Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can I connect my laptop to desktop via Lan? Can it be wireless?

(!)

Junior Member with 18 posts.

21-Jul-2005, 08:23 AM #1
Can I connect my laptop to desktop via Lan? Can it be wireless?
Hi,
I recently purchased a new notebook (did not receive it yet.) Its a Dell Inspiron 6000 (Intel Centrino 1.86Ghz)

My question is; Can I connect it to my desktop via Lan?
The notebook should have a wirless lan card in it, right?

If yes, is there a wireless lan card for a desktop? how much does it cost (approx) and does it work? I want to be able to view/transfer data, files, and folders between the 2 copmuters...
Is it efficient? (is it fast or slow or is it just like transfering files on the same computer from one destination to the other?)

If not, can the wirelss lan card in the notebook be connected to a regular lan card in the desktop or do I need to get a non-wireless card for the notebook? How much do these cost? (approx)

Any help is much appreciated...

Thanx
Junior Member with 26 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Jul-2005, 08:49 AM #2
I prefer the wireless life. the cost isn't very much at all check out linksys.com for a wireless router. Most of the laptopscome with a built in wireless card although I would double check to make sure it has one. from there you dsl or cable modem plugs into the wireless router and so does your desk top. Once the wirless connection is set up go onto both cpu's and share the hard drives so you can transfer files.this method is pretty fast. I used this when i work for a engineering company to set up thier network.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

21-Jul-2005, 09:51 AM #3
Yes, you can buy wireless network cards for desktops. I believe it's possible to set up an ad-hoc wireless network between two devices without using a router or access point, but I have no direct experience with this.

If you go with 802.11g, data transfer speeds will be pretty good. It won't be as fast as moving files from one directory to another on the same hard drive.

The only way to connect two computers where one has a wireless network card and the other has a wired network card is to use a wireless router. Then the computer with the wired card plugs directly into one of the wired ports.

21-Jul-2005, 11:44 AM #4
But isnt the router for the internet connection? I do not need to share an internet connection between the 2 pcs...All I need to do is to share the files on the hds.

How much approx do wireless lan cards for desktops cost?

I have a dial-up connection...if there is a need for a router, how much does it cost? Does it mean that I must be connected to the internet to be able to share the files or transfer them from 1 pc to another?

I think, as DoubleHelix said, it should be possible to set up a connection between the 2 pcs without the use of a router...I hope this is the case!!!

21-Jul-2005, 12:37 PM #5
What are the speeds of the card that usually come in a centrino notebook? I was checking some wireless cards and the speed were (most of the time) 54 mbps!! the wired are 100 right??? what about the speeds of a router?

21-Jul-2005, 01:23 PM #6
I searched and read more about the speeds...found cards at 108 mbps (wireless)...

I checked the dell website and clicked on Dell Inspiron 6000...

Quote:
Other Great Inspiron 6000 Components 6 or 9-Cell Lithium Ion Battery
30, 40, 60 or 80GB4 Ultra ATA Hard Drive
Integrated Gigabit5 Ethernet for High-Speed Web Access
Intel® PRO or Dell Wireless capabilities
and as a footnote,
Quote:
5 This term does not connote an actual operating speed of 1 Gb/sec. For high speed transmission, connection to a Gigabit Ethernet server and network infrastructure is required.
Does this mean that the speeds are up to 1 gb??? or what? (Ethernet is also a lan card right??)
Computer Specs
Member with 7,214 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Jul-2005, 01:34 PM #7
Ethernet is either 10/100/1000 wireless can be 11,22,54,108 all of those numbers are theoretical numbers and do not take in environmental settings/distance/way you dangle/and so fourth. Also the big one is wireless isn't duplex while Ethernet is.

Ethernet routers are used to route from an internal LAN to an external WAN solution. Switches would be something you would use for internal solutions.

In the wireless world a wireless router is just a router (like the ethernet one. instead of a switch you would use a wireless access point.

