Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Comcast & IP address

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: betwn intermediate and advanced
30-Jan-2006, 05:05 PM #1
Comcast & IP address
I finally decided to go with highspeed internet at the beginning of the year. I know, it took me long enough. However I cannot get a connection. I have been on the phone with Comcasts support to many times. I cannot seem to connect to their network. I keep getting 0.0.0.0 for my IP address. I am using Windows XP. I have turned off my firewall, installed all window updates. I installed an ethernet card, which is correctly installed and the drivers. The funny thing is, I dial-up through my AOL and when I am logged in, my computer does go alot faster than it used too. Comcast says everything is correct on their end. Does anyone have any idea's? The last thing I can think of is to completely wipe my computer and reinstall everything. I don't really feel like doing this. SO, if anyone has any idea's or can help me, it would be appreciated. Thanks!! Plus I don't have an XP disk! lol Also, I right click LAN and make sure it is enabled.

Jenn
Member with 17,584 posts.

30-Jan-2006, 05:22 PM #2
How do you connect to Comcast?

Is it by DSL, and therefore via a router?
If so what router make model?

The IP addresses needed for that would be one to connect your PC to the Router (which would be 192.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x or similar, the router should get it's address from Comcast which will be different again.

Are you communicating with the Router OK? Is the router receiving the DSL signal OK?

Just so much we do not know here.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,213 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Jan-2006, 05:24 PM #3
Is this Wired ethernet or USB or wireless? Are you useing a router or is this direct connect to the modem? Are you seeing any activity under LAN or High Speed Connections?
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

30-Jan-2006, 05:46 PM #4
Let's also schlep this over to Networking where it should be.

30-Jan-2006, 06:07 PM #5
It is cable. I am trying to connect through an Ethernet card. I've tried through usb also. I would prefer to connect through my enternet.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 469 posts.

30-Jan-2006, 06:23 PM #6
Your ISP probably does not have DCHP. You will need to manually configure an IP address, along with the DNS servers. The reason AOL works, is because it configures your TCP/IP settings for you. If you look before you sign on, under Location, you will see either TCP/IP or Broadband Connection. If you were to select Home, or your old connection, it would be dial-up speed.

30-Jan-2006, 06:51 PM #7
my aol is dial-up. I have my computer set to automatically detect IP address. Comcast, my internet provider has not told me I could do it manually. I will call them to see if I can. Also, stupid question, what is DCHP
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 469 posts.

30-Jan-2006, 06:58 PM #8
DHCP, automatically configures your TCP/IP settings. It is good for general usage, but to play games, you will need to manually configure your settings, in order to keep a Static IP address. With DHCP enabled, expect your IP address to change roughly once a month.
Member with 14,681 posts.

30-Jan-2006, 07:45 PM #9
Comcast Home always uses DHCP, you don't have a static IP unless you have a business account or ordered one specially. Are you using a router, or connected directly to the cable modem?
Computer Specs
Member with 7,213 posts.

30-Jan-2006, 10:35 PM #10
Can you do this?

If your not using a router -

Power off the cablemodem and make sure there is a straight through (not crossover) ethernet cable connected from the cablemodem to the PC's ethernet jack.
Check the device manager to ensure it shows a Network Adapter that is not disabled.
Verify in you LAN or High Speed connections that your adapter has TCP/IP set to automatice for everything.
Turn off the PC.
Power on the modem wait a couple minutes.
Power on the PC wait a couple minutes.
go to start/run/type in "cmd" without quotes/Click Ok/in the black box type in "ipconfig /all" again without quotes/hit enter/copy all the displayed information and paste it here.

If your using a router -

Power off the cablemodem and make sure there is a straight through (not crossover) ethernet cable connected from the cablemodem to the WAN port on the router.
Power off the router and make sure there is a straight through (not crossover) ethernet cable connected from the routers LAN ports (usually 1-4) to your PC.
Check the device manager on the PC to ensure it shows a Network Adapter that is not disabled.
Verify in you LAN or High Speed connections that your adapter has TCP/IP set to automatice for everything.
Turn off the PC.
Power on the modem wait a couple minutes.
Power On the router wait a couple minutes.
Power on the PC wait a couple minutes.
go to start/run/type in "cmd" without quotes/Click Ok/in the black box type in "ipconfig /all" again without quotes/hit enter/copy all the displayed information and paste it here.

31-Jan-2006, 01:12 AM #11
I am directly connected to the cable modem from my ethernet card. The problem is that it is SUPPOSED to automatically detect. I have already followed all of the steps above. Comcasts support was on the phone with me for an hour on two separate occasions. I was reading online that there are updates for XP. XP home edition originally was not set up to be able to do this. I installed the updates but it didn't work! Also, I am not using a router.
Senior Member with 944 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
31-Jan-2006, 01:27 AM #12
did you use their CD to configure your settings? Uninstall AOL you can always install it later. Open the control panel and double click the internet options. Click the connections tab make sure never dial up is selected. Remove any Dial up settings in there then click LAN settings. Make sure only the top automatic detect settings is selected and that should work. If it is not re-seat the ethernet card and check to see if it is working in your device manager.
Member with 3,477 posts.

31-Jan-2006, 07:13 AM #13
After all of that do two more things: Go into the Device Manager and Make sure the NIC is working properly (no yellow exclamation mark next to ethernet adapter) and then from a Commnad Prompt ping 127.0.0.1 and see what you get.
Computer Specs
Member with 55,546 posts.

31-Jan-2006, 07:17 AM #14
How do I configure my Comcast High-Speed Internet Windows connection settings?
Windows95/98/ME
Windows NT
Windows 2000
Windows XP

http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/inde...ction117638#95

31-Jan-2006, 12:09 PM #15
They gave me some kind of CD, that I installed. I think they were drivers. I will try uninstalling my aol. Thanks!
Also, I have been in device manager. Everything is working properly. no exclamations.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!