Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Wireless Network Keeps Losing Connection

(!)

Computer Specs
Senior Member with 293 posts.

07-Apr-2006, 04:03 PM #1
Wireless Network Keeps Losing Connection
Ok, here's the deal. I have a Comcast Cable Modem. I have a Lynksys Wireless-G Router (Speed Booster Model) hooked up to it. There is only two computers running off it. The computer I am on now is in another room (about 20 feet away), and has a wireless card in it (Also Speed Booster Model). My set-up has been working fine for almost a year. Then, recently, the computer with the wireless card keeps disconnecting. I mean, it doesn't even detect a wireless network in the whole house. Then, when this happens, I rush on too my other computer that is hooked directly to the router, and it is still connected and works fine. So I know there is nothing wrong with my Comcast Cable. Why is this all of a sudden happening? It disconnects and reconnects about 10 times a day (disconnections usually last about 10 minutes).

Also, my speed has always been 54 Mbps consistantly. Now it fluctuates (not rapidly) from 54 to 48 to 36. I notice the Mbps going down right before my computer loses connection.

I have have let windows repair the connection countless amount of time. Well, it can only do it about a quarter of the time because my computer won't even detect a wireless network to connect to and repair!

Why did it start doing this. I never had a problem before for almost a whole year. I haven't changed anything with either computer or modified my network or modem in any way. Is there something wrong with the wireless card itself? Or maybe the router?

Thanx in advance.
Senior Member with 650 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Apr-2006, 05:43 PM #2
have you tried changing the channel of the wireless router? at least your getting some conectivity, i had an issue similar to this but i couldnt get enough access time to register the wireless pc for a dns address
Computer Specs

07-Apr-2006, 08:06 PM #3
i'm not sure wat u mean. u mean pluging the cable into a different port?
Computer Specs
Member with 317 posts.

07-Apr-2006, 09:39 PM #4
Believe it or not, the router could possibly be dying. I had a very similar situation with the disconnection issue, and I called Verizon to resolve it. And after lots of troubleshooting, it came down to the router being dead.

Try plugging the ethernet cable into the router then into a pc, see if the connection is good. If it is, then it possible can be another issue altogether.
Computer Specs

07-Apr-2006, 10:12 PM #5
thats how i have it. the modem is connected to the router, which is then connected to my PC and the connection is fine.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,010 posts.

08-Apr-2006, 10:12 PM #6
Wireless interference or the router or adapter is getting flaky.

If a neighbor started up a wireless network on the same or close channel, that could be a cause. You don't "see" a network, but the SSID broadcast could be disabled. Try another channel, as was suggested earlier.

You sure you didn't put a microwave, TV or other interference in the path between router and wireless computer? Recently got a great deal on a 2.4Ghz cordless phone?

Try without using the Speedbooster option. Try it without encryption.

Go into Device Manager and uninstall the wireless adapter, restart the computer, and install the adapter again. Do again, but this time also physically remove the card after the uninstall. Then insert it again very securely.

Reset the router to factory settings and then reconfigure it.
Computer Specs

08-Apr-2006, 10:29 PM #7
Yes I did just get a 2.4 Ghz phone and it is sitting about 2 feet from my router

Is the phone causing it? because if its a possibility, i will remove the phone before i try anything else that was suggested.
Computer Specs
Member with 88 posts.

09-Apr-2006, 05:39 AM #8
i have been having the same problem with bekin i have changed the chanel for the netowrk now and its just about fixed my problem its still no as good as i would like but it will do
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,010 posts.

09-Apr-2006, 12:54 PM #9
The 2.4Ghz cordless is the probable cause. To test, unplug it and remove the battery from the handset. If the phone is the problem, sometimes you can get around it, or lessen the problem, by changing channel (from 1 to 11, or 11 to 1, etc.) per elmo7's post.
Computer Specs

09-Apr-2006, 01:21 PM #10
Well i unplugged it last night and havent experienced the problem yet. i mean it hasnt been a long period of time. but i will post an update on wat happens. thanks for everyone's help, and if the problem persists, i will try some of the other stuff mentioned
Computer Specs

09-Apr-2006, 09:40 PM #11
wow, i think having that phone next to my router was the problem. haven't had a problem all day. still cant be sure that was the problem unless every is ok for a few day. but i have a feeling that was the problem, thanx!
Junior Member with 2 posts.

14-Apr-2006, 05:17 PM #12
wow... the exact same router ... the exact same problem .. the exect same type of phone.... but this one is a "high range model" it causes the interfearance enywhere in the house.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

14-Apr-2006, 05:22 PM #13
erp ... nope i double checkedand it's not the phone.. also my 2 macs and my other laptop work jusdt fine ... i belive that the problem is because of the router (i have gotten lucky before and had a few days without the problem)
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Apr-2006, 08:00 PM #14
change the channel in the router and then try hard reseting the router it may well work ,it worled for lot of times
Junior Member with 19 posts.

22-Apr-2006, 08:06 PM #15
HI there

Just go ahead and increase the channel in the router or do a hard reset on the router
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!