Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Why do I have to reboot to connect to DSL

(!)

Member with 40 posts.

27-Aug-2005, 01:35 PM #1
Why do I have to reboot to connect to DSL
I recently did a clean install of XP Home. My Bellsouth DSL service is up and running just fine, but if I'm not online for an hour or so, I'm unable to reconnect to the internet. I have to restart Windows to get back on.

I have done full system scans with AVG anitvirus, Ad-Aware, and Spybot. No spyware or viruses found. I'm not running the Bellsouth Connection Manager software because it causes more problems than it solves. Before my XP install, I had been running without Bellsouth's software for two years with no problem (under Windows ME). I have no problem with my service now, except for having to reboot after a period of inactivity.

I had been advised by another Bellsouth user to set my modem (an ethernet, Westell Wirespeed), to "always on." I tried this, but I still loose the connection. Any ideas?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

27-Aug-2005, 01:45 PM #2
Perhaps you should stick a router in the middle.

Nothing comes to mine for you to check, it's odd that you'd have to reboot.

The next time it's disconnected, try this:

Open a command prompt and type:

IPCONFIG /RELEASE

IPCONFIG /RENEW

See if that brings it back to life.
Member with 40 posts.

27-Aug-2005, 02:19 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWill

The next time it's disconnected, try this:

IPCONFIG /RELEASE

IPCONFIG /RENEW

Thanks, I'll try that. Now I just have to wait for it to disconnect.
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

Experience: Advanced
27-Aug-2005, 02:21 PM #4
I'm not that familiar with DSL, but could it possibly have anything to do with incoming calls?

If that is a stupid question, please disregard this post
Member with 40 posts.

28-Aug-2005, 09:59 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWill

IPCONFIG /RELEASE

IPCONFIG /RENEW

Well I had the opportunity to try this, and had strange results. I was unable to connect to the internet with Internet Explorer or Outlook Express. When I used IPCONFIG, Zone Alarm popped up to grant or deny access. I granted access and the IPCONFIG reported all 0.0's for DNS and IP. Then IPCONFIG/RENEW reported actual numbers. But, I still couldn't connect with IE or OE. I had to restart Windows again.

So IPCONFIG was able to go online, but none of my applications could.
Member with 22,468 posts.

28-Aug-2005, 11:03 AM #6
Can you post the IP information. That would include the IP address, Subnet Mask, Gateway and DNS IP addresses.

Some basic PING tests would be:

Can you ping the IP address of your router
Can you ping an external site by IP address ( e.g. ping 199.181.164.1 )
Can you ping an external site by name ( e.g. ping www.yahoo.com )

Also are you directly connected to the modem or using a router. If directly connected, are you using a USB or Ethernet connection to the modem.

===

From someone else's previous post, DSL stands for "Digital Subscriber Line". It is one of the more common ways people are using to get high speed Internet access. The other would be Cable. This is assuming most folks don't use T1's etc.
Computer Specs
Member with 21,189 posts.

Experience: Disenfranchised American
28-Aug-2005, 12:17 PM #7
Is this connections using ethernet or USB? NIC's can go bad and USB is pretty much unreliable.
Member with 109 posts.

28-Aug-2005, 03:46 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockn
USB is pretty much unreliable.
not sure about that.. back 2 year ago.. when i had my dsl modem, it was connected with USB... and was reliable... till i change my network configuration to use a router instead of a HUB..
Member with 40 posts.

29-Aug-2005, 09:06 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cerelli

Can you ping the IP address of your router
Can you ping an external site by IP address ( e.g. ping 199.181.164.1 )
Can you ping an external site by name ( e.g. ping www.yahoo.com )

Also are you directly connected to the modem or using a router. If directly connected, are you using a USB or Ethernet connection to the modem.
I am able to ping all things you mentioned, when I'm up and running, I'll have to try it the next time I loose connection. I appologize for long delays in my responses, I have to wait to loose my connection to try out everyone's suggestions. Wow, I'm actually complaining about being connected.

I am not using a router, I'm going straight to the modem through Ethernet.
Member with 205 posts.

Experience: I'm getting there!!!
29-Aug-2005, 09:25 AM #10
I had a similar problem a while back when using a router. If I left the computer idle for a while I would have to restart to connect again.

What I had to do was uninstall Zone Alarm b/c it was conflicting with my router. After that it worked fine, and since the router is a hardware firewall I don't regret getting rid of zone alarm, plus I still the Windows firewall.
Member with 40 posts.

29-Aug-2005, 09:42 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocShock
I had a similar problem a while back when using a router. If I left the computer idle for a while I would have to restart to connect again.

What I had to do was uninstall Zone Alarm b/c it was conflicting with my router. After that it worked fine, and since the router is a hardware firewall I don't regret getting rid of zone alarm, plus I still the Windows firewall.
Hoo boy, I've been waiting for someone to suggest Zone Alarm might be the culprit. One of the conflicts with Bellsouth's Connection Manager software was a conflict with Zone Alarm. I really like Zone Alarm but you've had good protection with XP's firewall? I think I'll try running without Zone Alarm for a while and see what happens. Makes me nervous, though.

By the way, in regards to your sig... Val Kilmer rules! "Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked on your grave."
Member with 205 posts.

29-Aug-2005, 02:09 PM #12
I've tested my ports on Sheilds up and all are invisible, (except one, but it's closed) so I'm hoping the router's hardware firewall combined w/ XP's software is doing the trick.

I like Zone Alarm as well, but it just got to be too much of a pain restarting (sometimes 2 to 3 times) to connect.
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Sep-2005, 01:49 PM #13
Thanks Guys! I was experiencing the same problem and going to Verizon's DSL website offered no solutions. Then I did a Google search and didn't find this specific problem until page 2 of the search. Followed Doc's advice and everything seems cool again. So my router's firewall and Microsoft's should be enough protection?
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

07-Sep-2005, 02:12 PM #14
Hi and welcome.

I too, a long time ago, uninstalled ZA as it slowed my system down to a crawl. I use XP firewall along with the router and everything is fine.

NOW YOU MUST have an anti virus program running too. And ALWAYS practice safe surfing.
Member with 205 posts.

09-Sep-2005, 03:44 PM #15
I've been fine w/ MS firewall and my router - all ports are invisible or closed.

Go to shields up and check your system if your curious.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!