Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Keep Losing Connection - Comcast

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Apr-2005, 10:13 AM #1
Keep Losing Connection - Comcast
Hi, we have Comcast Cable Internet service and a home network consisting of a Linksys Cable Modem and a Linksys Wireless Broadband Router (WRT54G). The modem and router are connected to each other via an Ethernet cable. We have 3 PC's and a laptop wired to the router and an additional laptop connected via wireless. The modem, router and all wired computers have been functioning reliably for over a year. The wireless laptop has been connected for about 2 months -- at that time I upgraded the bios in the router and made some other router configuration changes necessary to enable the wireless. It has worked without glitch since initially connected. Nothing else in the network or router configuration has changed since then.

Over the past few days we have been continually losing the Internet connection on all workstations, wired and wireless. When this happens I unplug the modem and the router, leave them off for a bit and plug them back in and the connection is back. Occasionally it is necessary to reboot the PC to get the connection back after the reset, but not usually. The connection then holds for a random period of time -- from a couple of minutes to several hours, and I have to reset everything again.

I've searched various online tech forums and have tried a few things I've seen suggested, but still no luck. I have the most current version of firmware on the router and have tried cloning my PC MAC address on the router. Since the last change in the configuration was enabling the wireless, I have also tried disabling this completely at the router. Still no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

springchick
Old Rich has a Photo Album
Member with 10,249 posts.

Experience: Learning
03-Apr-2005, 10:48 AM #2
You can try connecting one of the pc's directly to the modem to rule out router issues . . if it still looses the connection, the cable company can test the line voltage to see if they are haveing signal loss.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 52,186 posts.

03-Apr-2005, 11:06 AM #3
i used to have a problem on my d-link router like this - and hardcoding the dns server IPS fixed the problem for me
if you goto a dos prompt and type
ipconfig /all
you should see what primary and secondary dns server IP's you are using.
see if you can hard code them in
otherwise as above
Member with 22,468 posts.

03-Apr-2005, 01:08 PM #4
It's easy to test whether it is a DNS issue or not.

If you can ping an outside server by IP but not by Name, it is typically a DNS problem.

But I've also been having the same problem with Comcast the last few days. Swapped out with a different router and so far (only one day's worth), things have been ok. But that is just my particular situation and hardware.
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Apr-2005, 06:25 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cerelli
It's easy to test whether it is a DNS issue or not.

If you can ping an outside server by IP but not by Name, it is typically a DNS problem.
I am able to ping both by IP and by name without having DNS servers hard-coded in the router set-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etaf
i used to have a problem on my d-link router like this - and hardcoding the dns server IPS fixed the problem for me
I added the DNS server IP's to the router configuration and that didn't solve the problem.

Quote:
You can try connecting one of the pc's directly to the modem to rule out router issues
Did this and have been able to maintain a connection for over 12 hours so far. Appears the problem may be at the router. I am not convinced there is anything wrong with the router, rather that is an issue with Comcast and the router. At one time you had to have the MAC address registered with them, but that was with our old router and we never had to change it when we got the new one so I assumer they had abandoned that practice. I am wondering if they have reinstated this policy.

I tried cloning my MAC address but I was trying with the MAC address of my PC -- not the old router (don't have a clue what that was). It wouldn't really do any good unless the MAC address I was cloning was the one they have on file.

Anyway, can't function over here with only one PC and no firewall, so I need to get to the bottom of this today.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

springchick
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!