Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Who's on my wireless network?

(!)

Member with 39 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-May-2006, 03:58 PM #1
Who's on my wireless network?
How can I find out who is using my wireless network, and what they're doing??

I don't want to stop someone from using it, but I want to find out when they are using it (connecting to my wifi router), and if possible what they're doing...

Is this possible?

the only thing I've found is in the router config system where I can see a "DHCP Allocation Table".. which has the computer names of what's connected.. but I want more info..

are there any programs I can download that give me more info, and alerts, for example, of when someone's using my wireless network..

any help would be great!

thanks
Computer Specs
Moderator with 64,000 posts.

14-May-2006, 05:40 PM #2
You enable WPA (or at least WEP 128-bit) encryption. Then the people on your network are the ones to whom you gave the passphrase. You can ask them to let you know what they are doing and when they are doing it.

And, of course, before giving the passphrase to somebody, you will make sure they are OK under the terms of your ISP agreement and somebody whom you can trust.
Member with 39 posts.

14-May-2006, 06:31 PM #3
that's not my point..

I want to know if there's a way of keeping track of peoples activities on my wireless network.
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,559 posts.

14-May-2006, 07:48 PM #4
That's a little extreme.

There are Network Monitors that can tell you whats going through your network. But as to see what they are doing, there is a program that allows you to direct connect to their machine. Other than that there's not much out there IMO
Member with 39 posts.

15-May-2006, 04:19 AM #5
ok.. thanks.
where should I look for one of these 'network monitors' then?
Senior Member with 1,625 posts.

Experience: Advanced, but always ready to learn more!
15-May-2006, 04:49 AM #6
Ethereal ( http://www.ethereal.com ) will tell at a packet level what is happening on your network.
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.

15-May-2006, 08:19 AM #7
There is also Snort, which is primarily a Linux program, but there is a Windows version too. Pretty decent too, but a pain to set up.
Member with 2,060 posts.

15-May-2006, 09:06 AM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierscoe1
that's not my point..

I want to know if there's a way of keeping track of peoples activities on my wireless network.
Why not just keep them out! Use MAC filter and only allow those listed to access the network. When we first set up our network we only had one machine that was wireless and before I learned how to set up the MAC filter, we had a Toshiba that would periodically pop up on the network - absolutely no idea who this was! I set up the MAC filter and set it to only allow listed computers access - never saw that Toshiba again. I have a Linksys router and it is located under Wireless>Wireless MAC filter.

15-May-2006, 09:10 AM #9
GD, I think he/she wants to keep track on the activities on his LAN, not the ones trying to get on it.
Trusted Advisor with 19,633 posts.

15-May-2006, 09:13 AM #10
Member with 2,060 posts.

15-May-2006, 09:19 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidus4Yuna
GD, I think he/she wants to keep track on the activities on his LAN, not the ones trying to get on it.
I realize that but, unless he/she knows who they are - nothing was said about that, why go through the bother of wondering what they are doing.

15-May-2006, 09:22 AM #12
That's my thinking too
Computer Specs
Member with 1,134 posts.

15-May-2006, 10:31 AM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierscoe1
How can I find out who is using my wireless network, and what they're doing??
If you are using a router, you can get all kinds of info using WallWatcher. It is free - shows each pc using network and what they are looking at.

http://www.wallwatcher.com/
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!