Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Modem port conflicts

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

26-Feb-2006, 01:12 PM #1
Unhappy Modem port conflicts
Until recently I used dial-up for my internet/email service. I switched to broadband cable modem however, but still check my emails using my still valid dial-up account. This weekend I also installed the Lexmark Fax Solutions software on my desktop allowing me to send and receive faxes through the WS and the Lexmark printer. This naturally uses the same modem used for my dial-up. It is not a dedicated fax line (i.e. also used for voice calls). After some problems getting this installed all seems to be fine although have no actually exchanged faxes yet. However, the very first time (after having installed this fax capability) I tried to make my dial-up connection to check email still going to my old account I received an error 676 phone line busy. I checked the phone line and the dial tone is fine. I tried troubleshooting and believe I may have some sort of port conflict. Troubleshooting says my modem is fine but when I try "query modem" I get a respnse saying that "the port that the modem is using is currently open by another application. Exit any application that may currently be using that port." I have been unsuccessful trying to figure out where to look next - any hekp will be greatly appreciated.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,781 posts.

26-Feb-2006, 03:41 PM #2
The first place I would look is in the Notification Area (System Tray if pre-XP) to see if the Lexmark Fax Solutions software is running. The second place I would look is in Task Manager for evidence of the same software.

With luck you'll find it in the Notification Area and there will be an option to disable it or exit from it.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

27-Feb-2006, 09:10 PM #3
I located the notification area but did not find the lexmark software running except when I activate it. I reckon I might have set up my dial up again or uninstall the Lexmark Fax program.
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 46,606 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Feb-2006, 03:08 PM #4
If you were just going to use the dial-up for checking e-mails, you may want to see if you can check your e-mails using your new broadband connection. What e-mail software are you using for checking the old account? From experience, I know that MS-Outlook, Outlook Express and AOL Mail don't care if you are contacting the mail server via dial-up or broadband. You may have to set the software to use any available connection instead of dial-up only.

As for possible port conflicts, is the faxing software set to automatically receive incoming faxes? It may have some small program running that is tieing up the modem waiting for an incoming call.

--
Chuck W.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!