Any internal file transfer using wired vrs wireless the wired will always win (at least this day and age) but remember your external internet speed will not be increased by any of these technologies talked about.

22-Jul-2005, 10:01 AM #8
Hey guys...
Ive been doing a little research and I got to know more stuff about lan and routers but I still have a couple of questions...

First, what is an Acces point? Isnt it like a lan card but it converts wired to wireless?

If I have wireless lan cards, how many computers can I connect together? (unlimited as long as in range?)

What is the difference between the router and the wireless lan card (on desktop)? Arnt they the same but the router enables the sharing of an internet connection while the wireless lan card doesnt?

If I have a router, I can connect my dekstop to it via wired lan card right? and then, it connects wirelessly to the notebook?

They usually come with 4 ports...does this mean that it can be connected to 4 PCs with wired lan ...and how many wireless lan cards can it be connected to? (unlimited as long as in range?) The 5th port is for the internet cable right? What if I have a modem connection and I want to share it? Can I do that? If yes, how? (what do I connect and from where)
And what if I dont want to share any internet...can I leave that port empty? If it is empty, I can still create the network and share the files between the computers???

AS A CONCLUSION (pls correct me if I am mistaken)

1. It is better to get a router rather than an access point or a wirless lan card (for desktop) beacuse I can share an internet connection and can connect up to 4 (depends on router) wired lan cards to it and unlimited wireless (as long as they are in range)
2. If I get a wirelss lan card for my dektop, I can still connect to my notebook but cant share an internet connection. I can connect to unlimited computers with wireless lan as long as in range.
3. If I get an access point, I can connect a wired lan card from my desktop to the wireless lan card in the notebook. (also unlimited if wirelss)

NOW ABOUT THE SPEEDS;
1. If the speed of the lan card (wired) in the desktop is 100mbps and that of the router/access point is 54, then, data will be transfered at 54mbps. Similarly, if the speed of 1 of them is 11 mbvps, all will go at 11.

2. They say that the routers (for ex) have 100 mbps for wired and upto 54 mbps for wireless...lets say the other wireless lan card has a speed of 54. What will be the transfer rate? What about if it was a speed of 11?

2. If the speed 1 of the lancards is 54 mbps (if the other is higher, they still go at this speed right?) can I still play games over lan? Is the speed enough to do so, lets say Couner Strike or Generals...? What about if the speed was 11 mbps?

Thank You very much and thanx for tolerating my igonrance in these matters!!

I really want to make sure everything works before purchasing the equipment...

Thanx
Computer Specs
Member with 7,214 posts.

22-Jul-2005, 11:08 AM #9
Quote:
what is an Acces point? Isnt it like a lan card but it converts wired to wireless?
A Wireless access point is a network device (does get DHCP from somewhere and has its own IP address) that attaches to a wired network and transmists a wireless broadcast signal.

Quote:
If I have wireless lan cards, how many computers can I connect together?
If you just have wireless cards but no wireless access point or wireless router than you can only connect 2 ad-hoc.

Quote:
What is the difference between the router and the wireless lan card (on desktop)? Arnt they the same but the router enables the sharing of an internet connection while the wireless lan card doesnt?
Many differences wireless routers and access points allow multiple connections to one device while wireless cards only allow for the one connection to your computer.

Quote:
They usually come with 4 ports...does this mean that it can be connected to 4 PCs with wired lan ...and how many wireless lan cards can it be connected to? (unlimited as long as in range?)
Yes you can hardwire connect 4 PC's and you can connect multiple Wireless Pc's as you add more wireless PC's to any given access point or router you decrease all wireless devices bandwidth available. The wired portion will still function at their normal speed.

22-Jul-2005, 12:22 PM #10
thank you for your reply...but I still have a couple of questions;.

Quote:
If you just have wireless cards but no wireless access point or wireless router than you can only connect 2 ad-hoc.
That means I can only connect 2 computers to each other, right? And all I can do is access both computers' files on both comptuers.

