Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Computer not communicating with Router

(!)

Junior Member with 13 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Nov-2004, 08:43 PM #1
Computer not communicating with Router
Sheesh, I'm really having problems with my Newtork... Ok, this is a new problem and as far as I can tell it's completely unrelated to the last problem I had involving dropped/inconsistent connections.

Okay, so here goes. I have two Dell PCs both conneted to my D-Link DI-824VUP router. They both have Integrated Intel network adapters which are connected directly to the router via Ethernet cable. One of them (the one I'm currently using) can easily connect to the internet and retrieve it's IP address through DHCP server, which is enabled on my router. The problem is, on my second computer windows displays the following message in relation to my LAN connection: "Limited or no connectivity". I then check the status of the LAN connection under the "Network connections" window and click "more details". It stated the problem was caused because the network did not assign a network address to the computer. I click the repair option and it states it cannot renew my ip address.

After quite a bit of trial and error I have narrowed it down to this much so far.
1. There are no problems with the network adapter
2. No problems with the ethernet cable
3. No problems with computer settings as far as I know

So, whatever the problem might be it's must be with the router, for some reason the router is not communicating with the computer. I even tried to manually enter the TCP/IP configuration and that fixed the window error with the LAN connection. However, I could not connect to the internet. Therefore I figure it cannot communicate with the router (*not sure if I'm right here, I just figured so*).

I have tried releasing and renewing the DHCP server on the router, and releasing and renewing with command prompt ipconfig. No changes.

I would like to know whether it sounds like the problem DOES lie in my router, because the other computer works fine. So, if it is my router I wonder why it does not communicate with the computer that has problems. Now I'm not even sure if it MUST lie in the router, so I'm open to all recommendations. Thanks for your time
Senior Member with 914 posts.

15-Nov-2004, 09:12 PM #2
An easy way to tell if the router is bad would be to switch ports and see if the problem changes (plug Comp1 into port for Comp2 and Comp2 into Comp1's ). Reboot both computers, and if problem switches from one computer to the other the problem is the router, if problem stays with same computer, then the problem is in your settings/NIC/Cabling.

16-Nov-2004, 01:36 AM #3
Okay, tried what you just suggested and to no avail... So that means it's not the router that's good new in that I do not have to buy a new one ($100 or so dollars) but bad news in that I haven't found out what is wrong with this. So, if you check this thread again Jack Horner, could you please give me some instructions on checking my settings/NIC/cabling.

I have already tried using different cables for the connection and made sure they are all properly connected (like 10 times, hoping I'd missed something :P ). Therefore, I thing it must either be NIC or settings. What exactly is NIC? heard of it, but I'm not familiar with it.

Well thanks for the help I'm one step closer to finding out what is wrong with this LAN.

16-Nov-2004, 09:29 PM #4
Scorch
NIC - Network Interface Card - this is where you plug the network cable into your computer (in your case, the Intel Network Adapter).
Don't know what OS you are using, so this will be close, but maybe not quite right (these are for XP).
Under network connections, Right click on connection, properties,TCP/IP, Properties, Make sure it is setup to obtain address automatically
Under Internet Options> Connection make sure that never dial a connection is checked, Then run setup.
If these don't work, you can try setting it up manually. To do this, you need to know your Default Gateway, Subnet, and DNS servers These can be found by running ipconfig/all from the machine that can connect to the internet. You will also need to give it an IP address. This can be the next one up from the one on your good computer ex. if good computers address is 192.168.1.5 , then give this one 192.168.1.6. Hope this helps, if you need more help I will be back tomorrow evening after work.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

16-Nov-2004, 10:14 PM #5
I'm curious as to how you determined there was no problem with the NIC, cable, or computer. Since the other machine functions correctly with the router, if you connect this non-working machine to the same router port as the working machine uses, that eliminates the router as the possible cause.

My guess is you have a configuration issue, bad cable, or bad NIC.
Junior Member with 7 posts.

16-Nov-2004, 10:24 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch4321ic
The problem is, on my second computer windows displays the following message in relation to my LAN connection: "Limited or no connectivity". I then check the status of the LAN connection under the "Network connections" window and click "more details". It stated the problem was caused because the network did not assign a network address to the computer. I click the repair option and it states it cannot renew my ip address.
This sounds very familiar to the problem I had setting up mine, and Jack helped out in that other thread. I got the "Limited or no connectivity" message when I assigned the IP, but NOT the DNS of the ISP. After setting the DNS too, the "limited or no connectivity" message went away.

