Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: DSL installation failure/does not detect modem (?)

(!)

Junior Member with 15 posts.

Experience: Uhh... OH! WITH THE PC? ;) Depends.....
17-Jan-2005, 02:19 AM #1
Unhappy Solved: DSL installation failure/does not detect modem (?)
I have spent hours on the phone with my new DSL carrier, and even more time coming here and trying to find out how to fix what went wrong while following their 'support' directions. I am supposed to call them back after I reconfigure my hard drive now?
OK the first problem was I was having to exit the installation because the modem was not being detected. After several attempts to help me, the tech reps had to eventually clock out and go home! I was left with the problems you can read about in my previous posts.
NOW... I'm reluctant to call them back at all, fearing I'll reap more of the same and still not have any internet connection at all. I need to be able to report my work online, and now I can't even get a dial up connection unless I use my daughter's 10 hour-a-month-limit-computer. If I ever get the DSL to recognize the modem THEY supplied with the kit, and get connected, I'll be using a Linksys wired router to connect her PC, as well.
Anyone care to step in before I make that fatal call?? I am procrastinating as much as possible... saving all my data onto my daughter's PC in case mine completely crashes.
Thanks in advance!
Senior Member with 914 posts.

18-Jan-2005, 01:08 AM #2
How are you currently setup? Modem -> computer or Modem -> Router -> Computer? If not Modem -> Computer, do that way first, then when everything is working add the router

18-Jan-2005, 11:34 AM #3
Still trying to get the PC to recognize the modem. Haven't received the router yet.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

18-Jan-2005, 11:38 AM #4
If you plan to use a router, then the modem should be connected to your computer using an ethernet cable. There should be no modem drivers to install, and nothing will appear in Device Manager. I don't understand what you mean when you say you can't get the computer to recognize the modem. Are you trying to connect it using a USB cable?

18-Jan-2005, 12:27 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleHelix
If you plan to use a router, then the modem should be connected to your computer using an ethernet cable. There should be no modem drivers to install, and nothing will appear in Device Manager. I don't understand what you mean when you say you can't get the computer to recognize the modem. Are you trying to connect it using a USB cable?
I'm using the ethernet cable, modem, and CD provided by SBC to install the DSL. During the installation process, the cd downloads the software, then I get the error message that it's not detecting the modem.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

18-Jan-2005, 12:33 PM #6
I'm not familiar with DSL setups, so hopefully someone will come along with more info. With a cable modem, you just connect it, and it works. I know some DSL connections require authentication, but I didn't think they required the installation of software.

It's also possible the modem is bad. Your DSL provider should have at least offered to install it for you (even if for a fee). If you can't even get it set up, I'd be seriously concerned about future problems and their ability to respond in a timely fashion. Maybe you should consider finding a different provider.
Member with 22,468 posts.

18-Jan-2005, 12:33 PM #7
If you connect the modem to the WAN port on the router, then there is nothing to install.

The router should pick up the configuration from the modem. The computers can just be set for DHCP and there isn't anything to configure there either.
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Jan-2005, 01:07 PM #8
Let's close this one and continue with the other one so it doesn't get too confusing.

http://forums.techguy.org/t319944.html
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!