Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Wireless Networking IBM Thinkpad

(!)

Junior Member with 22 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Apr-2006, 01:46 PM #1
Wireless Networking IBM Thinkpad
I am trying to get my brother's laptop computer to work wirelessly with my Linksys Router to make sure it works. I disabled Windows Firewall, enabled the wireless connection and disabled the wired LAN connection. Under Wireless Network Connection, it finds my router but won't connect. It reads "Windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no longer be in range. please refresh the list of available networks and try to connect again." I then refresh and try to connect and the cycle continues. It shows my router has having a very good signal strength.

I had originally been unable to even view my router initially. So, I tried to setup a network connection on the laptop with my system. I now can see the router but can't connect to it.

The wireless card is listed as a "High Rate Wireless LAN MiniPCI Combo Card." I can't find a driver for it to update.

I don't know what to do next.

Thank you.

Last edited by dj928; 02-Apr-2006 at 02:10 PM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 53,060 posts.

07-Apr-2006, 01:17 PM #2
has this router ever worked?
If this is the first time you have tried - I would check if you have secruity enabled on the router
do you have a cordless phone - I have had lots of problems just this week with secruity and cordless phones
taking secruity off - and checking it all works and if it does - changing channels usually fixes

post and IPCONFIG /all

whats the router set up for DHCP ??

TWO Methods

ONE ---------------------------------
start
run
cmd
ipconfig /all

rightclick in the box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

TWO -----------------------------------------------

Start, Run, CMD to open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

07-Apr-2006, 03:46 PM #3
Yes, the router has worked fine with my computer. I am giving it to my brother. After posting my original post, his computer was finally able to view the router, but it would not connect. There was no error message given - it just showed the "trying to connect" message - then nothing ever happened after that. I won't have access to his computer and router until Sunday. We live a few hours apart. I posted this when he was visiting.

While I was having this problem, I was able to connect easily to the same brand of router (my personal one) with my computer, so I don't think the cordless was affecting it. When I have cordless problems, I just get a red X on the connections icon and have to wait until the call ends to reconnect.

09-Apr-2006, 07:00 PM #4
Update, now the computer (IBM) can see other routers in the neighborhood but cannot see the router in the home. A second laptop (Dell) can see the router and connect to it, but the internet has now stopped working with the Dell. Internet worked fine at first - then abruptly stopped. Changing channels has not helped. This router has been sent in to be tested by Linksys and was determined to be working fine.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!