Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

More than one modem?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 142 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Oct-2005, 12:04 PM #1
More than one modem?
Is it possible to have 2 modems running at the same time on the same line? I have a wireless network but my house has lots of rooms so the connection is slow away from the router. I want to connect another modem into the phone line in my lounge so I can plug the rj45 cable into my laptop so that my wife can use it . Any help would be great. Thanks.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,446 posts.

14-Oct-2005, 01:25 PM #2
Regular dial-up: no, the second modem would not get a dial tone.

DSL: some people say no; I think it depends on the ISP; call them--you probably want to know how much it will cost if it is possible.
Junior Member with 22 posts.

24-Oct-2005, 04:58 AM #3
donno
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

24-Oct-2005, 07:49 PM #4
The short answer is no. Either DSL or standard analog modems only run one to a phone line. You can connect two cable modems to a common cable, but you'll obviously have to have two cable Internet accounts at the ISP. I think I'd just run a wire to the other end of the house and have a wireless repeater, much easier. FWIW, that's how I rigged mine, this house is 90 feet long and 5000 sq/ft, and one wireless router at one end didn't get the job one.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!