Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Stuck on "acquiring network address"

(!)

Junior Member with 13 posts.

Experience: Beginner
10-Sep-2005, 06:12 PM #1
Exclamation Stuck on "acquiring network address"
I am running a Dell Inspiron 700M with Windows XP. I have been connected to my apartment's internet through a LAN cable for about a month with no problems. Yesterday I left my computer for about 10 minutes, and came back to find that it was disconnected. I tried disabling and reenabling the icon in network connections, and also tried restarting. I've also run AdAware, Spybot, and HijackThis, and come up with nothing out of the ordinary. Basically, when I enable it, it goes to "acquiring network address," and then gets stuck there for a couple minutes. Finally, it switches to "limited or no connectivity" with an error triangle icon. I've tried plugging my laptop in to my roommates' jacks, and they work fine. Unfortunately, none of them have laptops, so I can't try plugging them into my jack. But I've concluded that the problem seems to be with my computer.

I've done some Google searches, and from those results, I've tried disabling TCP-IP (even though I didn't have two TCP-IPs, I thought it was still worth a try; it didn't work though, so I put it back), using Winsockxpfix, using Dell's Driver Reset Tool, etc. I found this post here <http://forums.techguy.org/history/t-395689.html> which seems to be the same problem, but even though I went to the link that was given, I couldn't really get a clear idea of what I was supposed to do to fix it (I thought that Winsockxpfix would do it, but it didn't).

Also, I CAN currently access the internet through a wireless connection; however, it's from the cafe next door, so the connection isn't very good.

Thank you in advance for ANY help that you can provide!

-Laura

10-Sep-2005, 06:16 PM #2
I've also tried choosing "repair," but then it gets stuck on "renewing your IP address," and finally tells me that the network did not assign a network address to the computer. Also, I'm not using a router, and all my apartment-mates have working internet.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 63,956 posts.

10-Sep-2005, 06:49 PM #3
"I've tried plugging my laptop in to my roommates' jacks, and they work fine."

Laura, does you laptop work with the roommates' jacks, or still can't get IP address?

Pending your answer to the above, it could be your computer, your cable, or the apartment's jack that you use. Have you eliminated your cable as a suspect, either by having a roommate use it or by borrowing a roommate's cable?
Terry
Computer Specs

10-Sep-2005, 06:53 PM #4
Something simple to try: go into Device Manager and uninstall your ethernet adaptor; restart, reinstall.

10-Sep-2005, 08:40 PM #5
Sorry - what I meant to say was, I've tried plugging in to my roommates' jacks using their cables, and that doesn't work (still can't get IP address). However, their jacks and cables work with their computers.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling - no dice. However, in Network Connections, it's now titled "Local Area Connection 2." There is no original Local Area Connection. Could that mean that the original exists somewhere (but doesn't show up) and is conflicting?
Computer Specs

10-Sep-2005, 09:09 PM #6
The '2' in "Local Area Connection 2" is of no consequence; it's really just counting the number of times you reinstalled. The original no longer exists. You can rename this one to anything you want to.

You have convinced me that you are correct about the problem being with your computer, but I have no good ideas. Some other things I would check or try ...

Right click on the connection - Properties; make sure Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) is listed and checked.

Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services; make sure TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper and DHCP Client services are started.

Device Manager - right click on the ethernet adaptor - Properties - Advanced tab; make sure 'Link Speed & Duplex' is auto-detect (or the correct value for your network). From the General tab try the "Troubleshoot" (almost never works, but once in a while ...).

Start - Run - cmd - OK; in the command window type ping 127.0.0.1
This is a loopback test; if you don't get four responses the adaptor is probably bad and you'll need to get a new one. Or, if warranty, convince them to replace.
Computer Specs

10-Sep-2005, 09:50 PM #7
One other dumb thought--I have been assuming that you are supposed to "obtain IP address auto. ..."; if in fact you were assigned a static IP address, then somehow your TCP/IP Properties got messed up and you need to reset them to whatever they are supposed to be. Just trying to cover all the bases.

11-Sep-2005, 12:43 AM #8
Tried all those things. Still no luck. I did get 4 responses from the loopback test.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

11-Sep-2005, 02:08 PM #9
TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset [log_file_name]

Note: the log_file_name needs to be specified, e.g. netsh int ip reset reset.log

11-Sep-2005, 05:57 PM #10
I tried that, and restarted, and it still didn't work.
Member with 36 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Sep-2005, 07:00 PM #11
Ok lets try to isolate the problem here.

First make sure you hooked up.

open up a command prompt again.

type in ipconfig and see what it gives you, put it in here and we can see what you got so far.

11-Sep-2005, 11:00 PM #12
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Autoconfiguration IP Address . . . : 169.254.65.115
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . . . :
Member with 43 posts.

12-Sep-2005, 05:11 AM #13
hai

how have u been getting ip address? static or through DHCP?

U had given follwing :

if u assinged this ip statically it may be in range of DHCP server.so u'r aggined ip may be assigned to some other system. so u'r getting "acquiring network address" message

so try change this ip address.

Muthuvel.K
Coimbatore .India
Member with 43 posts.

12-Sep-2005, 05:12 AM #14
how have u been getting ip address? static or through DHCP?

U had given follwing :

if u assinged this ip statically it may be in range of DHCP server.so u'r aggined ip may be assigned to some other system. so u'r getting "acquiring network address" message

so try change this ip address.

Muthuvel.K
Coimbatore .India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilacdancer
I am running a Dell Inspiron 700M with Windows XP. I have been connected to my apartment's internet through a LAN cable for about a month with no problems. Yesterday I left my computer for about 10 minutes, and came back to find that it was disconnected. I tried disabling and reenabling the icon in network connections, and also tried restarting. I've also run AdAware, Spybot, and HijackThis, and come up with nothing out of the ordinary. Basically, when I enable it, it goes to "acquiring network address," and then gets stuck there for a couple minutes. Finally, it switches to "limited or no connectivity" with an error triangle icon. I've tried plugging my laptop in to my roommates' jacks, and they work fine. Unfortunately, none of them have laptops, so I can't try plugging them into my jack. But I've concluded that the problem seems to be with my computer.

I've done some Google searches, and from those results, I've tried disabling TCP-IP (even though I didn't have two TCP-IPs, I thought it was still worth a
try; it didn't work though, so I put it back), using Winsockxpfix, using Dell's Driver Reset Tool, etc. I found this post here <http://forums.techguy.org/history/t-395689.html> which seems to be the same problem, but even though I went to the link that was given, I couldn't really get a clear idea of what I was supposed to do to fix it (I thought that Winsockxpfix would do it, but it didn't).

Also, I CAN currently access the internet through a wireless connection; however, it's from the cafe next door, so the connection isn't very good.

Thank you in advance for ANY help that you can provide!

-Laura

12-Sep-2005, 08:40 AM #15
I don't know the difference between static vs DHCP. What do I need to do to change it?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!