Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to connect Brother MFC to dsl modem

(!)

Member with 146 posts.

30-Jan-2006, 06:00 PM #1
Question How to connect Brother MFC to dsl modem
I can't recall how to connect my Brother MFC 5440CN to my computer. The MFC has a fax which I want operational, and I have a DSL external modem. So starting at the telephone jack where do I put the wires to connect MFC > computer > DSL modem.

Thanking you in advance. I'm so frustrated as I've done it before but not enough to remember how to do it again and I just moved. This time I'm going to tape the instructions to the printer!
Senior Member with 644 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Jan-2006, 09:27 PM #2
Looking at the manual....just plug a phone line in from a wall jack into the MFC's jack labeled (Line), unless you are using an answering machine.(TAD) You need a DSL filter in line with that connection.

The printer is then hooked up to your computer with either usb cable or parellel printer cable.
Member with 146 posts.

30-Jan-2006, 09:42 PM #3
I am a bit confused. I take phone cord from jack and plug into printer outlet named line then hook USB cord from printer to computer into printer outlet.....alright i understand that....what about the DSL modem? what gets hooked from where into it?

thanks

30-Jan-2006, 09:57 PM #4
Quote:
what about the DSL modem? what gets hooked from where into it?
As far as the DSL modem is concerned...there is no connection from the modem to the printer.

Are you using the computer and modem now? Or do they need to be connected?
Member with 146 posts.

30-Jan-2006, 10:01 PM #5
I am using the computer now and it is connected to the DSL. I can print from the computer to the printer. I am just unable to fax from the printer (i am not referring to PC faxing). It is something I have done for the past year but since moving I cannot remember how to reconnect the same way.

30-Jan-2006, 10:02 PM #6
The line from the wall jack, with a DSL line filter, should give you faxing capabilities.
Member with 146 posts.

30-Jan-2006, 10:04 PM #7
are you saying i need to use a double jack so i have an unfiltered phone line running to my DSL modem and a filtered phone line running to my printer?

30-Jan-2006, 10:20 PM #8
You hook your mfc up to a regular phone line, just as you would a regular telephone! Do you have any line filters left from your DSL install kit. Without the filter, a call/fax will interfere with you internet connection,
Member with 146 posts.

31-Jan-2006, 11:39 AM #9
yes i have a filter available and it is connected to the phone jack that goes to the printer/fax machine

31-Jan-2006, 01:00 PM #10
I'm now getting somewhat confused. If you did or now have it connected to the phone jack on the wall, with a filter installed....is it now working or not? If the line is good then you should be good to go! NO?
Member with 146 posts.

10-Dec-2006, 08:10 PM #11
Thumbs up Resolved
No I didn't get it operational. I did end up getting a new printer though for other reasons. Thank you for the help.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!