Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

What is Realtek and ALCMTR.EXE ???

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

24-Sep-2005, 01:33 AM #1
What is Realtek and ALCMTR.EXE ???
I have just used pcpitstop to check out my computer and it showed that ALCMTR.EXE was possible spyware. I don't know what that is. I am on a wireless network using a router, as I share a cable connection with a computer upstairs. I use Windows XP and have a fairly new HP desktop.

Can anyone help please? Thanks.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,826 posts.

Experience: Hmmm, what's this button
24-Sep-2005, 02:35 AM #2
ALCMTR.EXE is a process installed alongside RealTek AC97 audio hardware and provides a monitoring service. This program is non-essential process to the running of the system, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

That's the first entry I got under a google search. http://www.liutilities.com/products/...ibrary/ALCMTR/
Senior Member with 516 posts.

24-Sep-2005, 03:00 AM #3
From castlecops.com:

Realtek AC97 Audio - Event Monitor. "Sypware" file used surreptitiously monitor one's actions. It is not a sinister one, like remote control programs, but it is being used by Realtek to gather data about customers.

They give it an "X" rating.

"X" - Definitely not required - typically viruses, spyware, adware and "resource hogs"

So that is probably why pcpitstop considers it "possible" spyware.

If it were me, I would disable it. In fact, I have disabled it long ago. If you click Start > Run , and then type "msconfig" in the box (without the quotes), and then hit "OK", then click on the "Startup" tab, then scroll down the list untill you see ALCMTR.EXE, Realtek, or Tkbell somewhere, you can uncheck the box(es) to the left of them, make sure "selective startup" is checked as well, and then click "OK". That should prevent it/them from running on your machine.

Then, if you want to be sure that your system is clean, you can post a Hijackthis log in the "Security" forum for anylasis. For instructions on how to do this, you can see this page:
http://forums.techguy.org/showthread...readid=208517&
Scroll down to where you see "How to install & use Hijackthis".

If you're not sure what spyware is, you might want to read that whole thread. Lots of great information.

Hope this helps.

kdd9

Last edited by kdd9; 24-Sep-2005 at 03:18 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 55,821 posts.

24-Sep-2005, 07:24 AM #4
From WinPatrol site.

AC97 Audio Event Monitor ALCMTR.EXE

Alcmtr.exe is the Realtek AC97 Audio Event Monitor. You'll find the latest drivers and other software for your sound card at http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97-2.aspx. This program is known to gather data about your system and transmit it back to RealTek. Users report having removed this file successfully. If you'd like to try doing so, we'd recommend using WinPatrol. Go to your Startup Programs and disable the file there. Next, make sure your audio is working properly. If so, it can be removed. If not, it can be re-enabled.

24-Sep-2005, 01:30 PM #5
That sounds like a very good suggestion. And you could bookmark the link in hewee's post, use it to check for updates now and then and download them yourself when applicable.
Junior Member with 3 posts.

25-Sep-2005, 02:48 PM #6
I tried going to msconfig but there was no realtek or other words that you mentioned in the start up tab. Is there anything else I can do?

25-Sep-2005, 03:43 PM #7
You could check to see if it is running first. HijackThis will tell you if it is or not. You would need to follow the instructions in post #3 of this thread and post a HijackThis log to the "Security" forum with the same description of your situation as you stated in post #1. It's no major problem if it is, but you do have the option of disabling it. Also, the log reviewer(s) may find other things in the HJT log that may help you clean things up a bit if necessary. That is what I would do if I were you. Then you would have peace of mind afterward. I'd say it's really more of a security issue than a networking issue. Hope this helps.

kdd9
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!