Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Internet connection repeatedly lost

(!)

Member with 109 posts.

20-Dec-2005, 03:58 PM #1
Solved: Internet connection repeatedly lost
When connected to the internet at regular time intervals I get disconnected and see the following message on my screen:

"Network protocol connection results.
One or more requested network protocols did not connect successfully. TCP/IP CP connected successfully. IPX/SPX or compatible CP reported error 733: A connection to the remote computer could not be completed. You might need to adjust the protocols on this computer. Press accept to use the connection as is, or hang up to disconnect."

When I click the 'Accept' button I am able to reconnect to the internet, but after a couple of hour the same story goes on...

Could you please help???????
Senior Member with 644 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Dec-2005, 04:36 PM #2
How are you accessing the internet? Dial-up, Cable/DSL, Home Network/Router? Operating System?

It looks to me that you have a network protocol, IPX/SPX installed on your system that shouldn't be. If it is at regular intervals, more than likely your IP address is renewing it's lease.
Member with 109 posts.

20-Dec-2005, 04:46 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBClark
How are you accessing the internet? Dial-up, Cable/DSL, Home Network/Router? Operating System?

It looks to me that you have a network protocol, IPX/SPX installed on your system that shouldn't be. If it is at regular intervals, more than likely your IP address is renewing it's lease.
Thanks for your reply. I have got an ADSL connection and actually don't know where to look for the IPX/SPX on my system. How do I remove it?
Memnoch322 Memnoch322 is offline Memnoch322 has a Profile Picture
Senior Member with 880 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Dec-2005, 04:53 PM #4
If you have windows XP right click on network places and select properties. If you are connected to the modem via ethernet you will have an Icong labeled local area connection right click on that and select properties. You will see a box that has a list of protocols that are installed on the adapter. You can uncheck IPX or uinstall it. If you use a USB connection there will be a 1394 connection and just do the same thing. If you are not sure just check each connection and disable IPX

20-Dec-2005, 04:56 PM #5
Start-->control panel-->network connections-->right click connection-->click properties.

Look in list for NWLink or IPX/SPX, may be in same line. If it is there, I would uninstall it. If there is some odd reason that you do need it, it can be reinstalled.
Member with 109 posts.

20-Dec-2005, 05:30 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBClark
Start-->control panel-->network connections-->right click connection-->click properties.

Look in list for NWLink or IPX/SPX, may be in same line. If it is there, I would uninstall it. If there is some odd reason that you do need it, it can be reinstalled.
Thank you DBClark. I followed your instructions and so far I haven't been disconnected! It seems to be working now properly but time will tell!

20-Dec-2005, 06:26 PM #7
Your welcome!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!