Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Deny Internet access

(!)

Junior Member with 18 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Aug-2005, 06:16 AM #1
Deny Internet access
Hope someone can help

I need to deny internet access for one of my users and am planning to do this by blocking outbound port 80 for there ip address.

This works very well but unfortunately also stops the automatic updating of any security software including AVG and Microsoft Antispyware.

Is there any way round this or is this just a problem with blocking outbound port 80.

I am using a Netgear DG834G router and the PC is running WIN XP sp2

Thanks in advance

Dominic
Member with 272 posts.

05-Aug-2005, 07:28 AM #2
you may try Content Advisor. here is the tip,

how to restrict internet accessEnabling Content Advisor under Internet Option. 3. Assigns a fake Proxy server under Internet Options. 4. Enable Filtering in the router/firewall if you ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Internet/restrictie0.htm

08-Aug-2005, 11:31 AM #3
Hi Blin

Thanks for your response.

I think using content advisor is going to be the best solution as I need the user to have access to a couple of work related websites.

Is there a way in content advisor to block ALL websites except for a couple I can specify in the approved sites tab??

Have tried a few ways but not getting the result I need

Hope you can help again
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

08-Aug-2005, 01:43 PM #4
A pink slip frequently gets their attention.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,213 posts.

08-Aug-2005, 11:11 PM #5
Open up contant tabe and enable content adivsor. in the first tab put all settings down to 0 for language, nudity, sex and violence. Then go to general and make sure the users can see sites with no ratings is DISABLED and has no check. Then go to approved sites and type in the URLS that he is allowsed to go to and hit always and it should appear below that.

This always works for me.

09-Aug-2005, 08:19 AM #6
Hi StumpedTechy

I had already tried what you suggested but on testing these settings found that a few sites slipped through the net. yahoo.com and msn.com got past the content advisor even though the only approved site in my list was microsoft.com.

Although I could just add these to the list of unapproved sites it makes me think what other sites could slip past content advisor?

Is there a way of banning all sites except the approved ones with a wildcard setting like *.*

Hope you can help further

Thanks
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!