Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

I found a solution for XP wireless disconnects

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 8,812 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Jul-2005, 10:25 AM #1
I found a solution for XP wireless disconnects
I always though XP was kinda broken because it would suffer intermediate wireless network disconnections. This was very irritating when you were downloading a file only to have XP disconnect you in the middle. Anyway, here's a fix.

"Wireless FiXP"
Geoff van den Ouden - 11/20/04

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1190/

Wireless FiXP is a simple command line tool that enables the 'Wireless Zero Configuration Service' under Windows XP, waits for a connection and then again disables the service.

This tool has been developed since a lot of XP users have sudden disconnects when using a WiFi device. Although disabling this service usually solves the problem, a lot of people found out that on reboot they had to enable the service again to connect to their network. After that they had to disable the service again, because of the sudden disconnects.

Installation
Just put the 'Wireless FiXP.exe' wherever you like and right click on it and select 'Create shortcut'. Place the shortcut in the startup-folder of the 'Start Menu'. section in Windows. This is usually located in

C:\Documents and Settings\\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

If you want to enable it for all users on that machine, you can usually place it in:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,362 posts.

08-Jul-2005, 07:36 PM #2
An even easier and better way is to use the utility that comes with your wireless adaptor, and tell WZC to go away permanently.
Old Rich has a Photo Album
Member with 10,249 posts.

Experience: Learning
08-Jul-2005, 07:52 PM #3
Hmmmm . .
I find that usiing the WZC rather than 3rd party softwae to manage wireless connection fixes the random disconnect problem . .

Last edited by Old Rich; 08-Jul-2005 at 07:59 PM..
Trusted Advisor with 19,643 posts.

08-Jul-2005, 08:16 PM #4
The Intel Utility works fine for me. I can't say that I have ever experienced intermediate disconnections.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

08-Jul-2005, 10:09 PM #5
I think the real key is to use either the 'Wireless Zero Configuration Service' or the adapter's software, not both.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!