Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Connection lost when phone rings (yes i have dsl filters)

(!)

Member with 90 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Apr-2006, 01:29 PM #1
Solved: Connection lost when phone rings (yes i have dsl filters)
I've have SBC DSL for about a year now and just about 2 weeks ago everytime the phone rings, i lose the internet connection. I replaced the filters on all the phone lines and that didn't work. Is this something that i have to call SBC about? Or is there something else wrong? I have the 2WIRE router. Thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,213 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Apr-2006, 01:49 PM #2
Is this wireless? iI so are any of your phones cordless 2.4 mhz phones? If the answer is yes in both cases check your wireless channel.
Member with 90 posts.

28-Apr-2006, 01:52 PM #3
It is a wireless router but I also have a computer wired to the router and it still loses the connection. I don't think any of the phones are 2.4MHz. One is not a cordless phone and the other we've had for years now. What should i change the wireless channel to?
Computer Specs
Member with 7,213 posts.

28-Apr-2006, 02:15 PM #4
Don't worry if your wired one drops as well its not an inteferance issue with the signal... I would possibly look at Johnwills suggesiton about getting a main line filter and running the DSL off that.
Member with 90 posts.

28-Apr-2006, 03:15 PM #5
So how do i do that? I already have filters on all the phone lines in the house.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

28-Apr-2006, 03:42 PM #6
Filters don't always do the job. Substandard interior wiring is a major source of problems with DSL, even if you properly install the filters. For a real fix, try this.

Purchase a DSL splitter and install it at the telco service entrance. Run a direct line from the DSL port on the splitter directly to the DSL modem. Connect all of the other phone instruments to the telephone output of the DSL splitter.

This is as good as it gets for DSL installations, and will usually solve in-house wiring issues.
Junior Member with 5 posts.

28-Apr-2006, 06:55 PM #7
yeh it might be a problem from ur internet provider so contact them and ask if there is a pblm with the line
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Einstein
28-Apr-2006, 07:21 PM #8
The answer is
You have a phone that is going bad. When it gets the ringer it bogs down your line signal.

I assume you have nore then one phone (doesn't everybody) un plug ONE phone at a time and observe if the problem goes away.

After a few phone you will find the offender.

BTW standard dsl filters suck.

Before cable got here I was on the edge for getting dsl , no pass filters that were 100% passive got me 20% better line speed.
Member with 90 posts.

01-May-2006, 02:15 PM #9
Thanks a lot for all the help..... I ended up calling my ISP and they said that there was something wrong with my line. So they came out this morning and were there for about 10 minutes and figured that I had a defective modem. So 10 min. later and a service fee of $60 they replaced my modem. They said that if it was anything that had to do with the line "outside of the house" that it would have been free. But they charged me to come in and replace the modem and said "see if that works and if the problem continues, call us back. So far it was working ok but i only got to try it out for about 20 min. before i had to come to work. So hopefully its solved.
Member with 90 posts.

02-May-2006, 02:49 AM #10
Ok it seems to work now. Doesn't disconnect anymore. Problem Solved.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!