Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/ICS service

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: so so
12-Oct-2005, 01:48 AM #1
Solved: Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/ICS service
im kind of new at trying to figure things out like this but i am some what formilar with computers but this is what i get:
When I go to the "Wireless Network Connection 2" Properties, and click on the "Advanced" tab then click on Windows Firewall "Settings" button, I get a message that says: "Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service?" I click "Yes." Then I get a message that "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Services (ICS) service." I tried doing the Network Setup Wizard, and everything appears fine then.

i dont really have any clue if i can be fixed but im hoping that someone can help me please!!!
surveyranger surveyranger is offline surveyranger has a Profile Picture
Member with 249 posts.

Experience: learning more everyday
12-Oct-2005, 02:33 AM #2
goto 'administrative tools' in the control panel. click 'services', then scroll down to 'Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)'. what does it say to the right of it?
now double-click it. a window should pop up with different tabs. if you are not sure what the settings are, then don't change any and ask first. it should say it's startup type= automatic and service type=started. also, look under the dependencies tab for the dependent services and make sure they're started as well. also, under the recovery tab, change the failure options to 'restart the service'

hope that helps ya
Senior Member with 296 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Oct-2005, 03:24 AM #3
Try this:

Start => Run => Type netsh winsock reset then click ok. Restart your computer then check windows firewall again.

13-Oct-2005, 12:06 AM #4
to surveyranger
well everything worked all the way to start up type and then the second one did not read start it read stopped, so i click start and it didnt work but heres what it gave me. "could not start the windows firewall/internet connection sharing (ICS) service on local computer. error 10047: an address incompatible with the requested protocol was used."

13-Oct-2005, 12:23 AM #5
to paladin-x
urs worked thanks a lot ive had this problem for some time now thanks
surveyranger surveyranger is offline surveyranger has a Profile Picture
Member with 249 posts.

Experience: learning more everyday
13-Oct-2005, 10:54 AM #6
good to hear ya got it solved.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

28-Oct-2005, 07:45 PM #7
Paladin..you are a genius..it worked for me too...after I spent 4 hours with DellTech Support...

Experience: Intermediate
08-Aug-2007, 10:02 AM #8
Still Need Help!
I have tried all of the suggestions listed but still cannot get the windows firewall either to work or disable...

Basicly, The firewall does not appear to be active but is trying and as a result is blocking some of my programs form accessing... Mainly my MMORPG's.

I keep getting the message "Windows Cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) Service"

I have no other firewalls installed at this time... I hav heard you can delete a registry entry to force a reconfiguration... Any help?

Experience: Intermediate
08-Aug-2007, 10:40 AM #9
DO'H! Maybe this will help!
I forgot one thing...

Following the advice here, I had this error code when I tried to start the firewall... "Error Code: 1058"

Does this give anyone any clues as to what I can do to solve the problem?
Junior Member with 1 posts.

19-Sep-2007, 05:06 PM #10
Thumbs down Windows ICS Can not start
I tried all suggestions but am still getting the same error. Any other suggestions?
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Sep-2007, 08:02 AM #11
After being bothered for 6 hours with this problem I kept trying. And this is what I came out with first I tried following the direction posted here:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sharedaccess.htm .

This of course still landed me with a new error message this time for MRPAPI.dll. So I downloaded a new DLL from here:

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dl...s.shtml?mprapi .

After placing that DLL into the system32 folder I reran the command:

Start > Run > CMD /K NETSH FIREWALL RESET .

After doing so this time the system displayed a message for me to insert my "Windows XP Service Pack 2" cdrom (no problem since I had it readily available). After the cdrom had loaded I pressed ok on the message, and shortly after the command prompt read "OK" and the proccess was complete. I was then able to succesfully start Windows Firewall.
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Beginner
30-Dec-2007, 09:41 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnonit View Post
After being bothered for 6 hours with this problem I kept trying. And this is what I came out with first I tried following the direction posted here:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sharedaccess.htm .

This of course still landed me with a new error message this time for MRPAPI.dll. So I downloaded a new DLL from here:

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dl...s.shtml?mprapi .

After placing that DLL into the system32 folder I reran the command:

Start > Run > CMD /K NETSH FIREWALL RESET .

After doing so this time the system displayed a message for me to insert my "Windows XP Service Pack 2" cdrom (no problem since I had it readily available). After the cdrom had loaded I pressed ok on the message, and shortly after the command prompt read "OK" and the proccess was complete. I was then able to succesfully start Windows Firewall.
yep, I have the same trouble, I will follow what you did and see what happens. I will let you know. thanks terp

31-Dec-2007, 10:06 AM #13
well I tried everything, even reinstalled SP2, still can't open firewall. I will try a clean install and see if that works. Will let you know what happens. thanks terp
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

31-Dec-2007, 10:24 AM #14
If a clean install doesn't do it, that's a real problem!

31-Dec-2007, 11:45 AM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWill View Post
If a clean install doesn't do it, that's a real problem!
I keep getting error 2001 invalid driver when I go into services to start. I can't find any drivers for this, you happen to know where I can get driver? thanks terp

In safe mode I get error 1068 dependency service failed to start. any ideas? May go for clean install Wed.

Last edited by recliner; 31-Dec-2007 at 01:48 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!