Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Access Point vs Range Expander

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 208 posts.

Experience: uses pc and likes to understand how things work
12-May-2005, 03:12 PM #1
Access Point vs Range Expander
Hi,

I am trying to boost the signal from a wireless router. When I spoke to Linksys, they suggested 3 options: access point, range expander, or high gain antenna.

Can someone explain to me what the difference between an access point and a range expander? Is one better than the other? If I am to purchase a new equipment, I want something that can help for future endeavours.

Thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,214 posts.

Experience: Advanced
13-May-2005, 07:38 AM #2
Hi-gain antenna - basically an antenna that connects to any wireless device making its distance longer.

Range extenders - usually have no hardwired ethernet jack at all. They have to be within range of the original wireless device and then they "extend" the bubble.

Wireless access points - usually have an ethernet jack so they can be hardwired into an exisiting wired ethernet infrastructure. Also note some WAP's do have the ability to be used as range extenders (though usually require the intial ethernet connection to get setup).

As far as one being better than another it really depends on application. I am one for the WAP's/range extender combinations but then again I like wired Ethernet alot more than I care for wireless. Check out - http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=35&prid=608 -
Where it says - "You can also use the Wireless-G Access Point as a kind of "cable-less cable" to connect remote areas together."
Junior Member with 26 posts.

16-May-2005, 03:15 PM #3
Hi, I am not an expert but I just bought the Netgear Wall-Plugged Wireless Range Extender and for me it is awesome! I live in a big house with my base station upstairs on one end of the house and my wireless laptop downstairs on the other end. I had no downstairs signal at all before, but now it seems just as fast as my upstairs PC! All you do is plug the base station via ethernet cable (included) into one little box and plug it into a wall outlet near your base station. Then you plug the other little box into an outlet near your wireless computer and that's all! No software or anything! I guess it the signal passes through the wiring in your house. I think I paid around $100 for it so it isn't the cheapest solution, but to me it seems the easiest. Plus, you can move the box around to other parts of your house or even outside as needed when you move your laptop, or add other boxes to create other wireless access points. Hope this helps!
Computer Specs
Member with 208 posts.

Experience: uses pc and likes to understand how things work
17-May-2005, 01:08 PM #4
Thanks StumpedTechy and dolittle for the info. Before buying any new hardware, I have decided to make some reflectors (www.freeantennas.com) and see if it increases the range of the router. Since this problem is in my in-law's house, I can't test until the next visit. Will post a note once I test it out. Thanks again.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!