Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Having trouble connecting to my FTP server from the outside world...

(!)

Member with 263 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-May-2005, 04:47 PM #1
Having trouble connecting to my FTP server from the outside world...
I am running FileZila FTP server. My OS is XP Pro. I set up a group and then a user within that group in Filezilla and assigned the same folder privileges to both the group and the user. I had someone try to connect to it, and he said that he connected but that he didn't get any directory listing, and he got the error message "can't open data connection". I did a little research and read that FTP sometimes needs more than just port 21, and that passive mode users sometimes need a different port range as well, so I set port ranges 20-25 and 5000-5100 on my router to forward to the server machine. I then had someone else attempt to connect from the outside, and the same kind of thing happened to her but she got a different error message "An error has occured - please make sure you have permission to open the folder". I am stuck now. Does anyone have any idea what's causing this? If you'd like to try to connect yourself, it's

ftp://jras.merseine.nu
username: Anon
password: password

Any help is much appreciated.
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-May-2005, 07:45 PM #2
Try making your other users use an FTP client instead of a FTP server to access your server [Cute FTP, Flash FXP]
That's the only thing I can think of right now
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-May-2005, 07:51 PM #3
I just accessed ur FTP site using FlashFXP and its working perfect
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

01-May-2005, 07:53 PM #4
I don't see any problem, I transferred a small file, and it all seems to work well. I'd change the name/password now, since you posted them in an open public forum!
Member with 263 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-May-2005, 08:24 PM #5
Just to make sure you guys saw the right thing....it was a folder full of mp3s and subfolders with other mp3s, right? Also, could you write to them or just read? I didn't give write privileges to the account so you shouldn't be able to write to it.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

02-May-2005, 08:23 AM #6
I didn't try to write, just downloaded a U2 MP3, it seemed to work just fine, and the file played. You obviously have connectivity, now you just need to work on account security.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!