Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: BT Voyager 105 not connecting

(!)

Member with 1,269 posts.

Experience: Techie
03-Oct-2005, 04:53 PM #1
Solved: BT Voyager 105 not connecting
Reformatted a pc today & loaded xp home sp2
Loaded aol and bt voyager 105 modem
Got no internet access
The connection arrows on the task bar are grey and only one light was on on the modem
The modem was displayed and working correctly in device manager
I tried installing & uninstalling with no luck

Ive come across this problem a few times before and never been able to fix it. (sometimes the modems just seem to stop working for no apparent reason)
Even the helpful (not) aol techies cannot solve the problem and normally send a new modem (thet never works either).
The only way I have found to fix this problem is to buy a modem and not use the one supplied.
Is this because the bt voyager modems cannot transmit a strong signal or receive a weak one.
If not, can someone give me any ideas of how to overcome this problem when I see it again.
Trusted Advisor with 15,999 posts.

03-Oct-2005, 05:04 PM #2
Hi..While in Device Manager did you update drivers for modem?
www.voyager.bt.com/usb105/prodinfo.htm
Member with 1,269 posts.

03-Oct-2005, 05:13 PM #3
No, just checked that modem was recognised and drivers were loaded.
tried uninstalling/reinstalling with no luck and if there were any new drivers, I couldnt download them anyway.
This was a clean install so there should not have been a problem with the loaded drivers
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,871 posts.

03-Oct-2005, 05:18 PM #4
I see you have a direct connection to the modem. I'm assuming that you are getting an ip address from BT so are you getting the correct ip? Go to Start > Run > type cmd. Then type IPCONFIG /ALL. See if DHCP is enabled and if so, what is your IP address. If it's 168.254.x.x (where x is a random number) then you are not getting an IP address.
Member with 1,269 posts.

03-Oct-2005, 05:26 PM #5
Im not near the pc in question but if the ip address is wrong, which I guess it may be, due to no connection, what would the answer be
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.

03-Oct-2005, 05:27 PM #6
Power cycle the modem. If you still don't get it, ask your ISP why you are not getting an IP address... unless a firewall is blocking the signal.
Member with 1,269 posts.

03-Oct-2005, 05:29 PM #7
tried power cycling the modem. tried with windows firewall off.
nothing
Member with 1,269 posts.

03-Oct-2005, 05:30 PM #8
AOL are clueless!!
Member with 1,269 posts.

04-Oct-2005, 04:45 PM #9
<bump>

04-Oct-2005, 04:51 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidus4Yuna
I see you have a direct connection to the modem. I'm assuming that you are getting an ip address from BT so are you getting the correct ip? Go to Start > Run > type cmd. Then type IPCONFIG /ALL. See if DHCP is enabled and if so, what is your IP address. If it's 168.254.x.x (where x is a random number) then you are not getting an IP address.
What was the result of this? a 168.254 number or a different one, maybe 192.168.x.x ?
Member with 1,269 posts.

04-Oct-2005, 05:20 PM #11
Ive not seen this particular pc since last week, but Ill see it again tomorrow and be expected to sort the prob out, so im looking for answers or ideas, because the answers I can give to any questions are very limited.

I bumped the topic for any other ideas or explainations before I change the modem.

What would be your advice if I was getting an ip address, and what would it be if I wasnt. Bearing in mind that Ive seen this prob before, and aol are clueless as to what the prob was.(as I am) They probably asked me what ip address was displayed in ipconfig and couldnt do anything about it, so just sent a new modem. (which again didnt work).
Is there a known (or unknown) conflict between windows xp sp2 and bt voyager 105 modems and aol?

04-Oct-2005, 07:34 PM #12
If the modem is directly connected...

...and you are meant to recieve an IP address from a DHCP server and get 168.254.x.x
then ethier the DHCP server is down or the router is not set to pick up the IP address automatically

...and you are meant to enter a static IP address
Double check to make sure you have the correct IP address, subnet mask, gateway and dns server information entered.

If the modem is connected to a router and your PC is getting the correct IP address from the router (default is 192.168.0.x) ...

...and you are meant to recieve an IP address from the ISP DHCP server and get 168.254.x.x on the WAN port
then ethier the DHCP server is down or the machine is not set to pick up the IP address automatically

Double check to make sure you have the correct IP address, subnet mask, gateway and dns server information entered.

If the modem is connected to a router
...and you are meant to recieve an IP address from the router's DHCP and get 168.254.x.x
then ethier the router is down or the machine is not set to pick up the IP address automatically

Double check to make sure you have the correct IP address, subnet mask, gateway and dns server information entered in. The default gateway should be the router's IP address (defaulted to 192.168.0.1)

Failing all this, then the fault should be with the modem, router, NIC or the cabling.
Member with 1,269 posts.

05-Oct-2005, 03:31 AM #13
Thanks for the reply, the modem is connected directly to the computer, and the pc should be set to pick up an address from the dhcp server. I'll double check all the settings and check whether or not it is receiving an address.
If all is set correctly, then this will be why aol send out a new modem when they come across this prob, but then the question to ask is why the new modem never works, and has to be replaced with a different model.
I'll post back my results.

05-Oct-2005, 10:11 AM #14
If the new modem shows the same symptoms, then I would look at the NIC or a computer setting somewhere. If you have a spare NIC, I would try that too.
Member with 1,269 posts.

05-Oct-2005, 11:52 AM #15
no nic its a usb modem
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!