Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Wireless connection keeps dropping

(!)

Member with 2,107 posts.

10-Apr-2006, 12:24 AM #1
Solved: Wireless connection keeps dropping
Using Linksys wireless usb network adapter with Linksys g broadband router. Wireless connection keeps dropping every five or ten minutes. Equipment is only three months old and has been working fine up until yesterday when we switched wired versus wireless connections. Daughter was wireless (e-machine running windows xp home sp2) now wired (new computer built custom with windows 2003) and mine was wired(HP) now wireless (still HP running windows xp home - sp2). She never had a problem with connection dropping now I do.
Member with 380 posts.

10-Apr-2006, 11:40 AM #2
Check to make sure you have updated drivers for the wireless adapter and also that you have the latest firmware update for your router
Computer Specs
Member with 1,695 posts.

Experience: Death & Taxes
10-Apr-2006, 12:17 PM #3
is the router in an area by itself, I had problems when I was a virgin to wireless and had my wireless phone receiver sitting about 12" from the router.
Member with 22,468 posts.

10-Apr-2006, 04:10 PM #4
Also what is the signal strength when you can connect. Might be a good test just to move the computer that is having problems next to the router to eliminate at least that as being part of the problem.
Member with 2,107 posts.

10-Apr-2006, 05:25 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cerelli
Also what is the signal strength when you can connect. Might be a good test just to move the computer that is having problems next to the router to eliminate at least that as being part of the problem.
Signal strength is 11 mbps (excellent) when connected. As a matter of fact, since my daughter moved her computer into her room she is now closer to my computer than she was before when she was using the wireless connection and I was hard wired to the router. She needs the hard wired connection for her online gaming. But this problem exists whether she is on line or not so it isn't as if she's 'drawing' from my signal with her new gaming computer.

10-Apr-2006, 05:33 PM #6
I wouldn't think the wired computer would have anything to do with the wireless problem. Just wanted to check what the signal strength was on it.
Member with 2,107 posts.

10-Apr-2006, 05:44 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapeuup
is the router in an area by itself, I had problems when I was a virgin to wireless and had my wireless phone receiver sitting about 12" from the router.
Got rid of the 2.4 ghz cordless phone a while back. Router is in a similar setup as I had it when it was by my computer.

10-Apr-2006, 05:52 PM #8
Are there any power settings on the USB wireless adapter?
Member with 2,107 posts.

10-Apr-2006, 06:02 PM #9
Quote:
Are there any power settings on the USB wireless adapter?
No settings of any kind on the adapter. I'm set to Channel 11 on the router

10-Apr-2006, 06:14 PM #10
What do you need to do in order to get the connection working again? Reboot the computer? Restart the router? Wait?

Can you check what IP address you have when you disconnect.
Can you ping the router when you disconnect.

To confirm that the wireless USB adapter is not part of the problem, can you use the wireless card that was being used before when it did work.

Last edited by Bob Cerelli; 10-Apr-2006 at 06:34 PM..
Member with 2,107 posts.

10-Apr-2006, 11:08 PM #11
Quote:
What do you need to do in order to get the connection working again? Reboot the computer? Restart the router? Wait?

Can you check what IP address you have when you disconnect.
Can you ping the router when you disconnect.

To confirm that the wireless USB adapter is not part of the problem, can you use the wireless card that was being used before when it did work.
Sometimes it will reconnect automatically, other times I have to click on "View available wireless networks" to reconnect.

10-Apr-2006, 11:26 PM #12
Since it drops so quickly, as a test and only as a test, see what happens if you remove any security. Again, this is only for testing and not recommended to leave it this way for any long duration if you are worried about neighbors using your Internet connection.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 65,961 posts.

11-Apr-2006, 12:41 PM #13
Keep going with Bob's suggestions, but also make sure that this is not a problem of the USB adapter being powered down. I have that problem on my desktop, and on my old laptop when running on battery. You hear the sound of a USB device being disconnected, the adapter has no power, then you hear the sound of a USB device being plugged in, and the adapter goes back to work.
Member with 2,107 posts.

11-Apr-2006, 03:59 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet
Keep going with Bob's suggestions, but also make sure that this is not a problem of the USB adapter being powered down. I have that problem on my desktop, and on my old laptop when running on battery. You hear the sound of a USB device being disconnected, the adapter has no power, then you hear the sound of a USB device being plugged in, and the adapter goes back to work.
Not getting anything like that. I'm sure it has something to do with my computer since my husband just got daughter's old computer working with the wireless card built in and it works fine - and he's farther from the router than I am with an additional wall in the way.

Anyway, we ran the wires for wired connection today and a friend is coming in tomorrow to crimp the adaptors ( or plugs or whatever you call them ) on the ends so we can all be wired to the router.

11-Apr-2006, 06:39 PM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet
That's why I asked the same question fairly early on.

As a test, if you have a wireless card you can use, even for just a few days, it might help determine if it is just the USB adapter or not.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!