Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

"Local device name already in use" error

(!)

Member with 123 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Oct-2004, 12:28 PM #1
"Local device name already in use" error
I am at work on a new computer running XP Service Pack 2 and I'm having problems connecting to our server. When I try to go to these drives I get the message "Local device name is already in use. " "This connection cannot be restored." These shortcuts worked yesterday which was the first day I hooked this computer up, now they don't for some reason. Our "IT" people don't know a whole lot because they are really just our accounting department so I'm trying this route. Also, I can still access the internet and email which is routed through our network just not the network drives.
Senior Member with 521 posts.

Experience: Networking Professional
20-Oct-2004, 05:26 PM #2
Did you disconnect the laptop from the network, put it in standby mode or hibernate, (for instance to take it home), then come in and simply reattach and unlock the computer? If so, the Domain Controller (aka Active Directory Server) has probably forgotten your credentials. Try to logout, then log back in, or deleting the shares and reconnecting to them sometimes works as well. If those don't work, try rebooting.

-Scott
Member with 244 posts.

20-Oct-2004, 07:04 PM #3
Sounds like the computer is trying to map a drive that already exists. Go to, "My Computer" then look at the drives there. If any of them have a red X right click them and click disconnect.
Member with 123 posts.

21-Oct-2004, 06:02 AM #4
I already rebooted and logged out and back in and all that but none of it worked. This is not a laptop, its just a regular desktop computer. Also, I checked to make sure that no local drives had the same drive letter as the drives on the server. I suspect that it is something along the lines of the server forgetting my credentials, so how can I fix that?
Member with 123 posts.

21-Oct-2004, 06:19 AM #5
One more thing I have tried that I thought I should mention. I disconnected from the drives and was going to re-map them. When I went to My Network Places I get an icon for our local group but no drives. Since their are no drives to map, I can't re-map them. I guess that makes sense since I can't connect, but this is almost like I'm not really logged on to the server. When I start up I log on as usual and I get no error messages or anything but something is definitely not right.
Senior Member with 521 posts.

Experience: Networking Professional
21-Oct-2004, 09:44 AM #6
You don't have to see the drives in order to attempt to map them, you just need either the server name and share name or the ip address and share name.

You might try "finding" the machine name that the drives are on, if you can find it, the drives should show up...

But, if you're supposed to be logging into a domain, but you're currently not, then I'd say you need to contact the admins, and get that box to login to the domain correctly.

-Scott
Computer Specs
Member with 186 posts.

21-Oct-2004, 10:58 AM #7
You may have a cached session on the server still. Disconnect or turn off problem PC.

Logon to server, control panel-->admin tools-->computer management-->shared folders-->sessions. See if your computer name is in there, if so, right click and disconnect. Refresh(Hit F5 key) and connect PC back to network.
Member with 123 posts.

21-Oct-2004, 11:11 AM #8
OK thanks for the info, I'm gonna give that a shot
Member with 123 posts.

22-Oct-2004, 01:18 PM #9
OK, the network administrator removed me from our network as a user then re-added me. Then, she logged me on from a 98SE computer on the network and it worked fine, I could get to the server drives and network printers just fine. However, when we tried to get to these resources on my XP system it wouldn't work. We tried to remap them through My Network Places but oddly when we went into the Entire Network ---->Microsoft Windows Network----->(our local server name) there was nothing. The computer names that should have shown up under our local network were not there. At startup, I logged on with my normal network password and didn't get any error messages, but for some reason I don't see any of the other machines on our local network. Whats up with that?
Computer Specs
Member with 186 posts.

22-Oct-2004, 01:43 PM #10
Is your firewall enabled? Check Control Panel-->Windows Firewall and go to tab marked "Exceptions" and check that File and Printer Sharing is checked (allowed as an exception). You could also just disable the firewall.
Member with 22,468 posts.

22-Oct-2004, 06:19 PM #11
The error "Local device name is already in use" simply means that you are trying to map a network connection with a drive letter that already is assigned to some local device.

That is why logging in on another computer worked. It didn't have the same local devices as your computer.

You need to have your network administrator see what drive letters are trying to mapped, which local device already has one of those letters assigned, and give it a different local drive letter.
Member with 123 posts.

25-Oct-2004, 06:16 AM #12
I have heard that this error should be because a local drive has the same drive letter as network drive and therefore the network drive cannot be mapped but I don't think thats the problem here. I only have A, C, & D drives on my system (No partitions, removeable drives, etc) The network drives are supposedly S, P, and U.

25-Oct-2004, 08:00 AM #13
Is the computer also trying to run a logon script that would make a network connection for one that is already there.

For example, if a drive letter is mapped through the Windows Explorer, and then the same drive letter is trying to be mapped through a logon script, you can get the same error.
Member with 123 posts.

25-Oct-2004, 08:28 AM #14
OK that is a little bit over my head I think but it sounds like you might be on the right track. I do login to the network at startup and sometimes there is an error *before* I login when the login screen is up that says something like "A duplicate name exists on the server." Does that sound like about what you're talking about?

25-Oct-2004, 08:34 AM #15
Exactly.

An easy way to test this out and hopefully solve the problem (assuming you have a login script running) is to:

1. Open the Windows Explorer
2. Tools / Disconnect Network Drive
3. Note all the drive connections you have (just in case there isn't a login script)
4. Remove them one at a time
5. Log off and back on again
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!