Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Networking Networking
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Stolen IP address

(!)

Member with 117 posts.

Experience: Beginner
01-Jun-2006, 03:28 AM #1
Stolen IP address
sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Is it true that people can steal your IP address and use it for their internet connection without you knowing?

I have heard that from my IP address that forums have been registered with in my name and that the language is terrible and threatening.

Can this be possible? Or is it a coincedance that the IP address is the same?

What a strange one this is
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 894 posts.

Experience: 31337
01-Jun-2006, 08:03 PM #2
Yes and No.

No; It's not easily possible to "steal" your IP. Your IP belongs to an aggregate that belongs to your carrier, or your carrier's carrier, and ultimately the registrar for your part of earth. Network carriers peer with allowed prefix-lists, which makes it very very very difficult to "steal" an IP. Now, stealing an entire network, AS, or continent that isn't exactly "in use" yet is a little different.

Yes; If your system compromised by something such as trojan, one could use your system as a proxy or TOR node to commit all kinds of fraud. Or, if you have an insecure wireless access-point, a malaced person could sit outside in the street "borrowing" your network access to commit fraud, therefore making it appear that your source network did it.

The former is nothing to worry about. The latter is a reason AV/IDS/Firewalls/good reasoning are needed.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

02-Jun-2006, 08:17 AM #3
Actually, the best defense against wireless intrusion is still WPA/WPA2 encryption on the link with a long and random key.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,925 posts.

Experience: Seasoned Professional
02-Jun-2006, 10:30 AM #4
JohnWill - I also use MAC Address filtering. That way even if someone figures out my key, they can't get on my wireless network. :-)
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,940 posts.

02-Jun-2006, 11:54 AM #5
gurutech, by "someone figures out my key" do you mean "guess it" or do you mean to "break the encryption"? I understand your point if you mean the former, but surely you agree that anybody with the tools and knowledge to break WPA, WPA2, or even WEP, has the tools and knowledge to detect an allowed MAC address, knock that PC off, and spoof the address.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

02-Jun-2006, 05:30 PM #6
MAC filtering is pretty easy to spoof, as you've already been told. He doesn't really even have to knock you off, unless you stay connected to your wireless 24hr/day, which isn't likely. Once he's figured out your MAC address, he just has to connect when you're not there.

I guess it's time for my Six Dumbest Ways To Secure Your Wireless LAN link again. Take note of the #1 item on the list.
Member with 2,925 posts.

Experience: Seasoned Professional
05-Jun-2006, 03:59 PM #7
Hmmm... I guess we learn something new every day... Never thought of MAC cloning as a possibility.

And as far as "figuring out" my WAP key, it could really go either way. Whether they cracked it or guessed it, either way they would be able to connect.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,940 posts.

05-Jun-2006, 04:04 PM #8
A WAP [sic] key should keep 'em confused!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!