Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Slow Speed on wireless laptop

(!)

Senior Member with 578 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
06-May-2006, 01:36 PM #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryNet
The date on that driver compares well with my (Dell laptop) driver for the same adapter dated 7/19/2005. Does HP provide the utility also (which, by the way, is called simply "INTEL Proset Wireless")? Other than trying the Intel utility, I'm down to about three suggestions.

If the laptop has an ethernet port, try it wired. That will determine whether it's a wireless problem (which I have been assuming) or a more general problem with the laptop.

Find a free wireless hotspot (or a friend's wireless router) and try the laptop there.

Make sure you know your router's settings, reset it to factory settings, and reconfigure it. If it is a router problem, sometimes this will "refresh" it.

I have had the laptop connected straight to the modem before and had no prolems.

It was a little "slower" than my desktop but I am thinking that is because of the laptops proccessor which is only 1.5

06-May-2006, 03:25 PM #32
Ok I finally have the Intel Proset Utility.

Had to go to Intels site and after about 30 mins of searching found it lol.

Got it downloaded and install and waiting to see if it makes a difference.

Is there anything special I need to do with the Intel Proset?

06-May-2006, 03:47 PM #33
After installing the PROSET and doing the same things that before I would lose conection...I still lose connection.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,547 posts.

06-May-2006, 10:15 PM #34
This may seem like a dumb question, but are you sure that you are using the Intel utility AND that the Windows' WZC is turned off? (Sometimes both are running, and that causes problems.)

To double check: Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services; scroll down and make sure that Windows Zero Configuration is not started. (If it is started, stop it and set its Startup type to Disabled.)

You asked earlier if this could be a router problem. That is always a possibility, but to me that seems unlikely for these disconnects. Nonetheless, two things you could try:

1. Make sure you know the router's settings, reset it to factory settings, and reconfigure it.

2. Look for a firmware update.

If none of the above pan out, I'm at the end of my knowledge, experience and even guesses.

06-May-2006, 11:10 PM #35
There is no dumb question especially with me lol. I just figured that starting the Intel Proset would not start the WZC. Did not know that it could still start or how to disable or anything else about it.

I double checked it and it was not running...however it did show in the startup column to be automatic..so i disabled it.

As for reconfiguring the router. I have done this many times when I was having the other problems. I would have to reset the router and then reconfigure to get the laptop to connect again.

But if nothing else I could always do it again now that I seem to have all other problems fixed.

When you start talking firmware and what not to me lol...it's like your talking greek lol. I dont know what you are saying.

How would I go about checking or doing an update on the firmware?

Ok I am a little dense on subjects such as these lol. I went to D-links site and found out how to do the upgrade on the firmware.

However I'm not sure if it was done right. When I followed the steps and opened the router setup page...it showed my current firmware of version 4..date of oct something. On D-Links web site...the firmware version showed to be version 4 also but had a date of december something.

So I went ahead and downloaded it. Went through the process of upgradeing but when I went back to the router setup page it still showed a date of october something. So I am not sure if the upgrade took or what.

Also it stated on D-links website that after doing the upgrade it would erase everything..pw's and all. But everything is just like it was.

Last edited by texastoy4her; 07-May-2006 at 12:35 AM..
Computer Specs

07-May-2006, 01:28 PM #36
I don't have experience with firmware updates, but it sure sounds like your attempt didn't "take."

Maybe I should have thought of the following before, but I was just so sure it was wireless interference or a driver/utility problem.

Try connecting the laptop to something else--a friend's wireless router or a free wireless hotspot (library?).

Or try connecting something else to your router--a friend's laptop or maybe borrow somebody's wireless USB adapter and try that with either of your PCs.

If you can try both of these, at least the problem should then be isolated to router or adapter.

07-May-2006, 02:23 PM #37
Im not sure if the library in this hick town has wifi ability but can check it out.

Also i just found out that my uncle now has laptop so will get with him to see about using it to hook up to the router.

Also, I guess I should have said something sooner but then again I dont know if it matters.

When I say I lose connecton, I can look at the icon by the clock and it will show still connected.

What happens...say i am playing on pokerstars...they have it set up to where you can monitor your connection status. All of a sudden my status will drop from 100% to say 10 %..which then makes it take longer for me to peform any actions.

When this is happening I can open firefox and check or do just about anything else.

This is the same type of problem I have when playing on pogo and the game "freezes" or "hangs" on me. Usually it will hang for about 20 seconds and then go back to normal. But while it is hung, I can open another browser window and do just about anything else.

12-May-2006, 06:21 PM #38
Sorry its taken so long for me to get back with ya'll but had to wait for my uncle to come in. He is a truck driver.

But any how, I could connect his laptop on my network and not have any problems.

As for trying my laptop on another network or WIFI hotspot, there isnt 1 around here.

I noticed to that after I restart my laptop and go to use the INTEL PROSET to connect to my network, it will tell me something about it being disable cause another wireless network device is communicating with the intell pro 2200 ( which is the network deviceI have on my laptop).

Dont know if it makes a difference just thought I woudl throw it out there.
Computer Specs

12-May-2006, 07:01 PM #39
"... another wireless network device is communicating with the intell pro ..."

Device? Or utility? Sometimes WZC magically comes back to life.

To double check: Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services; scroll down and make sure that Windows Zero Configuration is not started. (If it is started, stop it and set its Startup type to Disabled.)

At least with your uncle's laptop you've pretty well eliminated the router as being the problem.

12-May-2006, 07:43 PM #40
Your right it does say uitility and not device as I previously stated. This is exactly what it says.

Another wireless network utility is communicating with the intel PRO/WIRELESS adapter. To avoid conflicts, intels profile management features have been temporaily disabled.

I checked the WZC and in he status cloumn it doesnt show anything and then in the startup type it shows disabled.

13-May-2006, 08:22 PM #41
What could this other utility be? As, as far as I can tell, WZC is not on.

COuld this be causeing the problems I am having?
Computer Specs

13-May-2006, 08:50 PM #42
I don't know what that other utility is. And it very likely is causing you problems. Maybe with all the stuff we've been doing, there's an older version of Intel's utility????

Play detective. Go into Add/Remove programs and see if you can find any wireless utility looking thing that shouldn't be there.

EDIT: Look in the Startup Folder to see what's there.

Right click on an empty part of the Task Bar and select 'Task Manager." Look on the Applications tab for anything suspicious looking. Then look on the Process tab and again look for any wireless utility looking thing that shouldn't be there.

13-May-2006, 09:27 PM #43
You got me. I dont know what the other utility could be either lol.

I checked ADD/REMOVE and the only utility I could tell is there is the INTEL PROSET.

Also looked at the taskmanager and on the applications tab nothing is showing.

Other than what I have opened...Firefox.

On the proccess tab, I Don't see any other utilitys running but then again I can't really tell what all that stuff is anyways lol.

Do you think running a search for utility might find it?
Computer Specs

13-May-2006, 09:54 PM #44
I'm lost. In desperation I'd remove the Intel Proset, restart the PC, and install the Intel Proset again (keeping my fingers crossed).

14-May-2006, 04:58 PM #45
I didnt see you say this earlier .....
EDIT: Look in the Startup Folder to see what's there.

but I did now. Clcik start..all programs..start up..and nothing is in there.

I uninstalled the Intell Proset and am still experiencing the same problem.

I am starting to wonder if maybe it is something with my ISP as I have started to have some of the same problems on my desktop.

Will have to wait and call them in the morning.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!