Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Will third-party DSl modem work w/frontiernet?

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Mar-2006, 05:16 PM #1
Will third-party DSl modem work w/frontiernet?
I've had frontiernet DSL for about a year now. My setup is a (ISP-provided) Speedstream 5200 DSL modem/router (it's a router, but it only has one port), connected to twisted-pair phone line (filters in place) on WAN side, then connected via ethernet cable to a Netgear wireless router/4-port switch. The problem I'm having is that I have two routers and the complex port-forwarding that requires. Sooo, I tried simplifying matters by purchasing a Netgear ADSL modem/4portswitch/wireless router/firewall/everything. I want to reduce my setup down to POPL-filter-Netgear-LAN, BUT just as I was about to hook everything up, I called Frontier to ask if I needed to update them on the new MAC address for the new modem. That's when the tech at Frontier told me it wouldn't work. According to him, they have Speedstream put some sort of proprietary programming put on their modems before they leave the factory, and modems without this programming won't work on their network. I'm ready to roll, but should I even try it? Is what he's saying a load of BS? Or am I out of luck?

Thanks,
Will
Senior Member with 1,625 posts.

Experience: Advanced, but always ready to learn more!
17-Mar-2006, 06:35 PM #2
Frontiernet sounds States-side so obviously I couldn't answer with certainty, but it sure sounds like a load of bull.

But your tech support people may have been saying they use MAC address authenication and if so most Netgear routers (you don't mention the model) allow for MAC address cloning. So you could try cloning the MAC address of either the PC or the Speedstream 5200 modem/router into the Netgear and see if that gains you access.

I think you're going to have to suck-it -and-see if you want to find out!
Computer Specs

18-Mar-2006, 01:16 PM #3
Yup, they're lying *******s. It works fine, even using netgear's "setup wizard" (which never worked before on my weird network). Thanks!
Computer Specs

18-Mar-2006, 01:18 PM #4
Wow, sorry, I didn't think that was that bad of a word, but apparently it is.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,349 posts.

18-Mar-2006, 03:11 PM #5
I'm guessing that coulterp is correct--all you have to do is configure properly and maybe clone the old modem's MAC to the new modem/router.

But, if it doesn't work, your current setup will work without the double port forwarding if you connect to the Netgear via LAN instead of WAN port--see JohnWill's famous "connecting two SOHO broadband routers."
Senior Member with 1,625 posts.

Experience: Advanced, but always ready to learn more!
18-Mar-2006, 04:08 PM #6
Agree totally with TerryNet - if you want to continue using the Speedstream 5200 DSL then the JohnWill "connecting two SOHO broadband routers." adivce is the way to go.
It was just I thought you had already purchased the Netgear ADSL modem/4portswitch/wireless router/firewall and wanted to proceed on the basis of using that.
But it looks like you're up and running. Good luck!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!