Quote:

Many differences wireless routers and access points allow multiple connections to one device
Does this mean that using routers/access points, there is 1 main comptuer? What if I have 4 pcs connected (wired) to the router, which one is the main one then?

Do the PCs have to be on so that I can access their files from another computer?

Quote:
Yes you can hardwire connect 4 PC's and you can connect multiple Wireless Pc's as you add more wireless PC's to any given access point or router you decrease all wireless devices bandwidth available. The wired portion will still function at their normal speed.
That means I can connect unlimited wireless (with router)?

What do you mean I decrease bandwidth available? Does it mean that if the speed of the router is 54 mbps and I have 5 pcs connected wirelessly, then the speed is devided by 5...and on the other hand, if I have 4 pcs or 2 pcs connected (wired), they will function at the same speed.

Final questions;
Quote:
The 5th port is for the internet cable right? What if I have a modem connection and I want to share it? Can I do that? If yes, how? (what do I connect and from where)
If it is connected to 2 computers, the speed of the connection (33.6) will be devided by 2? (lets say I have it shared by 2 pcs and I am opening 2 browsers on each pc; is it the same if I am oppening the 4 browsers on the same pc???)

And what if I dont want to share any internet...can I leave that port empty? If it is empty, I can still create the network and share the files between the computers???
Quote:
If the speed of the lan card (wired) in the desktop is 100mbps and that of the router/access point is 54, then, data will be transfered at 54mbps? Similarly, if the speed of 1 of them is 11 mbps, all will go at 11.

2. They say that the routers (for ex) have 100 mbps for wired and upto 54 mbps for wireless...lets say the other wireless lan card has a speed of 54. What will be the transfer rate if between wireless and wired? Will it be 54? If between 2 wired? (100)
2. If the speed 1 of the lancards is 54 mbps (if the other is higher, they still go at this speed right?) can I still play games over wireless lan? Is the speed enough to do so, lets say Counter Strike or Generals...? What about if the speed was 11 mbps?
Computer Specs
Member with 7,214 posts.

22-Jul-2005, 01:10 PM #11
Quote:
That means I can only connect 2 computers to each other, right? And all I can do is access both computers' files on both comptuers.
Correct they will only see each other and you can share files betwen them.

Quote:
Does this mean that using routers/access points, there is 1 main comptuer?
Unless your on a domain and have a server then in any router situation there is NO main computer. the router does all internet reusts to all PC's. Now if you have a file server and a print server as one computer that then becomes your main computer.

Quote:
Do the PCs have to be on so that I can access their files from another computer?
Yes the pc you want to access the files on has to be turned on this is why alot of companies and I personally use a file server. All files are stored on one PC and that PC is left on 24/7 then any PC can connect to it that is on your network.

Quote:
That means I can connect unlimited wireless (with router)?
Unlimited is a strong word you can probably get about 15-20 on one wireless access point before its over staturated with connections but even at its max your oging to notice a slowdown.

Quote:
What do you mean I decrease bandwidth available? Does it mean that if the speed of the router is 54 mbps and I have 5 pcs connected wirelessly, then the speed is devided by 5...and on the other hand, if I have 4 pcs or 2 pcs connected (wired), they will function at the same speed.
The speed is not directly divided by 5 in your first scenario but there will be a good speed decrese if you have 5 wireless devices on one access point/router. The second part is true if you have any PC wired it will perform at the max speed for the wired connection available. There is one cavat to this rule. If your wired PC is the server and 3 people are acessing the wired server and are wired the servers 1 nic will be the bottleneck but it will still be running at full speed just being accessed by 3 other pcs. but if all are just sharing files independantly and PC 1 is talking to PC 2 and PC 3 is talking to PC 4 all will be running full speed seemlessly.

