Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: cannot see PCs in same workgroup

(!)

Member with 31 posts.

10-Nov-2005, 04:49 PM #1
Solved: cannot see PCs in same workgroup
I have a Win 2003 server and an XP client. Both are on the network, both have IP addresses. Both are in the same workgroup. The necessary folder on the client is shared (the hand under the folder confirms this). I am trying to deploy software on the client using the server; this has worked before from the same server to a different client. This time when I try, I am not seeing the client, in fact, I should be seeing about 200 of my clients and I don't see them. I do see (from the server) other PCs in the workgroup, just not the PCs I am looking for. I have tried typing: \\computername\pathtofolder\executible and \\ipofclient\pathtofolder\executible. Both result in a message that the name is incorrect.

Does anyone have a suggestion?
Senior Member with 591 posts.

Experience: *pounds chest* "Me know more than you" ;)
10-Nov-2005, 04:57 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by awil11
I have a Win 2003 server and an XP client. Both are on the network, both have IP addresses. Both are in the same workgroup. The necessary folder on the client is shared (the hand under the folder confirms this). I am trying to deploy software on the client using the server; this has worked before from the same server to a different client. This time when I try, I am not seeing the client, in fact, I should be seeing about 200 of my clients and I don't see them. I do see (from the server) other PCs in the workgroup, just not the PCs I am looking for. I have tried typing: \\computername\pathtofolder\executible and \\ipofclient\pathtofolder\executible. Both result in a message that the name is incorrect.

workgroup and not domain? that seems unusual for a network with 200+ clients.
can you ping the ip's from client to server and vice versa?
are both pc's on the same subnet? same gateway?
do an 'ipconfig /all' to find out.
Senior Member with 1,818 posts.

Experience: IT Pro since 1978
10-Nov-2005, 05:02 PM #3
Are you sure that the different machines are all on the same physically inter-connected LAN?

If so are they all in the same IP subnet? I would be surprised if they all are given that there are 200 or so of them.

Can you ping the remote address of the PC you wish to browse to? If you can, but still can't browse to it, check that the machine has "enable netBIOS over TCP/IP" ticked in advanced TCP/IP settings.
Member with 31 posts.

10-Nov-2005, 05:59 PM #4
Yes, I can ping the server from the client and vice versa by address and name. I am looking for the setting to enable netBIOS over TCP/IP and I do not see it. The PCs are not on the same subnet because the third octet of the addresses is different. Can you tell me where to install that protocol (if it will work going to different subnets)?

Thanks
Member with 31 posts.

10-Nov-2005, 06:45 PM #5
I enabled netBIOS over TCP/IP, but still, the client and server cannot see each other when doing a search.
Senior Member with 1,818 posts.

Experience: IT Pro since 1978
10-Nov-2005, 07:09 PM #6
The PCs need to be in the same subnet. You will need to change the subnet mask so that they are in the same subnet and also adjust the IP address so that they are compatible as well.
Computer Specs
Member with 109 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Nov-2005, 07:31 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by awil11
I have tried typing: \\computername\pathtofolder\executible and \\ipofclient\pathtofolder\executible. Both result in a message that the name is incorrect.

"Executable"?
Member with 22,468 posts.

10-Nov-2005, 07:32 PM #8
If you can ping by IP and Name you at least have that much going for you.

At this point it looks like what isn't happening is that you at least can't browse.

Is the computer XP Pro or XP Home?
What directory is being shared?
Is the problem just between this computer and the server (do the other computers on the network see it a vice versa)?
Have you tried manually mapping a drive to the shared directory rather than trying to run a program?
Member with 31 posts.

11-Nov-2005, 10:21 AM #9
I have XP Pro on all clients. I think the problem is different subnets, however, we use DHCP to assign ip addresses, so I don't get to pick the subnet or ip address. Surely there must be away for computers in the same workgroup but different subnets to see each other.

When I try to map a drive to the client's shared folder, I get "The drive could not be mapped because no network was found". However, the network is found. The server can access many computers, just not the client I am trying to get it to see.

The directory being shared is in C:\Program Files\Faronics\Deep Freeze, although I have tried with others as well.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

11-Nov-2005, 10:41 AM #10
Can you give some more details for why the computers are not in the same subnet with the third octet being different? It sure complicates things.
Member with 31 posts.

11-Nov-2005, 01:08 PM #11
We have about 15,000 PCs, so DHCP is used rather than static IP addresses. The clients I oversee are in several different buildings, so they are connected to different routers, etc.

The software I am trying to deploy remotely is Deep Freeze and I am working on an image that would contain the seed for Deep Freeze so that I could deploy it after reimaging the PCs. I have also tried setting up the Deep Freeze client on the master image so that it would be imagable, but I have not been successful in that either. I am not picky which method I use, I just need the PCs to run Deep Freeze after being imaged some way.

11-Nov-2005, 01:15 PM #12
With that many computers, isn't there an IT department you can contact?
Member with 31 posts.

11-Nov-2005, 01:23 PM #13
I am the IT person responsible for these PCs. My predecessor set this up and was able to create images with this working, but he is not available for me to ask.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 64,000 posts.

11-Nov-2005, 04:55 PM #14
"The PCs are not on the same subnet because the third octet of the addresses is different."

This is true if the Mask is 255.255.255.0. What is the IP and mask on the server and the IP and mask on the problem computer? Is the Win 2003 server also the Dhcp server for the entire set of computers?

Are you able to see and manipulate another computer that is a client of the same router as the problem computer? If so, do their ipconfigs differ by more than just IP address? And, does one use Simple File Sharing and the other one not?

11-Nov-2005, 05:20 PM #15
If the third octet is different, you might try changing the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 (if it isn't already).

Can you post the IP information the computers are using, whether there is a WINS server involved etc. Any information regarding how your large network is configured will be helpful in finding you a solution
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!