Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Router keeps losing connection to cable modem

(!)

Junior Member with 21 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Dec-2005, 08:16 PM #1
Router keeps losing connection to cable modem
About every 1-2 weeks my router loses the connection to the internet via cable modem. This has happened with 2 different cable modems (Netgear CM212 and Motorola Surfboard 5100) and also with 2 different routers (Netgear 614 and D-Link DI-524). When this happens the thing that usually fixes it is unplugging the router for several minutes and then plugging it back in again. I have Windows XP set to automatically detect the internet connection, and the router is set to use DHCP. Sometimes I also have to bypass the router and then put it back (so this could be partially a Windows problem?). Is there any way I can configure the router so it doesn't keep losing the internet connection? I have Comcast cable modem service.

Thank you.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

03-Dec-2005, 08:35 PM #2
If the router loses the connection to the cable modem, there's something wrong. I truthfully don't know how to make the router periodically disconnect.

When you are "disconnected", can your machine still access the router's configuration pages? Are you really sure you're describing the problem correctly?
Member with 56,002 posts.

03-Dec-2005, 08:35 PM #3
I was having the same trouble with comcast for a couple months and if I hit the reset on the router it would be ok. I told them about it many times and the one day the trouble went away.
Also with Zone Alarm I have my network set to trusted.

03-Dec-2005, 09:12 PM #4
When router reset doesn't work
Sometimes a simple router reset doesn't work. Today I saw a suggestion to run winipcfg and enter "release all" and then "renew all". Do you think that would fix the Windows side of it?

Thanks

03-Dec-2005, 11:50 PM #5
Reply to JohnWill
>>If the router loses the connection to the cable modem, there's something wrong. I truthfully don't know how to make the router periodically disconnect.

When you are "disconnected", can your machine still access the router's configuration pages? Are you really sure you're describing the problem correctly?<<

When I am "disconnected" I can still access the router by logging in to it, but until I reset or unplug and replug it, I don't get my internet connection back. Sometimes resetting the router isn't enough and I have to reset the cable modem or restart Windows XP also.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

04-Dec-2005, 02:03 PM #6
I'd first connect directly to the cable modem and see if you see the same issue. Since you've tried two routers, my guess is that you have a problem with either the broadband modem, or your ISP.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!