Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Wireless network disconnects constantly on one computer

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Advanced
21-Feb-2006, 10:11 PM #1
Solved: Wireless network disconnects constantly on one computer
I have a wireless home network set up with 3 desktop computers and 3 laptops. Most of the computers have no problems, but one gets disconnected almost immediately if the network is left idle for a short time (usually takes less than a minute). The only way I can stay connected is to constantly download a file, browse online without stopping, play a game online, etc. If I stop, Windows (XP SP2) still displays the network as connected (usually with Excellent or Very Good Signal Strength), yet I cannot do anything online. I can't even successfully ping the router (a Netgear WGT624 v2) until I disconnect from the network, then reconnect. Simply clicking repair does not fix anything.

My network adapter is an Airlink101 AWLH3026 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter. I have all power saving options disabled, so I don't believe the adapter is turning itself off. I previously had an Airlink101 router, but moved and it got lost, so I now have the Netgear router. I never had any problems connecting the other router. If I use my laptop in the same room as the desktop, it has no problems, so I don't think the location of the computer is a problem.

Any suggestions of what could be causing this problem on this computer? Thanks in advance, and feel free to ask any questions for further clarification...

-Jeff
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

22-Feb-2006, 09:35 AM #2
Could there be some device interferring with the signal that's close to this machine? I'd also point out, if you have six wireless machines on the same AP/router, I suspect you can get pretty sluggish performance if a bunch of them are active.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 53,063 posts.

22-Feb-2006, 12:28 PM #3
i had this week a problem with a mates secure wireless two laptops both wireless - 1 kept losing the connection, it turned out to be the cordless phone - he changed channels and its been fine since

22-Feb-2006, 04:45 PM #4
Thanks for the responses. I don't think anything would be causing interference... no home phone and I don't have any new devices on the computer, but to make sure the wireless card is getting a good signal I just turned my computer around, so the back is facing the door, and so far no disconnects. I'll try changing the channel as well, if problems do arise.

As for sluggish performance, if I do notice it's bad, is it possible to get a second router, and just plug it into the first one, and maybe put it on a different channel? Thanks.

EDIT: Disconnects are continuing. Also, I've tried a few different channels, and they don't seem to be fixing anything. Right now I'm doing extra spyware scans, just to be sure...

Last edited by j262144; 22-Feb-2006 at 06:06 PM..

22-Feb-2006, 11:15 PM #5
Alright, got a new router, no more problems. I guess Netgear just didn't want to work for me. Thanks for the help.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!