Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to hook up 2 computers to cable modem?

(!)

Member with 717 posts.

24-Jan-2005, 05:31 PM #1
How to hook up 2 computers to cable modem?
I am new to this so please bear with me. I have one computer and 1 cable modem. Currently my computer is hooked up through the USB port on the modem. I want to get a second computer for my household, so I checked online with my cable service to see if I can connect two computers to my modem and it says you can hook up 2 computers through a home network, but they do not provide tech support for home networking so I need to check through there. So that didn't answer my question on how do I do it, and I have no clue on how to set up a home network. I basically want another computer that can access the internet at the same time and do word processing functions. I wanted to know if I have to pay an additional service fee to my cable company and purchase another modem, or does the second computer somehow get connected to the main computer. There is an empty ethernet connection on the modem, but it says not to connect both the Ethernet and USB cable to the PC, or can you connect the second computer here? Thanks for any help on to do this.
Member with 717 posts.

24-Jan-2005, 06:09 PM #2
My computer info...
My current computer:
Intel Pentium III
Windows 98 SE
256 MB RAM

The new computer, since I haven't purchased it yet, will probably have:
Windows XP
Intel Pentium 4
512 MB RAM
bosshogg151 bosshogg151 is offline bosshogg151 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 553 posts.

Experience: Always Learning.........
24-Jan-2005, 06:10 PM #3
You can hook a wireless router between the modem and the main machine and run the 2nd machine either wirelessly, or with an ethernet cable off the router. You can get everything you need at a Circuit City or Best Buy.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

24-Jan-2005, 08:36 PM #4
You get a broadband router, and connect it to the Ethernet connection. Then you can share the Internet connection with multiple computers.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,068 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Jan-2005, 05:16 PM #5
Member with 120 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Jan-2005, 05:28 PM #6
Most cable modems have 2 outputs, a USB for computers that don't have a ethernet port, and an ethernet output. You can just run a network cable from the modem to the new machine, they should both work at the same time. And just keep the usb hooked up to your current computer. This would be the cheap way to go, possibly costless if you already have a network cord.
Computer Specs

25-Jan-2005, 07:16 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnieb6680
Most cable modems have 2 outputs, a USB for computers that don't have a ethernet port, and an ethernet output. You can just run a network cable from the modem to the new machine, they should both work at the same time. And just keep the usb hooked up to your current computer. This would be the cheap way to go, possibly costless if you already have a network cord.
Actually, this is not the way to go for a couple of reasons. The vast majority of cable ISP accounts only allocate a single public IP, and you can't use both connections simultaneously.

The broadband router will allow you to connect multiple machines, have wireless connections if you so choose, and gives you firewall protection to boot. All this for $10-20 after rebate, what's not to like?
Member with 120 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Jan-2005, 08:43 PM #8
I agree that isn't the way to do it, simply a way to 'rig' it if you have too.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,068 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Jan-2005, 09:22 PM #9
Plus the router will provide a small degree of protection because it will come defaulted with all the ports blocked. Granted, it's not a true firewall, but it's better than just being directly connected to the Internet without anything in between.
Computer Specs

26-Jan-2005, 10:04 AM #10
Well, it's a true incoming firewall, just doesn't block any outgoing traffic.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!