Quote:
The 5th port is for the internet cable right? What if I have a modem connection and I want to share it? Can I do that?
On a router yes there should be a 5th port that says WAN you attach your cablemodem/dsl modem to this and then configure it to get the IP.

Quote:
If it is connected to 2 computers, the speed of the connection (33.6) will be devided by 2? (lets say I have it shared by 2 pcs and I am opening 2 browsers on each pc; is it the same if I am oppening the 4 browsers on the same pc
If your connection is 33.6 then your probably running on a modem and broadband router is not going to be the solution for you.

Quote:
This is then done by some kind of intervention software or some other measures you usually cannot just chose to "turn off" the internet for one specific PC.

Quote:
They say that the routers (for ex) have 100 mbps for wired and upto 54 mbps for wireless...lets say the other wireless lan card has a speed of 54. What will be the transfer rate if between wireless and wired? Will it be 54? If between 2 wired? (100)
the 54 is theoretic speed but your right betwen wireless and wired you can only go as fast as your slowest link

22-Jul-2005, 03:13 PM #12
Thank you very much for your reply...
If I do not want to share an internet connection (5th port), does that mean I can not establish a connection between the computers and share the files? (ie, if I leave the 5th port empty, does the connection work?)

Ya, I know that a router would not be a good sollution for a 33.6k connection but is it possible? I intened to use the router only for sharing the files between the 2 computers, but if sometime I wanted to share the connection, is it possible? (some sort of emergancy where we have to use the 2 pcs for internet!!! lol)

If yes, how do you connect it? Do you use the phone line in the modem and connect it to the 5th port of the router or what?

I know it will be slow but, hypothetically, if I am browsing 2 sites on 1 copmuter and someone is browsing 2 sites on the other, then, it is the same as browsing the 4 sites on either computer?

If, on the other hand, I have a cable internet or even 1 way via sat internet, can I share it on the other compters? Only 1 will be connected right? Does the speed devide (ie if speed is 256 used on 2 therefore. it becomes 128 (again, hypothetically)

If I want to share this, I will need another wireless lan card on each computer I intend to share with, right? Is there a way so that on the other copmuters I want to share the connection with, I can have a wired lan card? (cuz its much much cheaper!!!) (without an access pt though cuz its also expensive!!) Could I then extend wires from the 4 ports on the router...or are those only for imputs??? (cant it be a wire from the router to the lan card of another computer)

Usually, how much is the reception of a router? (is it enough to cover a 3 story bldg?)

Thanx again...

23-Jul-2005, 11:20 AM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabusalman
Thank you very much for your reply...
If I do not want to share an internet connection (5th port), does that mean I can not establish a connection between the computers and share the files? (ie, if I leave the 5th port empty, does the connection work?)
You can still use a router to share files without sharing an internet connection.

Quote:
Ya, I know that a router would not be a good sollution for a 33.6k connection but is it possible? I intened to use the router only for sharing the files between the 2 computers, but if sometime I wanted to share the connection, is it possible? (some sort of emergancy where we have to use the 2 pcs for internet!!! lol)
Someone on this forum has mentioned a router that works with dial-up connections, but I do not know which model. Your selection is likely to be limited.

Quote:
If I want to share this, I will need another wireless lan card on each computer I intend to share with, right?
Each computer only needs one network card.

23-Jul-2005, 03:33 PM #14
thanx...just 1 more question...the 4 ports on the router are only for imputs? Cant they be used for outputs (to connect to computer via wired lan?)
Quote:
If, on the other hand, I have a cable internet or even 1 way via sat internet, can I share it on the other compters? Only 1 will be connected right (logged in to the domain because they dont allow more than 1 simultaneous loggin) Does the speed devide (ie if speed is 256 used on 2 therefore. it becomes 128 (again, hypothetically)
thanx again...

23-Jul-2005, 03:35 PM #15
Your question doesn't make any sense. They're ports, not inputs and outputs. You connect the computers to the router using network cables. Then they can communicate with each other.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!