Per chance, did they just install SP2?
When I look in Add/Remove Programs there are a bunch of Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) programs. I assume these are SP2 files, but the funny thing is that my friend said that these connectivity problem started over 2 months ago. If I remember correctly, SP2 wasn't available until the second week of August. Perhaps he is mistaken about when the problems started and Windows updated SP2 automatically causing the problems. Should I advise him to remove those files to see if this affects the situation. I will also try the Winsock fix to see if that helps.

Rollin

Last edited by Rollin_Again; 24-Sep-2004 at 12:18 PM..
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Mar-2007, 01:08 AM #9
While I appreciate your frustration, as a comcast employee I don't appreciate being called an idiot. I have several years of active duty experiance as a network administrator and am currently working on a degree in computer science.

Comcast has a tool that pings your modem, pc, and default gateway from a web server. If we are able to ping your gateway but not your computer, the issue is somewhere between the modem itself and your pc.

If we are not able to ping your gateway the issue is somewhere on your circuit.

I am very curious if anyone knows if that Winsock fix works. I've had this issue a couple times, and always hate refering people to their OEM.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

28-Mar-2007, 02:26 PM #10
This is a thread over two years old, why are you digging this up?

FYI, that WINSOCK fix works on pre-SP2 systems, for SP2, you should use this process:

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!