16-Nov-2004, 10:27 PM #7
Actually johnwill I had him try switching ports on the router yesterday, and he has already tried different cables, so that leaves us with the NIC or the settings which we are working on now.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

17-Nov-2004, 09:54 AM #8
I'm assuming XP here, since it's not specified. You may want to try this Reset XP TCP/IP Stack and this WINSOCK Fix for XP

If it's not XP, please be more specific in the messages.

17-Nov-2004, 08:58 PM #9
Okay, yeah it was set on obtain address automatically and there weren't any problems with internet options. I actually input the tcp/ip settings manually yesterday just like you just recommended. This is interesting, after inputing the settings, the "limited or no connectivity" disappeared. As I'm sure it should, anyways, with these settings I CAN actually communicate with the working computer over my LAN. Thing is, even though this works, the internet does not, I cannot use Internet Explorer, or any other application that accesses the internet. So I have a LAN connection (router is working) but the internet still does not work

And yes, I do have Windwos XP Professional SP1 (after checking some other internet resources I uninstalled SP2, but no changes) Sorry for not informing you before, it slipped past me

I sure hope you don't get stumped with this one, thanks for the help.

to johnwill, I used WinSockFixXP already, it worked a long time ago with a IE problem, but not here as for the reset stack thing. Thanks for the idea, I did try it out resetting the comp as we speak. Let's hope it did something
nope oh well...

17-Nov-2004, 09:19 PM #10
Just to check, make sure that you have entered all the address that I mentioned. There should be at least 4:
1) your system's IP ( must be different than your other computer and the gateway's)
2) default gateway ( usually your routers IP)
3) subnet - this tells the router whether or not the address is local or external
4) DNS (may be more than one) these are the servers that take a URL and convert it into an IP.

18-Nov-2004, 01:10 PM #11
aye aye capitan, yes I checked to make sure and yes I do have all 5. I got the DNS addresses from the working computer as well as subnet mask (which automatically was set when I clicked in the box). The only thing different from the working computer is the IP address which I added 10 - 192.168.0.120.

So, hmm, I hope this isn't stumping you, but I think it should say something that the LAN works now but I have no internet connection whatsoever. In the mean time I'm keeping these settings up so I can transfer files between computers.

Thanks for the help, I cannot wait to hear from you again

18-Nov-2004, 01:44 PM #12
Since we have tried several things, lets make sure none of the components are "confused" .Turn off both computers, unplug the router, and the modem. Plug the modem back in, and wait until the LEDs indicate that it is ready, then do the same with the router, then with each computer. This way your ISP will reassign an IP to the modem, the router will then get that IP, and when the computers are turned back on one will be given an address by the router, and the other will still use the static address that you put in.
Junior Member with 16 posts.

18-Nov-2004, 03:06 PM #13
Obtaining IP from DHCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch4321ic
The problem is, on my second computer windows displays the following message in relation to my LAN connection: "Limited or no connectivity". I then check the status of the LAN connection under the "Network connections" window and click "more details". It stated the problem was caused because the network did not assign a network address to the computer. I click the repair option and it states it cannot renew my ip address.
Hi Scorch

I had a problem like this and I deduced that it was probably due to the PC being unable to obtain an IP address from the DHCP server. The way I solved it was to manually configure the PC with IP, submask and gateway addresses. I immediately got a network connection but not to the Internet, as you described. I suspect that once you start manually configuring the connection you would also need to configure the LAN settings in MS IE.

I immediately re-booted the PC and then changed the network setting back to automatically obtaining IP from DHCP. I've had no more problems of this sort since.

What I think the re-booting achieved was to write a working configuration to the registry, which the DHCP was subsequently able to overwrite. Prior to this I'd had the same symtoms that you've described.

Hope this procedure works for you OK.

rgds

Richard

Last edited by 1sta; 18-Nov-2004 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: Title added

18-Nov-2004, 04:47 PM #14
Okay, I'm off to school I'll try both recommendations as soon as I get back and let you guys know how they work out. Thanks
Account Disabled with 5,809 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Nov-2004, 05:00 PM #15
$100 for a router, you don't have costco or walmart around?

did you ever try the setup disk for the router?
mine is a cable connection and it took 3 minutes to setup and the setup computer isn't in the system any more.

the one onboard nic could have failed.

bite the bullet and spend $10 for a pci card.

Last edited by bearone2; 18-Nov-2004 at 05:07 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!